Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is all going to end with an alcohol ban in the stadium, maybe just for a game to start with, but it will happen. The friction between the stewards and the fans is completely unneccessary, but only seems to be getting worse. Two people brought their half time pints back to their seats last night in the East, the first was approached by a female steward and asked to go back to the concourse to finish it off, he apologised and went back. The second was called to by a male steward and told he couldn't drink in sight of the pitch. He responded by turning around and taking another swig, which was amusing for everyone but the steward who then approached. It's a bit far from me, and I was distracted by other things, so I missed the resolution but it's even becoming an issue in the East.

Perhaps some dont realise alcohol is not to be taken into the stadium seats. tbh it's not all that clear if you do t know. And also what the f has this got to do with this thread?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I can't believe someone got ejected for the Palace chant, really I can't. If this is how it is going to be, welcome to the sterile identikit world of the Amex.

Alfie87

Aug 20, 2010
See, this is my problem: I bought season tickets for me and my two sons (now 14 and 10) in the north stand on the back of the presentation we were given before the ground opened. I was actually intending to buy seats in the upper west, but was persuaded by the prospect of the singing, the banter, that a bit of colourful language would be tolerated. But I didn't want to go there so that I could stand up, so I avoided buying seats in the back four rows. However, sat in row R, I find that I'm having to stand for the majority of a match just so that I can see. Now, I don't have any problem with standing up, and would hate to think that we couldn't jump to our feet whenever Buckley gets the ball down the wing but I quite like to be able to sit down again once we'd squandered yet another chance. On the other hand, my 10 year old can't actually see if the people in front of him stand up without standing on his seat! But, what I certainly don't want is hassle from stewards, or the threat of being chucked out, just because I'm forced to stand in order to see the pitch. The club really need to get on top of this as I can only see the problem escalating over the next few matches. Whilst I'm all for doing what I'm told and not generally one from breaking rules, I refuse to attend a match and remain seated in spite of the people in front of me standing up and obscuring my view for the entire game. I might at well just listen to the match on the radio! Perhaps I was naive and shouldn't have bought tickets in the north stand in the first place, but I do enjoy the atmosphere, my boys even more so. What I don't enjoy is being filmed, eyeballed by stewards, and generally made to feel like I'm some sort of hooligan.

I reckon you could easily find a group of 3 a bit further down that would just swap seats for the season. Then everyone's happy :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry to drag this up again but I spoke to my mate who was ejected last night. Apparently there were 3 people kicked out, the first guy who apparently started the stand up if you hate palace song

But the thing is he did not, 100%, start that chant, the two "lady" stewards decided he did, just like your mate, it was a random expulsion

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
So you think it's good parenting to let them do it, regardless of the're safety??
And you think I'm an idiot ! :facepalm:

The kids have no option to stand on seats when the crowd stands. The small child in front of me does and his dad holds him around the waist. All simple and no accidents yet. Good parenting really.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
See, this is my problem: I bought season tickets for me and my two sons (now 14 and 10) in the north stand on the back of the presentation we were given before the ground opened. I was actually intending to buy seats in the upper west, but was persuaded by the prospect of the singing, the banter, that a bit of colourful language would be tolerated. But I didn't want to go there so that I could stand up, so I avoided buying seats in the back four rows. However, sat in row R, I find that I'm having to stand for the majority of a match just so that I can see. Now, I don't have any problem with standing up, and would hate to think that we couldn't jump to our feet whenever Buckley gets the ball down the wing but I quite like to be able to sit down again once we'd squandered yet another chance. On the other hand, my 10 year old can't actually see if the people in front of him stand up without standing on his seat! But, what I certainly don't want is hassle from stewards, or the threat of being chucked out, just because I'm forced to stand in order to see the pitch. The club really need to get on top of this as I can only see the problem escalating over the next few matches. Whilst I'm all for doing what I'm told and not generally one from breaking rules, I refuse to attend a match and remain seated in spite of the people in front of me standing up and obscuring my view for the entire game. I might at well just listen to the match on the radio! Perhaps I was naive and shouldn't have bought tickets in the north stand in the first place, but I do enjoy the atmosphere, my boys even more so. What I don't enjoy is being filmed, eyeballed by stewards, and generally made to feel like I'm some sort of hooligan.

I'm sorry, but in my view that is exactly the truth. Although I spose it won't be long until your boys are old enough to be able to see whilst standing!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What gets me about the situation as I heard it was the ejecting steward giving his word several times that the fella (First half) wouldnt be ejected, and thats why he went voluntarily.

Wheres the integrity of the Steward?
Just about sums Stewards up I suppose

Then having a young female steward addressing the fella - who mustav been in his forties as "Oi you" Takes the biscuit, telling him to sit down when theres 6 rows in front of him standing..................HHHMMMMM!

I mean respect is 2 way isnt it?

If i were the fella would consider legal action for slander/ maybe libel if its in writing

Well in last nights problem, and the one a couple of weeks ago (re the bloke with his shirt removed) both times because the stewards had realised that they had cocked up....... both said that a female steward had been insulted......cop out eh.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Nope not at all, the fact the seats are the folding variety i would said it is dangerous, we all know how children fidget and they can very easily end up falling through the back when it tips.
I would said it was in fact irresponsible for parents to let their children stand on them as to the danger.

Heaven forbid if these children are out with their friends climbing trees. Heaven forbid that they would be without their parent in the next seat, stewards with eyes like shit house rats, a couple probably First Aid trained, the Police monitoring from afar, the St Johns Ambulance crew around, the BHA physios, possibly a doctor or nurse in the NS........ I would be more worried if the Fat Guy was around and took a tumble near the children myself.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I asked a steward in the North why the first lot we're getting sent out and they said because they were standing. Fair enough I thought then she said in the most patronising voice, " Yeah, remember Hillsborough " . I just walked away after she said that. What a tool.

If people want to stand then you were told that the back 4 rows were the place to go. If you aren't sitting in them then, that's your own problem if you want to stand. I think the North would be a better place, atmosphere wise and certain people getting on with stewards if we were to introduce 'safe standing'. The only problem with that though I'd imagine would be elderly people who want to sit now and then who cannot stand the 90 minutes and them getting annoyed with people infront of them. I'm not sure where the club stand on this at the moment but be interesting to see what they think about the idea?

As for the steward who threw someone out for starting " Stand up if you hate P*lace ", quite frankly whoever that said steward is they need to sort it out.
Do you really think that someone was ejected for starting/joining in a song.....there is far more than that behind it....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perhaps some dont realise alcohol is not to be taken into the stadium seats. tbh it's not all that clear if you do t know. And also what the f has this got to do with this thread?

It isn't clearly marked enough in the stadium, I agree. It's not a major issue.

As for the last part, I suspect alcohol has A LOT to do with this thread. Obviously more to it than just that, but I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest if there is a restriction placed on alcohol sales before too long if the problems like those being described in this thread continue. I'm not anti-drinking, before that accusation is thrown around. I enjoy a pint before most games, it's one of the big successes of the Amex. But it's an easy thing to blame any problems on, and eventually it will be.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Do you really think that someone was ejected for starting/joining in a song.....there is far more than that behind it....

No there ducking isn't! On your bike mr conspiracy theorist, go and contribute to a JFK or twin towers thread instead. And when you're bored of them, find the Bigfoot and Yeti ones to keep you further entertained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here