Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Again it also goes back to the point I made in an earlier post in this thread, and several other posters have touched on. How the hell do you get the away supporters to sit down at all!?? It seems very hypocritical to really get tough on your own fans, and let the away fans stand. I think if the stewards tried to make that happen, there would be a full-blown riot pretty much every game in the away end! Hence, that's why it still happens at pretty much every match in this country.

And there is the problem - the club will target home supporters because they are identifiable and can ban them easily. The most they can really hope to do to an away supporter is kick them out but that often leads to more conflict ( such as Bolton ) so it's often easier just to keep them in the stadium ( where you have some kind of control over them ) and turn a blind eye. I'm not saying it's right but as yet nobody seems to have come up with a better solution.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And there is the problem - the club will target home supporters because they are identifiable and can ban them easily. The most they can really hope to do to an away supporter is kick them out but that often leads to more conflict ( such as Bolton ) so it's often easier just to keep them in the stadium ( where you have some kind of control over them ) and turn a blind eye. I'm not saying it's right but as yet nobody seems to have come up with a better solution.
Exactly. Every time this topic comes up I mention that I've seen a lot of Newcastle games over the years as an away fan, usually when Newcastle are playing in London. Every time I've stood no problem - along with about 3000 other Newcastle fans. This is tolerated by the authorities. Consequently anyone who says 'standing isn't allowed' is wrong; it may be technically illegal but you ARE allowed to stand for a whole match in an all-seater stadium. Any cursory viewing of the crowd on MoTD will confirm this. All we're asking for is some consistency. As you say IF they tried to enforce the letter of the law then there could be problems, consequently they hope that by bullying a few people everybody else will fall into line.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The sad fact is that until the more over zealous stewards seriously piss off someone with real influence nothing will be done. Your average fan, wrongly accused and judgement passed upon, will be ignored. A fan liaison is a nice idea, but in reality they too are either patronised, ignored, or assimilated into the powers-that-be's way of thinking eventually.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Exactly. Every time this topic comes up I mention that I've seen a lot of Newcastle games over the years as an away fan, usually when Newcastle are playing in London. Every time I've stood no problem - along with about 3000 other Newcastle fans. This is tolerated by the authorities. Consequently anyone who says 'standing isn't allowed' is wrong; it may be technically illegal but you ARE allowed to stand for a whole match in an all-seater stadium. All we're asking for is some consistency. As you say IF they tried to enforce the letter of the law then there could be problems, consequently they hope that by bullying a few people everybody else will fall into line.

Exactly. You watch any match of TV and you'll see vast areas of the ground with tolerated seating... in both home and away areas. In fact most grounds in the championship have large areas where standing is tolerated - for example we'll see this in the home ends on Saturday. Don't believe the club when they say they have to enforce all-seating in the North. They don't.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Part of the problem people have is that the club (or more likely a single employee of the club) act as "Judge, Jury and Executioner". People are banned for breaking rules without having any opportunity to put their side of the case or offer mitigation and that really is wrong; If someone has transgressed then the rule they have broken should be clearly defined (there's confusion here about which rows allow standing for example). Any punishment for breaking a rule should be proportionate, fair and transparent and should take in individuals circumstances. Anyone accused should have the opportunity to put their side of the incident, either in person or in writing to an independent person or body.
It's been anecdotally reported that the person ejected last night is a long standing Albion supporter and I've no reason to doubt this but he could be a long term pain in the arse with several previous transgressions or he could be a first time offender who just reacted badly when in the wrong time and wrong place; obviously it's none of our business which he is but it should be considered when deciding what, if any, punishment should be meted out.
Contrast what I have proposed with what happens if someone is arrested by the police; they will have the right to plead not guilty, to put their case and offer mitigation to a bench or jury that are completely independent of the police. If guilty their punishment will be proportionate and fair (although they might not think so). They will have right to appeal their sentence or punishment to a higher authority, also independent. The also have the right to complain about their treatment by the police to an independent complaints panel.
We're a big club now, in terms of support, and we need to start dealing with issues like this more professionally, and be seen to deal with it more professionally too. There's certainly a case for a supporters panel comprising a few people who can address issues from a supporters point of view, knowing that the club will take the issues seriously.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I asked a steward in the North why the first lot we're getting sent out and they said because they were standing. Fair enough I thought then she said in the most patronising voice, " Yeah, remember Hillsborough " . I just walked away after she said that. What a tool.

If people want to stand then you were told that the back 4 rows were the place to go. If you aren't sitting in them then, that's your own problem if you want to stand. I think the North would be a better place, atmosphere wise and certain people getting on with stewards if we were to introduce 'safe standing'. The only problem with that though I'd imagine would be elderly people who want to sit now and then who cannot stand the 90 minutes and them getting annoyed with people infront of them. I'm not sure where the club stand on this at the moment but be interesting to see what they think about the idea?

As for the steward who threw someone out for starting " Stand up if you hate P*lace ", quite frankly whoever that said steward is they need to sort it out.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Sorry to drag this up again but I spoke to my mate who was ejected last night. Apparently there were 3 people kicked out, the first guy who apparently started the stand up if you hate palace song, the other guy who was the one who got involved with the family guy steward and in between those two was my mate who literally got thrown out for nothing. He said he was standing there eating his double decker, saw the stewards approaching and moved out the way assuming they were going for someone else but they said to him we want a word with you downstairs. He was AMAZED as he had done nothing that hundreds of people around him hadn't done! He went with no questions, was filmed by the old bill and had all his details taken. There were no cheers from the crowd and it was all very low key. He asked if he was likely to be chucked out before leavin to which a steward said 'i cant promose anything' Did anyone see this happen? He said the bloke who got involved with family guy sits next to him and was a model supporter and had infact been chucked out last season for doing nothing wrong which is why he was so upset/angry about being picked on again!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is all going to end with an alcohol ban in the stadium, maybe just for a game to start with, but it will happen. The friction between the stewards and the fans is completely unneccessary, but only seems to be getting worse. Two people brought their half time pints back to their seats last night in the East, the first was approached by a female steward and asked to go back to the concourse to finish it off, he apologised and went back. The second was called to by a male steward and told he couldn't drink in sight of the pitch. He responded by turning around and taking another swig, which was amusing for everyone but the steward who then approached. It's a bit far from me, and I was distracted by other things, so I missed the resolution but it's even becoming an issue in the East.

Feb 14, 2010
You have to laugh at football clubs. Half of the club (the players and manager) want a red hot hostile passionate home support to help them win games whilst the other half of the club (the stewards and middle management) want the fns to sit down, shut up and politely applause. Which is it Albion? Make your mind up, do we listen to Poyet / the players or the stewards and the middle managers?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sit in WSU we have a very agreeable lady steward is commendably polite and helpful.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I thought the north were out sang a few times last night. The other stands are starting to find their voice and seem to have less problems with the stewards

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is all going to end with an alcohol ban in the stadium, maybe just for a game to start with, but it will happen. The friction between the stewards and the fans is completely unneccessary, but only seems to be getting worse. Two people brought their half time pints back to their seats last night in the East, the first was approached by a female steward and asked to go back to the concourse to finish it off, he apologised and went back. The second was called to by a male steward and told he couldn't drink in sight of the pitch. He responded by turning around and taking another swig, which was amusing for everyone but the steward who then approached. It's a bit far from me, and I was distracted by other things, so I missed the resolution but it's even becoming an issue in the East.

Well have to say i have had no problems whatsoever with the stewards in east upper who are an affable lot

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
What I can't understand is why the club / stewards feel the need to get confrontational in the ground whilst the game is being played. If they have an issue with individuals that is not an immediate safety risk why not write to them and explain there concerns about there behavior or issue a warning. They know who 90% of our fans are as we are season ticket holders and sit in the same seats every week. Give the fans involved a chance to meet with the security team to discuss the issue away from the passion of a live game, alcohol, and 26,000 people watching.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well have to say i have had no problems whatsoever with the stewards in east upper who are an affable lot

The stewards East Lower are very good too, maybe the more confident and self assured stewards decide to take on the north, hence the confrontation.

What I can't understand is why the club / stewards feel the need to get confrontational in the ground whilst the game is being played. If they have an issue with individuals that is not an immediate safety risk why not write to them and explain there concerns about there behavior or issue a warning. They know who 90% of our fans are as we are season ticket holders and sit in the same seats every week. Give the fans involved a chance to meet with the security team to discuss the issue away from the passion of a live game, alcohol, and 26,000 people watching.

I agree, tackling people during the game will always end in conflict which the fans don't want and which the club don't want either. Difficult problem to tackle though, because the club need to be seen to be combating persistent standing.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
See, this is my problem: I bought season tickets for me and my two sons (now 14 and 10) in the north stand on the back of the presentation we were given before the ground opened. I was actually intending to buy seats in the upper west, but was persuaded by the prospect of the singing, the banter, that a bit of colourful language would be tolerated. But I didn't want to go there so that I could stand up, so I avoided buying seats in the back four rows. However, sat in row R, I find that I'm having to stand for the majority of a match just so that I can see. Now, I don't have any problem with standing up, and would hate to think that we couldn't jump to our feet whenever Buckley gets the ball down the wing but I quite like to be able to sit down again once we'd squandered yet another chance. On the other hand, my 10 year old can't actually see if the people in front of him stand up without standing on his seat! But, what I certainly don't want is hassle from stewards, or the threat of being chucked out, just because I'm forced to stand in order to see the pitch. The club really need to get on top of this as I can only see the problem escalating over the next few matches. Whilst I'm all for doing what I'm told and not generally one from breaking rules, I refuse to attend a match and remain seated in spite of the people in front of me standing up and obscuring my view for the entire game. I might at well just listen to the match on the radio! Perhaps I was naive and shouldn't have bought tickets in the north stand in the first place, but I do enjoy the atmosphere, my boys even more so. What I don't enjoy is being filmed, eyeballed by stewards, and generally made to feel like I'm some sort of hooligan.

Jan 30, 2008
to describe someone in such derogatory and personal terms is disgraceful and no better than those who spout racist and homophobic hatred.

Perhaps such vitriol demonstrates the extreme limitations of these people to think or play their part in a civilised society. Think about what you've posted and consider whether it is acceptable? If not, make a public apology now. Alternatively, if you think it is ok, perhaps this football club is not for you and you are probably a closet palace fan!

Everyone knows that it was originally agreed that people standing in the rear four rows of the north stand would be tolerated but nowhere else. What is there not to understand about that. Continued non-compliance could jeopardise the safety certificate for the stadium and can be annoying for others. All-sweater stadia came about as a result of regular crushes and injuries and nothing couldn't have been worse than what happened to the 96 at hillsborough.

The steward will have worked to instructions and he does not need abuse from the very thick people who think it is ok to abuse anyone. Stewards are there for people's safety, your safety and do not need to be abused. If someone has hit a steward, they are not a football supporter, they are a neanderthal thug. Again, they have shown just how thick they are to assault someone where there are so many cctv cameras. It will be recorded and the evidence will be damning, i am pleased to say.

Don't make anyone out to be a martyr, they are simply a thug and a criminal and i look forward to them being dealt with by the club and the criminal courts. Such people are the true scum and not worthy to support our great club.
you sound interesting :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here