Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The atmosphere against Bolton was the best for some time. Of course this had a lot to do with the way we were playing. It also had a lot to do with loads of people standing at both ends of the ground getting a bit rowdy. It's what is missing from too many stadiums these days. You only need to look abroad where standing is allowed or tolerated to see how much better the atmospheres are. Safe standing is the simple answer to many problems, one significant problem of which is this totally unnecessary conflict between stewards and loyal, passionate fans.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Everyone who was standing 10 feet away from both incidents is wrong and didn't really see what they saw.

I don't know the facts of this case and nor do many people BUT just because those in close proximity say something doesn't make it fact. Once at Withdean we'd had loads of complaints about a couple of men using foul and abusive language. I was put into the seats directly behind them for the next match and took notes of everything they shouted during the first half. It ended up being both them and the two young girls they had with them. I even recorded some of it on my mobile.

Anyway, they were pulled aside at half time and warned. They obviously went back and told people around them because at full time there was a torrent of complaints that these four people hadn't acted like that despite there being noted, recorded and filmed evidence to the contrary. So forgive me if I take with a pinch of salt anything those close by say !

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Although I sit in the ESU, I enjoy the crack at away games, standing and singing.
There's only one rule for me - if I'm not blocking someones's view behind me it's OK.
Personally cant see a problem with well behaved standing fans.

However no amount of ranting on here and bad mouthing stewards is going to change anything for the better.
Dialogue with the club is needed to get CLEAR agreement as to what is permissible so that fans and stewards know exactly what the rules are. Communication from the club in a lot of areas could be improved in my opinion.

Sensible comment

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Go to a match pretty much anywhere in the world (outside of this country) and you will find a lively atmosphere with fans standing behind the goal signing. It is impossible to regularly create decent atmospheres in all seated stadiums unless there's a large section of it standing. And if you knew anything about football, you would know that.

Harsh

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No it isn't, why would the club cut off a massive revenue stream for them?

I didn't say they would want to, or that they'd do it by choice but that is what will end up happening eventually if these kinds of incidents keep happening. They would have to ban it stadiumwide, so they won't want to but they may not have a choice if they fear fines from the FA are imminent...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I didn't say they would want to, or that they'd do it by choice but that is what will end up happening eventually if these kinds of incidents keep happening. They would have to ban it stadiumwide, so they won't want to but they may not have a choice if they fear fines from the FA are imminent...

I think this is a little naive. The regular revenue the club makes from alcohol sales will more than outweigh any potential (and unlikely imo) fines.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
For christ sakes... the ENTIRE north should be standing which would ensure the stewards have next to nothing to do every week. Said it before and i'll say it again, allocating large areas for tolerated seating is now commonplace at all major UK football grounds. Next time you watch match of the day or similar, take notice of what's happening behind most goals - the stewards are happily letting whole stands full of people stand up to enjoy the game (and thus generating a much better atmosphere). If anybody can be bothered, you could find countless screen shots from last night's match of the day to highlight this.

If you don't want to stand, don't go in the North.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Look at the champions League last week, an extreme example but Galatasary, fans generated an amazing atmosphere, most were standing and singing all of the game. Most of the bigger European teams are like it. However, on the other hand, the Vicente Calderon, one of the best atmospheres in Spain, when I went last year we were in the stands and were not aloud to stand? The noise was still incredible though.

I dont mind the odd stand up and love singing so if anyone is not a fan, I am in North block D about 12 rows back, we sit pretty much all game. Would be happy to swap my seat for two others in the North if people arent happy to stand the whole game?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
allocating large areas for tolerated seating is now commonplace at all major UK football grounds.

I think, though I'm not sure, that they even have a name for this - all seat stadia !!! :p

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A few granted but not "a lot". It breaks down into four general groups :

1. Students looking for beer money.
2. Second jobs for those needing extra money while still holding down a full time job - when I did it this included a butcher, taxi driver, sports therapist, teachers, firemen, IT professionals and bank staff. Hardly stupid people.
3. "Professional" stewards - usually bouncers and event staff.
4. Retired people looking to top up their pension.

Group 3 are the smallest group yet the group that causes the most "trouble". Beware any steward that holds an SIA badge.

You have but you probably just didn't know it - the emergency first aid they've all trained in just in case you need it or the security sweeps of the stadium before a match to name but two ways they have, and continue, to "look after" you.

This is nonsense and you should know that if you have been a steward. SIA trained stewards will be good and bad in equal measure as all the other groups you mentioned. Louise who was mentioned earlier in the thread is SIA trained, I know this because she works with me at her other job. Some of the other doormen at my place of work have also stewarded at the Amex and they are all polite and reasonable people.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I don't know the facts of this case and nor do many people BUT just because those in close proximity say something doesn't make it fact. Once at Withdean we'd had loads of complaints about a couple of men using foul and abusive language. I was put into the seats directly behind them for the next match and took notes of everything they shouted during the first half. It ended up being both them and the two young girls they had with them. I even recorded some of it on my mobile.

Anyway, they were pulled aside at half time and warned. They obviously went back and told people around them because at full time there was a torrent of complaints that these four people hadn't acted like that despite there being noted, recorded and filmed evidence to the contrary. So forgive me if I take with a pinch of salt anything those close by say !

What are you some sort of KGB spy ? Get a grip this is football where passions run high ! think the cruciable is your limit mate.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
This is nonsense and you should know that if you have been a steward. SIA trained stewards will be good and bad in equal measure as all the other groups you mentioned. Louise who was mentioned earlier in the thread is SIA trained, I know this because she works with me at her other job. Some of the other doormen at my place of work have also stewarded at the Amex and they are all polite and reasonable people.

I didn't say all of them just that when there is an issue you can generally guarantee there's an SIA trained steward involved. To be in the Response Teams at Withdean you had to hold an SIA badge - the attitude of many on those teams was as far away from customer service or safety that you could get. Many strolled around believing themselves to be "enforcers". It may have changed at the Amex but I doubt it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
What are you some sort of KGB spy ? Get a grip this is football where passions run high ! think the cruciable is your limit mate.

No, I was someone doing the job asked of them ( and watching the match at the same time ! ).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I didn't say all of them just that when there is an issue you can generally guarantee there's an SIA trained steward involved. To be in the Response Teams at Withdean you had to hold an SIA badge - the attitude of many on those teams was as far away from customer service or safety that you could get. Many strolled around believing themselves to be "enforcers". It may have changed at the Amex but I doubt it.

I suppose if you set a group of bouncers and call them the 'Enforcement Team' you can expect them to behave a certain way. Personally, I still feel I am correct though, if I worked as a steward I would be included in your rogue group because I have an SIA badge, I've never worked as a bouncer but my management role includes a lot of dealing with drunk people and it is useful.

Personally I would like the club to use a similar system to that which we employ at my place of work. That is a simple three strike rule, where the individual is informed of what is happening at each stage.

1. A gentle warning that their behaviour is outside the rules of the venue (in this case the Amex). This would be given by the nearest steward to the incident, this steward would then move away, so as to avoid confrontation.
2. A stronger warning, explaining that they are running the risk of being ejected. Again, the steward that gives this warning should move away this time to be replaced by the senior steward for this area/stand manager
3. Final warning, making it clear that any repeat of bad behaviour will result in ejection.

This does not seem to happen at the Amex, in fact it too often descends in to them and us arguments between a steward and set of fans. Unfortunately, much like the catering situation there seems to be a lack of training or predefined protocol to anything that happens at the stadium with regards to staffing. If we are to be treated like customers, then we should expect the same level of customer service we would from any other business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here