Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non attendance

I simply couldnt be bothered!

I WILL be at the fron of the que for the 4th round game (assuming we get there) and I WILL be moaning if someone is sitting in my seat!

What he said....except I'll be at the front of the queue:D

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Right come on folks , lets get those excuses in early as to why you could not attend tonights match.

We want some originals ones tonight. ...

I`m off now to support the mighty Seeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaagggguuuuullllsss.

I joined NSC last month to make tentative steps towards getting back into the Albion fold. As a 'lapsed' fan I wanted to try and re-energise my support for the club as I had missed not going out to watch the Albion over the last 11 years. I wanted to learn from NSC posters how to get tickets, how to get to the ground etc. And the general feeling of what it's like to follow the Albion these days. If I am correct I have learnt the following

1. I have to try and book tickets either via the website, from the ticket office in Queens Road or try and do battle with the clubs ticket hotline if I've got the time or patience.
2. I can't drive to the withdean or I will either have my car towed away or at the very least attacked by Greenpeace for leaving too large a Carbon footprint. Or I can drive to Brighton, find somewhere to park if I get a mortgage to pay for it, then get a bus to the Withdean.
3. Assuming I have negotiated these hurdles I can then look forward to sitting in the wind and rain to watch the match as long as I don't
a) Stand up to watch the action
b) Sing in a non-singing stand
c) Look at a steward in a 'funny'way
d) Get caught smoking behind the bike sheds like a naughty boy.
4. I can then look forward to getting a bus back to Brighton, if it turns up, giving NCP my new motgage before driving back to Worthing.
5. And I believe that for the privilege of enduring all of the above and watching a third division side I will pay the princely sum of £22.

Now let me think, why didn't I go to the game? :glare:

I'm glad we live in modern times and not in the bad old days when I used to drive to Hove, park about no more than half a mile from the Goldstone. Go to a turnstyle of my choice and say "I'd like to come in and watch the Albion play please", "Certainly sir, give me £4 and you can come in and stand where you like"
Complicated wasn't it! None of this crap about 'singing stands', misfits in stewards jackets, or having to go through an exercise worthy of joining the Masons just to get a bloody ticket. :rant:
To sum up,
do I support the Albion?
Yes, but in mind not in body
Does this make me a bad fan?
Yes
Will I be attempting to go to the Withdean?
No f...ing way!
Will I go to matches at the new stadium?
Bloody right I will, probably as a STH
Doesn't this make me a glory hunter?
It's not exactly Chelsea is it? :laugh:
I seriously have a lot of respect for all of you who do go through all of the above crap, week in week out, I bow down to all you uber fans.
I'm too old to go through all that crap now, at my age I want to watch a game in relative comfort with a roof over my head and decent facilities.
That is all.

:bigwave:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I joined NSC last month to make tentative steps towards getting back into the Albion fold. As a 'lapsed' fan I wanted to try and re-energise my support for the club as I had missed not going out to watch the Albion over the last 11 years. I wanted to learn from NSC posters how to get tickets, how to get to the ground etc. And the general feeling of what it's like to follow the Albion these days. If I am correct I have learnt the following

1. I have to try and book tickets either via the website, from the ticket office in Queens Road or try and do battle with the clubs ticket hotline if I've got the time or patience.
2. I can't drive to the withdean or I will either have my car towed away or at the very least attacked by Greenpeace for leaving too large a Carbon footprint. Or I can drive to Brighton, find somewhere to park if I get a mortgage to pay for it, then get a bus to the Withdean.
3. Assuming I have negotiated these hurdles I can then look forward to sitting in the wind and rain to watch the match as long as I don't
4. I can then look forward to getting a bus back to Brighton, if it turns up, giving NCP my new motgage before driving back to Worthing.
5. And I believe that for the privilege of enduring all of the above and watching a third division side I will pay the princely sum of £22.

I'm glad we live in modern times and not in the bad old days when I used to drive to Hove, park about no more than half a mile from the Goldstone. Go to a turnstyle of my choice and say "I'd like to come in and watch the Albion play please", "Certainly sir, give me £4 and you can come in and stand where you like"
Complicated wasn't it! None of this crap about 'singing stands', misfits in stewards jackets, or having to go through an exercise worthy of joining the Masons just to get a bloody ticket. :rant:
To sum up,
do I support the Albion?
Yes
No f...ing way!
I seriously have a lot of respect for all of you who do go through all of the above crap, week in week out, I bow down to all you uber fans.
I'm too old to go through all that crap now, at my age I want to watch a game in relative comfort with a roof over my head and decent facilities.
That is all.

About a hundred good points, all well made :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
About a hundred good points, all well made :clap:

Except that 2 and 4 are actually not true. Preston Drove is outside the exclusion zone and only 15 mins walk from Withdean.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Some good points. Well made too.

But it's not tremendously difficult to drive to Mill Road from Worthing and use the Park & Ride buses which, unlike the mythical services back into Brighton, operate directly and frequently. Or, for that matter, catch a train from Worthing to Brighton. They've been running along that route since 1847 or thereabouts. And you can use your travel voucher on 'em.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Very well Thanks, feel good in myself and things are heading in the right direction. Started Hydrotherapy and 3 month check was better than expected so fingers crossed for the next 3 months. I am getting copies of my X-rays, £20 but worth it!

Really good to hear you are making progress after what sounded like some horrific injuries. I'm sure alot of it is all about maintaining a positive outlook, and it sounds as if you are right on top of that one.

Good luck to you - you'll get there :thumbsup:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

To sum up,
do I support the Albion?
Yes
No f...ing way!
That is all.

Do you expect anybody to waste precious time reading that?
Yawn

Too many pissheads causing too much trouble too often.
Rubbish!

It was withdrawn - almost FIFTEEN YEARS AGO - because British Transport Police couldn't be arsed to deal with the problems that existed on Friday and Saturday nights then.

Despite a plea by the then Chair of the Sussex Police Authority to rethink the decision, because it was a disgrace to policing.

Public transport now runs safely in Brighton all night. The pissheads haven't succeeded in stopping that. Why should they be used as an excuse by the railways?

Incidentally ... the train still runs. It just doesn't run in service from Brighton.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Rubbish!

It was withdrawn - almost FIFTEEN YEARS AGO - because British Transport Police couldn't be arsed to deal with the problems that existed on Friday and Saturday nights then.

Despite a plea by the then Chair of the Sussex Police Authority to rethink the decision, because it was a disgrace to policing.

Public transport now runs safely in Brighton all night. The pissheads haven't succeeded in stopping that. Why should they be used as an excuse by the railways?

Incidentally ... the train still runs. It just doesn't run in service from Brighton.

Now a FCC train so they can do what they want

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Rubbish!

Dismiss it as rubbish if you like LB, but I work with a lot of people who along with the BTP were glad to see the back of that train as a passenger service on fri/sat nights because of the constant trouble at the time.

Incidentally ... I'm led to believe the train has been reinstated as of next weekend.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

To sum up,
do I support the Albion?
Yes
No f...ing way!
That is all.

You only needed one excuse. Dont take the piss.

Dismiss it as rubbish if you like LB, but I work with a lot of people who along with the BTP were glad to see the back of that train as a passenger service on fri/sat nights because of the constant trouble at the time.

Incidentally ... I'm led to believe the train has been reinstated as of next weekend.

I'm not denying there was trouble on that train back in the late eighties and early nineties. But those were the days when much of Brighton's "nightlife" came to an end when the pubs closed at 11.00pm. Things have changed. There's nothing specially troublesome about an 11.30-ish bus or train that can't be dealt with by routine policing.

I'm afraid you're wrong about the reinstatement. The new published timetable still shows the 2337 to Bedford as "FX" from Brighton, with the Friday (and Saturday) trains "starting" from Haywards Heath.

It's a disgrace that there is no train leaving Brighton for Haywards Heath, Croydon or London on a Friday or Saturday night after 2302. At least the 2334 to Lewes and Seaford still runs - even if the Railway thinks this is only necessary because it provides a connection at Lewes off the 2247 from Victoria and a last train from London at 2147 for Newhaven and Seaford passengers would be indefensible.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perhaps LB would like to do the night shift at Brighton Ticket Office that I used to have to endure and deal with all these morons and the abuse you got - great fun.

BTW the best one was when the BTP checked tickets once on the 01:15 Coastway West train and made everyone get off at Hove as they had a Hove ticket.

I remember stories like that, BH.

Sussex Police REALLY appreciated hordes of people rampaging the streets of Hove, with no means of getting home in the middle of the night.

That's the problem with the Railways - they think they can function in isolation from the rest of the world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I remember stories like that, BH.

Sussex Police REALLY appreciated hordes of people rampaging the streets of Hove, with no means of getting home in the middle of the night.

That's the problem with the Railways - they think they can function in isolation from the rest of the world.

And the other issue is if people can't be bothered to pay the right fare and buy the right ticket they lose money - which is fairer then ?

That's a problem on every train that runs, not an argument for not running one train on a Friday and Saturday night.

The buses manage to run a 24 hour service in Brighton, seven nights a week - with staff who are far more "isolated" than railway personnel.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's a problem on every train that runs, not an argument for not running one train on a Friday and Saturday night.

The buses manage to run a 24 hour service in Brighton, seven nights a week - with staff who are far more "isolated" than railway personnel.

Hardly what is the difference between driving a bus and being a train guard ?

Both jobs you are on your own and I suspect you would get a much quick Police attendance to a bus than a train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here