Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nirvana - Nevermind 20 Years Ago

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but the best album of 1991 IMHO was Achtung Baby.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The_Orb_-_Adventures_Beyond_the_Ultraworld.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
as an aside I have just purchased the new Neon Indian long player from the lovely Rounder people.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'd love to have been in the room when they penned this:

"Frank, we've got a new riff sorted out for the new song, how are the lyrics coming along?"
"Lyrics? Nah, I think I'll just breath heavily into the microphone and scream every now and then."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ooo what's it like? Although going by your U2 liking maybe I shouldn't ask . . .

I have yet to play it. I only bought it this afternoon. The Rounder chappy said it's very good though. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and report back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you seen some of the other albums released that year? 1991 in music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Lines, KLF's White Room, Babes in Toyland...it was a great year. Even Simply Red's album Stars was IMO a very good album. Their best by a million miles.

Schubert Dip, I have to own up to making that purchase. Was it really 20 years ago. I also had a girlfriend who owned an Ugly Kid Joe record. Bet no one else can claim this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haha! I've got my eye on the new Gui Boratto, Zola Jesus and Death in Vegas albums. Will pop to Rough Trade after work tomorrow.

Good call on the Gui Boratto. I have read a review and it sounds right up my street, maybe strasse is more appropriate.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Schubert Dip, I have to own up to making that purchase. Was it really 20 years ago. I also had a girlfriend who owned an Ugly Kid Joe record. Bet no one else can claim this?

I had that Schubert Dip album - well, taped from a mate if that counts. I also had the Farm's Spartacus - 2 or 3 decent tunes but that cover of Don't You Want Me is possibly the worst cover I've ever heard.

Didn't Ugly Kid Joe have a tune with something like "I hate everything about you"? The album that stands out of that list as the worst musical crime is Spin Doctor's Pocketful of Kryptonite. Bought entirely on the back of Two Princes and the album was just crap from start to finish. I think we've discussed this before.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good call on the Gui Boratto. I have read a review and it sounds right up my street, maybe strasse is more appropriate.

His 2nd album is a big fave in my household and the 3rd has got rave reviews. The other dance release that I'm eager to get is the Endlich EP from Wolfgang Voigt, also on Kompakt. Just read the blurb for it:

ENDLICH („Finally“)A gentle, pressing ambient-beat sets off for town. Unfamiliar voices try to lure him into the dark. UNENDLICH („Infinte“) contains highly sensitive messages from Wolfgang Voigt’s minimal knowledge that can only be revealed at full volume under the headphones. 11 minutes all or nothing in seeming inmobility. Black noise. Black hole. Explanations are provided in a video with subtitles. Titled: Wolfgang Voigt – Endlich Unendlich („Finally Infinte“)

This is what I want from my German dance music. Utter mental genius.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
His 2nd album is a big fave in my household and the 3rd has got rave reviews. The other dance release that I'm eager to get is the Endlich EP from Wolfgang Voigt, also on Kompakt. Just read the blurb for it:

ENDLICH („Finally“)A gentle, pressing ambient-beat sets off for town. Unfamiliar voices try to lure him into the dark. UNENDLICH („Infinte“) contains highly sensitive messages from Wolfgang Voigt’s minimal knowledge that can only be revealed at full volume under the headphones. 11 minutes all or nothing in seeming inmobility. Black noise. Black hole. Explanations are provided in a video with subtitles. Titled: Wolfgang Voigt – Endlich Unendlich („Finally Infinte“)

This is what I want from my German dance music. Utter mental genius.

Sounds interesting. I like the Robag Whrume album, it took me a while, but it's still not the heights of Pantha Du Prince.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Pretentious? Moi? :lol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sounds interesting. I like the Robag Whrume album, it took me a while, but it's still not the heights of Pantha Du Prince.

I really need to do Pantha Du Prince justice with a proper listen rather than background music. I shall, I promise!

Pretentious? Moi? :lol:

Of course it is. There's a global recession on and people need escapism through art. Who wants gritty realism in their dance music? Anyway, Voigt's the man who has re-defined Franz Kafka as a minimal techno icon and he co-founded Kompakt.

Wolfgang Voigt. He's alroight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here