Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Eurobound

Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
Have spoken to the first fan ejected at Bristol game today
He is not sure why he was ejected as he wasnt specifcally told and thinks it was either because the stewards thought he started the "Palass" chant (He didnt) or because was singing it as everyone else was.
Or when a second steward shouted "Oi you" and pulled at his shirt, telling him to sit down when everyone, and 3 or 4 rows in front were standing
Sitting down for a couple seconds then stood up to see the game- was then ejected a few minutes later

He completely denies swearing or using any abusive language against the stewards, and had only had a couple pints
A posse of stewards asked him out to "Have a chat" and was promised he would not be ejected (Naive IMO)
Police were waiting, took name address season ticket details and videod him for future reference
Being ejected from the ground, co-operated with the Police who appeared somewhat bemused at the ejection

He is awaiting some notification from the club, or, maybe not and will get to the next home game if allowed and has contacted a Sector steward whom he knows, but has had no response as yet

Sad, sad Stewarding. Wake up Albion administrators- fans wont come if you treat them with no respect

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The Amex Republican Guard. Not all by a long chalk,many are excellent but some............well.

Oct 11, 2005
London
This is all so pathetic, especially when you compare the Amex with how stadiums on the continent are run. We're looking very silly in this country.

The simple answer to all this is:

Short term: Make the entire North Stand a standing zone where anybody can stand for the entire game. No fuss. Much improved atmosphere for the players.

Long term: Introduce 'rail seats' (safe standing) in the North Stand. The Football Supporters' Federation - Safe standing - the business case

The rest of our corporate padded seat stadium is perfect for fans who want to sit all game.. there's no need for fans who either 'can't stand' or 'don't want to stand' to go in the North.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is all so pathetic, especially when you compare the Amex with how stadiums on the continent are run. We're looking very silly in this country.

Short term: Make the entire North Stand a standing zone where anybody can stand for the entire game. No fuss. Much improved atmosphere for the players.

Long term: Introduce 'rail seats' (safe standing) in the North Stand. The Football Supporters' Federation - Safe standing - the business case

The rest of our corporate padded seat stadium is perfect for fans who want to sit all game.. there's no need for fans who either 'can't stand' or 'don't want to stand' to go in the North.

Take it you are instigating a national campaign to get the law changed to accommodate you ideas!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But he wasn't was he, "that song" is mearly an excuse to wind up the stewards when they attempt to do there job.
That's why he was removed because he was antagonising the stewards.

YES HE WAS FFS!!!!!!

50%+ people were singing that song - he was pick on because the 2 female stewards LIED to their supervisors saying HE STARTED THAT SONG - HE DID NOT - he was picked on and thrown out. IMO the anti-steward songs are 100% more antagonistic - its inevitable that when the stewards do their first sit down routine its is always met with the stand up song - 90% of the stewards accept it throw their arms up in the air pantomime like and go back down the stairs. Two minutes later they return once the song has finished and most people sit down as instructed. That's what happens.

All that has happened is those two female stewards, through their actions, have lost every ounce of respect from the fans in that section. This is the quality every steward needs more than any other - the ability to earn the respect of the fans and 98% of the time the fans will show their respect back again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Does EVERYONE in the north want to stand for the entire game

Oct 11, 2005
London
Does EVERYONE in the north want to stand for the entire game

If ANYONE in the North doesn't want to stand for the entire game, they can go and sit in ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS OF OUR PADDED SEATED STADIUM. It welcomes 'sitters'.

Look at the grounds on the continent - most leagues have standing or safe standing behind the goal. As a result, tickets are cheaper, capacities are higher and atmospheres are brilliant.

Lets get behind the Safe Standing campaign and lets get the club to back it ASAP. Even P*lace are backing it. The Football Supporters' Federation - Informing, Supporting, Campaigning

You can sign the petition here: The Football Supporters' Federation - SUPPORT SAFE STANDING!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is all going to end with an alcohol ban in the stadium

No it isn't, why would the club cut off a massive revenue stream for them?

You have to laugh at football clubs. Half of the club (the players and manager) want a red hot hostile passionate home support to help them win games whilst the other half of the club (the stewards and middle management) want the fns to sit down, shut up and politely applause. Which is it Albion? Make your mind up, do we listen to Poyet / the players or the stewards and the middle managers?

This is a good point. What do you think Gus wants, the whole North Stand standing and singing and shouting like the Leeds game, or sat silently, arguing with the stewards and therefore not watching the game, like the Bristol City game? Fairly sure it's the former.

What I can't understand is why the club / stewards feel the need to get confrontational in the ground whilst the game is being played. If they have an issue with individuals that is not an immediate safety risk why not write to them and explain there concerns about there behavior or issue a warning. They know who 90% of our fans are as we are season ticket holders and sit in the same seats every week. Give the fans involved a chance to meet with the security team to discuss the issue away from the passion of a live game, alcohol, and 26,000 people watching.

Clearly that would make a lot more sense, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The thing is, it would be a lot easier to think rationally if you got a call from the club on Monday morning saying that you were observed behaving unacceptably at the game on Saturday, and that if you continued to do so in future you were risking being ejected and possibly banned from the stadium, than it is to have some thick steward on a power trip grab you and chuck you out at the time. Football is an emotional game, especially when there is alcohol involved, and the stewards cause unneccesary confrontations, part of which, I'm sure, is because some of them actively enjoy it. It's the same with riot police at derby games, some of them clearly love it, you can see it in their faces, and others clearly don't.

Do you really think that someone was ejected for starting/joining in a song.....there is far more than that behind it....

Well that was what I originally assumed, but pretty much everything I've heard since suggest that there isn't.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
If ANYONE in the North doesn't want to stand for the entire game, they can go and sit in ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS OF OUR PADDED SEATED STADIUM. It welcomes 'sitters'.[/url]

We've got an all seater stadium. We got lovely padded seats. Why would you want to stand up for an entire match, especially when it's as drab as the second half on Tuesday, when you've got these facilities, apart form the fact that it's breaking ground regulations? As I said earlier, I'm happy to stand up when it get's exciting, but why stay standing the whole time? I just don't get it. There's no point. I don't think I should have to move to another part of the ground - I enjoy the atmosphere in the north stand and everything else it offers. I just don't get this "We're the North Stand, we'll stand up all match" small-minded mentality.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
This is a good point. What do you think Gus wants, the whole North Stand standing and singing and shouting like the Leeds game, or sat silently, arguing with the stewards and therefore not watching the game, like the Bristol City game? Fairly sure it's the former.

Standing and singing. or generating an exciting atmosphere, are not mutually exclusive.

Oct 11, 2005
London
We've got an all seater stadium. We got lovely padded seats. Why would you want to stand up for an entire match, especially when it's as drab as the second half on Tuesday, when you've got these facilities, apart form the fact that it's breaking ground regulations? As I said earlier, I'm happy to stand up when it get's exciting, but why stay standing the whole time? I just don't get it. There's no point. I don't think I should have to move to another part of the ground - I enjoy the atmosphere in the north stand and everything else it offers. I just don't get this "We're the North Stand, we'll stand up all match" small-minded mentality.

You clearly know absolutely nothing about football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At my age I like to sit my padded arse on a padded seat. That's why we got tickets in WSU and that's why I've never had a problem with the stewards at the Amex. I've been a supporter of safe standing for years though and support the campaign. Fans in Germany are so better treated than here. On price, on standing on everything. No wonder so many Brighton fans pop over there for weekends. I feel sorry for youngsters growing up and finding themselves in an over sanitised, over priced football experience due to mistakes made by many people before they were born.

There was something odd about Tuesday though. Not in the WSU - as I said I love it there and the stewards are excellent - but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had decided it was crack down time. Leaving the stadium I noticed loads of police and there was even a BTP officer in full crash helmet on the Brighton bound platform at 10.15. All for 200 well behaved Bristol City scarfers on a Tuesday night??? People have talked about being filmed and it smacks to me of an operation.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories. I find them inane. But I would not be surprised if 'someone' (whether Richard Hebbard or the police or just the stewards themselves) chose a relatively quiet night to crack down on a perceived standing problem.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Really? Then please enlighten me, oh wise one, to what I don't understand.

Go to a match pretty much anywhere in the world (outside of this country) and you will find a lively atmosphere with fans standing behind the goal signing. It is impossible to regularly create decent atmospheres in all seated stadiums unless there's a large section of it standing. And if you knew anything about football, you would know that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here