Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nirvana - Nevermind 20 Years Ago

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My oh my does time fly, cannot believe this album is 20 years old now.

Always had a lot of time for Nirvana thought they were an excellent band.

I liked them ahead of Nevermind, but think they got over-rated after Teen Spirit's success.
The album had 4 good tunes on it max, and the following materiel was shite.

QOTSA are at least as good, and back in the day The Screaming Trees and Mother Love Bone or Mudhoney would have given Nirvana a run for best NW bands.

Here's QOTSA with Dave Grohl, while we're on the subject;

[yt]vBm6AzA8lZQ[/yt]

Last edited:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I liked them ahead of Nevermind, but think they got over-rated after Teen Spirit's success.
QOTSA are at least as good, and back in the day The Screaming Trees and Mother Love Bone or Mudhoney would have given Nirvana a run for best NW bands.

Disagree completely. In Utero remains their best album.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To be fair Nevermind was a very slow burner and took quite a while to get going.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

Here's QOTSA with Dave Grohl, while we're on the subject;

[yt]vBm6AzA8lZQ[/yt]

Yeah I 100% disagree aswell, no way over rated IMO but each to their own mate, especially where musics concerned coz if we all liked the same stuff we'd be limited a couple of genres at most

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The impact of Nevermind is bigger than the songs on it. It did similar to Never Mind The Bollocks 15 or so years before and acted as a reset button for guitar based music which at the time had become somewhat overindulgent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The impact of Nevermind is bigger than the songs on it. It did similar to Never Mind The Bollocks 15 or so years before and acted as a reset button for guitar based music which at the time had become somewhat overindulgent.

This. I never liked grunge. But I find it hard to disagree with the idea that Nevermind was anything other than a game changing heavily influential album which arrived at exactly the right time. It is a classic album, a masterpiece. No question about it.

As I mentioned, I never liked Nirvana, their sound just didn't do it for me. But many many years later I did purchase their unplugged album. This enabled me to appreciate their song writing talent. I cannot tell you why, but for me their songs work better in this format.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Brilliant, brilliant album.

Does anyone remember their first TV appearance on The Word? - seems like yesterday. Just stunning. I went out and bought the album shortly afterwards. I think it has stood the test of time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I hate to piss on anyones fireworks but all releases back in 91 were on Mondays.
25th September 1991 was a Wednesday. Nevermind and Screamadelica were released on the 23rd.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
91 was a great year for albums. Loveless came out in the November.

And that's pretty much the last Shields managed to press 'go'.

Still, only another 14 years to go till he's happy with the remastering. Maybe.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
And that's pretty much the last Shields managed to press 'go'.

Still, only another 14 years to go till he's happy with the remastering. Maybe.

Oddly enough the remaster was listed as being released on Amazon this week. Didn't happen, obviously.

I heard they were waiting for him to do the sleeve notes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here