Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
YES HE WAS FFS!!!!!!

50%+ people were singing that song - he was pick on because the 2 female stewards LIED to their supervisors saying HE STARTED THAT SONG - HE DID NOT - he was picked on and thrown out. IMO the anti-steward songs are 100% more antagonistic - its inevitable that when the stewards do their first sit down routine its is always met with the stand up song - 90% of the stewards accept it throw their arms up in the air pantomime like and go back down the stairs. Two minutes later they return once the song has finished and most people sit down as instructed. That's what happens.

All that has happened is those two female stewards, through their actions, have lost every ounce of respect from the fans in that section. This is the quality every steward needs more than any other - the ability to earn the respect of the fans and 98% of the time the fans will show their respect back again.
All very true...but respect has to be a two way thing...you want respect from the stewards....chanting out 'You fat Ba*****' earns you a lot of respect does'nt it,then a steward being hit or pushed over the seats,depending on which report you believe from 'I was there' fan report.
From where I was the fellow asked to leave was nearer the front than the back of the stand...picked on...you have to start somewhere to ask them to sit down,as PS says we all know that that the 'palace' song is just an excuse to hit back on being asked to sit down. Yes there is a call for safe standing but it has'nt been ratified so in the meantime obey the rules...or is it too hard for some of you?
As regards the stewards saying he would not be ejected,maybe that was the intention but they were overuled by the Police.
Had that Steward been a policeman then maybe the 'falling/hit incident would've have happened.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Standing and singing. or generating an exciting atmosphere, are not mutually exclusive.
Yes they are. The best you can do sitting down is generate an atmosphere akin to an exciting tennis match.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We've got an all seater stadium. We got lovely padded seats. Why would you want to stand up for an entire match, especially when it's as drab as the second half on Tuesday, when you've got these facilities, apart form the fact that it's breaking ground regulations? As I said earlier, I'm happy to stand up when it get's exciting, but why stay standing the whole time? I just don't get it. There's no point. I don't think I should have to move to another part of the ground - I enjoy the atmosphere in the north stand and everything else it offers. I just don't get this "We're the North Stand, we'll stand up all match" small-minded mentality.

With those comments the only small minded person is you. I respect your right to sit down for the whole game, you have about 18,000 seats to choose from if you want to do that.

Just because you don't get it, why do you not accept that some people enjoy watching the game stood on their feet?

You should learn to live and let live :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes they are. The best you can do sitting down is generate an atmosphere akin to an exciting tennis match.

It's certainly true that to sing it's easier standing, as it allows the diapragm (sp?) freer movement to inflate the lungs to sing. I'm no classicaly trained singer, but I know that choirs tend to perform standing for this reason.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
From your experience, when is a better atmosphere generated? When a stand is all-standing, or all-seated?

When a stand is ALL SINGING. Standing has little relevance these days in my experience. It's not like 20 years ago when a packed out terrace swayed you were constantly moving around in the crowd. It's just standing up for the sake of it nowadays, and I just don't it, I'm afraid.

Given earlier threads, perhaps we should introduce a 'safe singing' policy, so as not to antagonise stewards ;-)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
yes he was

Nobody has ever been ejected for singing a song...that's the reason for the 'Fans Zone' before each match to get the fans singing and supporting...you do not get thrown out for it...as I said there is more behind this than we are being told...if you are right and he gets a ban,let's see if it is for starting/signing a song...been in football long enough to know that this is a wind up song to antagonise the stewards when you have been asked to sit down

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's certainly true that to sing it's easier standing, as it allows the diapragm (sp?) freer movement to inflate the lungs to sing. I'm no classicaly trained singer, but I know that choirs tend to perform standing for this reason.

I think comparing the great unwashed of the North Stand to a choir is stretching the point somewhat !

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
When a stand is ALL SINGING. Standing has little relevance these days in my experience. It's not like 20 years ago when a packed out terrace swayed you were constantly moving around in the crowd. It's just standing up for the sake of it nowadays, and I just don't it, I'm afraid.

Given earlier threads, perhaps we should introduce a 'safe singing' policy, so as not to antagonise stewards ;-)

Would be interesting to compare the atmosphere in the North if one game was 'all seated' and the next was 'all standing'. I remember those trips to Brentford and Peterboro - the atmosphere always came from those in the seated area, never the terrace behind the goal ;-)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All very true...but respect has to be a two way thing...you want respect from the stewards....chanting out 'You fat Ba*****' earns you a lot of respect does'nt it,then a steward being hit or pushed over the seats,depending on which report you believe from 'I was there' fan report.
From where I was the fellow asked to leave was nearer the front than the back of the stand...picked on...you have to start somewhere to ask them to sit down,as PS says we all know that that the 'palace' song is just an excuse to hit back on being asked to sit down. Yes there is a call for safe standing but it has'nt been ratified so in the meantime obey the rules...or is it too hard for some of you?
As regards the stewards saying he would not be ejected,maybe that was the intention but they were overuled by the Police.
Had that Steward been a policeman then maybe the 'falling/hit incident would've have happened.

Yes, you must be correct. The stewards are all shining beacons of virtue, their yellow jacket gives them special powers where it is physically impossible for them to lie, be aggressive to supporters minding their own business or be wrong about anything ever.

Everyone who was standing 10 feet away from both incidents is wrong and didn't really see what they saw. The poor put-upon gentleman was called nasty names because he was just doing his job, he didn't bring anything on himself with his behaviour, he was bullied out of spite because the 500 or so people in the vicinity are all jealous of him.

Once again, sorry because you must've seen and heard everthing - please pass me my seatbelt!

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Although I sit in the ESU, I enjoy the crack at away games, standing and singing.
There's only one rule for me - if I'm not blocking someones's view behind me it's OK.
Personally cant see a problem with well behaved standing fans.

However no amount of ranting on here and bad mouthing stewards is going to change anything for the better.
Dialogue with the club is needed to get CLEAR agreement as to what is permissible so that fans and stewards know exactly what the rules are. Communication from the club in a lot of areas could be improved in my opinion.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
I respect your right to sit down for the whole game, you have about 18,000 seats to choose from if you want to do that.

OK, I think you've missed my point. I never said I wanted to sit down for the whole game; I just don't feel the need to stand up for the whole game. Quite different. In fact, I wouldn't even be bothered if it weren't for the fact that the stewards are getting pissed off with those who stand and there's possible some directive from above that's wanting the enforce not standing up. If it was allowed, then I'd happily stand along with everyone else. But it's actually breaking ground regulations, and I don't want hassle from stewards or anyone else just because I have to stand in order to see. That was the point I originally raised. Surely I'm not the only person who feels this way?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yes, you must be correct. The stewards are all shining beacons of virtue, their yellow jacket gives them special powers where it is physically impossible for them to lie, be aggressive to supporters minding their own business or be wrong about anything ever.

Everyone who was standing 10 feet away from both incidents is wrong and didn't really see what they saw. The poor put-upon gentleman was called nasty names because he was just doing his job, he didn't bring anything on himself with his behaviour, he was bullied out of spite because the 500 or so people in the vicinity are all jealous of him.

Once again, sorry because you must've seen and heard everthing - please pass me my seatbelt!
...And all the fans are angelic too,they never antagonise people,they don't fight amongst themselves,they never use foul and abusive language...they never shout out racism chants...as with' Bellamy' case. C'mon you bury your head in the sand if you wish,the majority of fans go to support the club and don't cause any confrontation....it's a few fans who think the rules do not apply to them...stewards are doing their job...think you could do better...join them...see the other side of the coin.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OK, I think you've missed my point. I never said I wanted to sit down for the whole game; I just don't feel the need to stand up for the whole game. Quite different. In fact, I wouldn't even be bothered if it weren't for the fact that the stewards are getting pissed off with those who stand and there's possible some directive from above that's wanting the enforce not standing up. If it was allowed, then I'd happily stand along with everyone else. But it's actually breaking ground regulations, and I don't want hassle from stewards or anyone else just because I have to stand in order to see. That was the point I originally raised. Surely I'm not the only person who feels this way?

Fair play I see what you're saying. I was actually similar to that in the days of H block at withdean, I'd rather watch the game than mess around with stewards.

My point about this, is that the situation on tuesday is entirely of the stewards making. For a season and a half there has been a natural status quo in the North stand, where most of the people towards the back are stood up and towards the front are sat down. It pretty much polices itself without the need to throw anyone out or tell people off like children. I accept that because of ground regulations, sometimes they need to tell people to sit down. So they tell people to sit down, when they have gone people who want to stand gradually do so - the stewards have done their job and are seen to be doing their job, people are enjoying the game how they want to and everyone is happy. That is how it has worked for a season and a half with very few problems or ejections.

The only time there have been problems is when they decide that they need to aggressively enforce the rules or to be heroes and save us from ourselves for our own safety. Also, having read some of the comments on here from stewards and ex-stewards, I get the feeling that some of them take it personally when people don't comply with their orders, that is also a cause of problems for a select few I think.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
...And all the fans are angelic too,they never antagonise people,they don't fight amongst themselves,they never use foul and abusive language...they never shout out racism chants...as with' Bellamy' case

Run us through that one again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Standing and singing. or generating an exciting atmosphere, are not mutually exclusive.

I think they are. When was the last time you saw a game either live on TV and though "What a cracking atmosphere" where everybody was sitting down? As Brovion says, you can sing and shout from your seat, but the atmosphere is more along the lines of a tennis match.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
...And all the fans are angelic too,they never antagonise people,they don't fight amongst themselves,they never use foul and abusive language...they never shout out racism chants...as with' Bellamy' case. C'mon you bury your head in the sand if you wish,the majority of fans go to support the club and don't cause any confrontation....it's a few fans who think the rules do not apply to them...stewards are doing their job...think you could do better...join them...see the other side of the coin.

Alternatively you could listen to the facts and stop talking shite...

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom

But surely it's fun to shout abuse at fat people? Especially fat stewards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here