Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non attendance

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not denying there was trouble on that train back in the late eighties and early nineties. But those were the days when much of Brighton's "nightlife" came to an end when the pubs closed at 11.00pm. Things have changed. There's nothing specially troublesome about an 11.30-ish bus or train that can't be dealt with by routine policing.

I'm afraid you're wrong about the reinstatement. The new published timetable still shows the 2337 to Bedford as "FX" from Brighton, with the Friday (and Saturday) trains "starting" from Haywards Heath.

It's a disgrace that there is no train leaving Brighton for Haywards Heath, Croydon or London on a Friday or Saturday night after 2302. At least the 2334 to Lewes and Seaford still runs - even if the Railway thinks this is only necessary because it provides a connection at Lewes off the 2247 from Victoria and a last train from London at 2147 for Newhaven and Seaford passengers would be indefensible.

Routine policing on trains? your having a laugh fella. It's bad enough trying to get police assistance to a train when somebody has been assaulted without expecting the police to travel on known trouble trains. To be honest if the bus companies are happy to ferry the pissheads around at weekends then good luck to them because we can do without them on the railway.

In regards to the 23.37 ex brighton service I did say I was only LED to believe it had been reinstated allthough the national rail enquiries web site do advertise it for next friday and saturday. I'll see if I can get proper clarification on it at work this afternoon.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I joined NSC last month to make tentative steps towards getting back into the Albion fold. As a 'lapsed' fan I wanted to try and re-energise my support for the club as I had missed not going out to watch the Albion over the last 11 years. I wanted to learn from NSC posters how to get tickets, how to get to the ground etc. And the general feeling of what it's like to follow the Albion these days. If I am correct I have learnt the following

1. I have to try and book tickets either via the website, from the ticket office in Queens Road or try and do battle with the clubs ticket hotline if I've got the time or patience.
2. I can't drive to the withdean or I will either have my car towed away or at the very least attacked by Greenpeace for leaving too large a Carbon footprint. Or I can drive to Brighton, find somewhere to park if I get a mortgage to pay for it, then get a bus to the Withdean.
3. Assuming I have negotiated these hurdles I can then look forward to sitting in the wind and rain to watch the match as long as I don't
a) Stand up to watch the action
b) Sing in a non-singing stand
c) Look at a steward in a 'funny'way
d) Get caught smoking behind the bike sheds like a naughty boy.
4. I can then look forward to getting a bus back to Brighton, if it turns up, giving NCP my new motgage before driving back to Worthing.
5. And I believe that for the privilege of enduring all of the above and watching a third division side I will pay the princely sum of £22.

Now let me think, why didn't I go to the game? :glare:

I'm glad we live in modern times and not in the bad old days when I used to drive to Hove, park about no more than half a mile from the Goldstone. Go to a turnstyle of my choice and say "I'd like to come in and watch the Albion play please", "Certainly sir, give me £4 and you can come in and stand where you like"
Complicated wasn't it! None of this crap about 'singing stands', misfits in stewards jackets, or having to go through an exercise worthy of joining the Masons just to get a bloody ticket. :rant:
To sum up,
do I support the Albion?
Yes, but in mind not in body
Does this make me a bad fan?
Yes
Will I be attempting to go to the Withdean?
No f...ing way!
Will I go to matches at the new stadium?
Bloody right I will, probably as a STH
Doesn't this make me a glory hunter?
It's not exactly Chelsea is it? :laugh:
I seriously have a lot of respect for all of you who do go through all of the above crap, week in week out, I bow down to all you uber fans.
I'm too old to go through all that crap now, at my age I want to watch a game in relative comfort with a roof over my head and decent facilities.
That is all.

:bigwave:

Fair enough :)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Right come on folks , lets get those excuses in early as to why you could not attend tonights match.

We want some originals ones tonight. ...

I`m off now to support the mighty Seeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaagggguuuuullllsss.

I saved my money to watch Chelsea v Sunderland on Saturday and I must say it was a joy to sit in a stadium with a roof and an atmosphere. It was bloody hard work sitting in among the Chelsea fans and trying not to cheer Paul Mcshane every time he touched the ball though.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I saved my money to watch Chelsea v Sunderland on Saturday and I must say it was a joy to sit in a stadium with a roof and an atmosphere. It was bloody hard work sitting in among the Chelsea fans and trying not to cheer Paul Mcshane every time he touched the ball though.
I'm sure that other great Chelsea fan and the main cause of our ground problems, Mr Greg Stanley, did not know who McShane was.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Well I'm guessing you did.

:yawn:
I didn't.
Good luck to you if you don't want to watch the Albion play. I can quite understand the attractions of other activities. I realise people like me who rarely miss home games are basically deranged.
I just can't be bothered to read another I-hate-Withdean-but-I-will-go-to-Falmer post.
Watching football is an absurd activity and an addiction. It is certainly not an indication of superiority. People who don't go to Withdean will mostlikely not go to Falmer. Good luck to them.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Watching football is an absurd activity and an addiction. It is certainly not an indication of superiority. People who don't go to Withdean will mostlikely not go to Falmer. Good luck to them.

People want to watch football in a stadium that caters for football fans, withdean does'nt and never will offer that! Once Falmer is up and running fans will return.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
People want to watch football in a stadium that caters for football fans, withdean does'nt and never will offer that! Once Falmer is up and running fans will return.

Exactly :thumbsup:

It's a pity Mona was too bored to read my post, if he'd bothered he'd have seen that I do intend going to the new stadium.

:albion2:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
I see.
For some people, stadiums stopped catering for football fans once they went all-seater.
Falmer will have a roof and far better views behind the goal. Will this be enough to turn 5000 crowds into 12000+ crowds? I really hope so but am not convinced.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Exactly :thumbsup:

It's a pity Mona was too bored to read my post, if he'd bothered he'd have seen that I do intend going to the new stadium.

:albion2:

I've now read your post and sincerely hope you will support the club at the new stadium.
Unfortunately some of the criticisms of Withdean will also apply to Falmer. The new stadium is also a longer way from places unless you live in M'scombe or Coldean
My point was not meant to be personal as watching a club regularly is irrational and turning up on the day is sadly not as easy as it was anywhere in the top two divisions. It's just that the argument that all our missing support will immediately return once we leave Withdean is simplistic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I see.
For some people, stadiums stopped catering for football fans once they went all-seater.
Falmer will have a roof and far better views behind the goal. Will this be enough to turn 5000 crowds into 12000+ crowds? I really hope so but am not convinced.

For a lot of fans todays modern stadiums do cater for them! If you want to be one of those dinasaur fans stuck in the old terracing days then fair enough but today's football supporting has moved on from that.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
For a lot of fans todays modern stadiums do cater for them! If you want to be one of those dinasaur fans stuck in the old terracing days then fair enough but today's football supporting has moved on from that.
mmm I quite like sitting down. My response was mainly aimed at someone who questioned smoking bans and stewards enforcing sitting down. I admit to being a dinosaur but the anti-Withdean argument seems to envisage the new stadium as being perfection.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I know exactly what you're saying, but I just don't quite understand one thing. If you're a fan of the club, then surely you watch them wherever they're playing, whoever the opposition are, and however well they're doing WHENEVER POSSIBLE. I accept a lot of people have a lot of reasons for being unable to go, but how can anyone who claims to be a fan totally abandon their club for a number of years just because they don't really like the stadium?

I think you may have just earned your bobble hat.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
mmm I quite like sitting down. My response was mainly aimed at someone who questioned smoking bans and stewards enforcing sitting down. I admit to being a dinosaur but the anti-Withdean argument seems to envisage the new stadium as being perfection.

It opened my eyes taking little bulldog to see his beloved Chelsea yeaterday just what modern stadiums can be like and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. It's going to be very hard going back to tyhe Withdean now.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I never want a bobble hat, thanks. I'll donate it to someone else:D

The thing is, I stand by what I say. I appreciate Withdean is shocking, and people don't want to go there week in week out. But, how can you claim to be a fan of the club if you, literally, NEVER see the team play?

Do you really blame people for not spending they're hard earned cash on going into that shithole called Withdean? The whole f***ing place is geared up to keeping the local residents happy and it's got f*** all to do with entertaining football fans. At Stamford Bridge yesterday they had pre match entertainment geared up to entertaining football fans and creating an atmosphere, At Withdean we get a f***ing quiz and a few cd's out of the ark.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here