Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich after Crofts [merged]

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm not saying I do. Far from it. But do football managers ever make bad signings? Yes, they do, they ALL do. Quite often as it happens. I am fairly confident this will be one.

Slade, Poyet gave him the captaincy and now Lambert so that would be 3 mistakes not including the Gillingham boss and the Welsh managers who have given him caps.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Poyet has sold him, the Gillingham boss released him, and Wales barely ever play him despite the fact they're a joke team. You can look at it both ways!

Poyet reluctantly, and the Gillingham boss just got the sack after they were relegated.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Funny how the number of people saying things like "he's not that good" and "we can easily replace him" are growing by the minute now he's going. Some of us realised he wasn't all that within a few games and got SLATED for it!

You said he was a shit.

Others said he wasn't a world beater

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone who is saying we are not going to miss him is obviously deluded. The fact that Poyet rated him as the best midfielder at the club should say tell you that.

He does the jobs that don't get noticed (by the untrained eye anyway) which is why I assume some people are not that fussed that he is going. That said, if we are going to get a decent bit of money so that Gus can go and find a replacement and maybe leave a bit left over for other parts of the squad it might be a benefit it the long term.

I can't help but think some fans suddenly seem to think we are the most attractive club in the country for players to play for, Inigo and Crofts are a reality bump, we're really not. Yes we have got a magnificent new stadium on the way but that alone is not enough. We are a mid-table league one team, who has just lost two of our best players. If the big teams in league one or above come in for our players, they're not going to think twice about going.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
all in all we are healthier in May 10 than we were in May 09 and with Poyet in charge we will continue to build - slowly,slowly catchy monkey NSC

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Exactly. The fact we're releasing people like Virgo, Forster, Crofts EXCITES me. These aren't terrible players, they're solid league one professionals, so the fact we're happy to see them go means we know we can do better. I'd rather this than we had a team with those guys in it next year, because then we'd KNOW we weren't going to go up from day one. As Gus himself says, the players at the club have proved they aren't good enough to take us up, so why keep them?

Oh please stop talking shit. Just for one day at least

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

You said us releasing Crofts excites you because it means we know we can do better.

Whereas we sold him, we didn't release him. It means that either we don't have as much money as we thought, and can't refuse a bid in the region of £300k, or we're not as attractive a proposition as we thought we were, and can't hold off a club of Norwich's stature if they want one of our players. There's no other reason to sell Crofts this early in the close season and before we've bought anyone.

None of which fills me with as much confidence as I had a month or so ago, and certainly doesn't give any reason to 'excite'.

Basically, I see the point you're trying to make, and its nonsense.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
You said us releasing Crofts excites you because it means we know we can do better.

Whereas we sold him, we didn't release him. It means that either we don't have as much money as we thought, and can't refuse a bid in the region of £300k, or we're not as attractive a proposition as we thought we were, and can't hold off a club of Norwich's stature if they want one of our players. There's no other reason to sell Crofts this early in the close season and before we've bought anyone.

None of which fills me with as much confidence as I had a month or so ago, and certainly doesn't give any reason to 'excite'.

Basically, I see the point you're trying to make, and its nonsense.

Of course we can refuse a bid of 300k. However why keep a player we can replace when he'll be upset if we don't let him go? We are not a massive club, if a bigger club comes in for one of our players, they go. That doesn't mean we can't replace them. Our budget was already good and now we've got an extra 300k to play with. Something like Prutton - Navarro - Dicker would be fine in midfield. Relax :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Alright. I hope it works out, and we replace him with a better player. Even if we do, I don't think it justifies selling Crofts in May before that better player arrives, but whatever.

Fundamentally, haven't we seen enough false dawns with players arriving with big hopes which then haven't worked out? Why get rid of someone who is working out in the hope we're bound to get better? Some Argentinian whizz-kid to get raise the flairometer and then go missing when the clock's go back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here