Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nirvana - Nevermind 20 Years Ago

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ooo what's it like? Although going by your U2 liking maybe I shouldn't ask . . .

It doesn't stray too far from the feel and sound of Psychic Chasms i.e lo-fi, sometimes muddy, over-layered synth pop, although it sounds bit more coherent as an album. The coherence manifests mainly via three instrumentals. Stand out tracks are Polish Girl and Halogen and there's some nice plinky plonky stuff (I think they call it 8-bit). First impressions are good, and if you like the first you'll like this. Does this make any sense? I dont think I'll ever make it as a music journalist.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I really need to do Pantha Du Prince justice with a proper listen rather than background music. I shall, I promise!

Of course it is. There's a global recession on and people need escapism through art. Who wants gritty realism in their dance music? Anyway, Voigt's the man who has re-defined Franz Kafka as a minimal techno icon and he co-founded Kompakt.

Wolfgang Voigt. He's alroight.

Gah! Yes you do!
Hehe

It doesn't stray too far from the feel and sound of Psychic Chasms i.e lo-fi, sometimes muddy, over-layered synth pop, although it sounds bit more coherent as an album. The coherence manifests mainly via three instrumentals. Stand out tracks are Polish Girl and Halogen and there's some nice plinky plonky stuff (I think they call it 8-bit). First impressions are good, and if you like the first you'll like this. Does this make any sense? I dont think I'll ever make it as a music journalist.

It read ok to me! Cheers.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Bllody hell that was a good year. Blue Lines is probably my stand out one.

I remember going to buy Nevermind with a friend the day it came out but Ourprice only had one copy. That was standard for your average indie band. That all changed after a few weeks though.

I also went to Reading that summer, Nirvana played middle of the bill, during the day. They were playing all the songs from Nevermind and got a flat crowd on a drizzly afternoon really going. Was a great performance. Of 'that lot' though I think I prefer Mudhoney.

brilliantly I can relive my experience on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLsaa4grC8

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not alone. It's all a question of musical tastes but at that time the American indie stuff I listened to was 10,000 Maniacs, Pixies, Sonic Youth, REM and Henry Rollins.

Ha! Just looked at all those bands and realised they are all West Coast bands. Perhaps there's something in that, that I need to investigate!

Mmm, no.

Pixies were from Boston.

REM were from Athens, Georgia.

Sonic Youth were from New York.

10,000 Maniacs began in New York, though also spent time forming in Atlanta, Georgia.

So not a lot of West Coast scene really!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ooo what's it like? Although going by your U2 liking maybe I shouldn't ask . . .

It's really grown on me in the past two days. It certainly builds upon the last album, and has some really nice songs on it. Although due to the sound it feels more appropriate to say 'some really nice songs in it.' They sound like they're under a layer of sonic something or other.

Buy.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I went to college between 2001 and 2003 and this album was still a part of almost every 16-18 year olds' staple diet.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I remember I bunked off lesson the day it came out and bought nevermind and screamadelica on cassette from our price. In actual fact at the time I prefered screamadelica and had to replace the casette with a CD a few months later after it was chewed up by my walkman.

I was always a Pearl Jam fan more than Nirvana and felt Ten was a far better album to Nevermind.

Billy Whizzkid

Aug 24, 2011
Anyone on here go to Portsmouth (sorry) Polytechnic in the early nineties? I saw Nirvana there in 1990. They were the SUPPORT band for Ned's Atomic Dustbin. Unbelievable!!!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Must be about this time we last played at home at 3pm on a Saturday.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Mmm, no.

Pixies were from Boston.

REM were from Athens, Georgia.

Sonic Youth were from New York.

10,000 Maniacs began in New York, though also spent time forming in Atlanta, Georgia.

So not a lot of West Coast scene really!

I meant East Coast... it was late on Sunday...I was eating toast...I don't multi-task very well.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
always thought alice in chains were better, but wow 20 years....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here