Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nirvana - Nevermind 20 Years Ago

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hate to piss on anyones fireworks but all releases back in 91 were on Mondays.
25th September 1991 was a Wednesday. Nevermind and Screamadelica were released on the 23rd.

Monday in the UK.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
For me, this was the greatest album of 1991

sCH0UPKFDd3s_m.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hate to piss on anyones fireworks but all releases back in 91 were on Mondays.
25th September 1991 was a Wednesday. Nevermind and Screamadelica were released on the 23rd.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is the fifth studio album by American rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers, released on September 24, 1991.

Nevermind is the second studio album by the US rock band Nirvana, released on September 24, 1991.

Screamadelica is a studio album by the British alternative rock group Primal Scream and was their first to be a commercial success. It was released on 23 September 1991 in the UK by Creation Records,[1] and 8 October 1991 in North America by Sire Records.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
ok got into them late (I was 5 when this came out) but what a band , got most the other albums , just brilliant.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The other standout album of that year for me was Talk Talk's Laughing Stock. IMO, Mark Hollis at his bloody-mindedness best. Trompe La Monde was probably my 3rd but sadly I never realised Nirvana's influence until In Utero. I loved Pearl Jam and Soundgarden though found Grunge a bit too earnest for me at times.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of my favourite albums of all time that, along with Spirit of Eden.

Agreed. It's been cited as the first post-rock albums and I always hark on it to anyone who will listen. It's a masterpiece in minimalist rock. Wasn't there some sort of contractual dispute and that's why there was such a gap between Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Live fast, die young, make a good looking teeshirt - as they always say. Gawd bless NME covers.

Doubtless off-message, but I'd suggest that Nirvana were not THAT much more than the sum parts of Smells Like Teen Spirit and Kurt Cobain blowing his head off. Take either of these two events away and you are left with a much-diminished legend. Take both away and there's not a lot left by way of a legacy. IMHO, like.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Blood Sugar Sex Magik is the fifth studio album by American rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers, released on September 24, 1991.

Nevermind is the second studio album by the US rock band Nirvana, released on September 24, 1991.

Screamadelica is a studio album by the British alternative rock group Primal Scream and was their first to be a commercial success. It was released on 23 September 1991 in the UK by Creation Records,[1] and 8 October 1991 in North America by Sire Records.

Not sure what or why you're arguing!

Why celebrate a US release date?

CD
(Europe) Monday 23rd September 1991 – on Geffen Records [424 425-2]

As for RHCP, I cant find the text but it would have been the 23rd. I worked in a record shop at the time and all releases were on Monday. If someone is american here then fair enough but I reckon 99% of us are european.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do I stand alone in saying Pixies > Nirvana? And not marginally, either.

Not alone. It's all a question of musical tastes but at that time the American indie stuff I listened to was 10,000 Maniacs, Pixies, Sonic Youth, REM and Henry Rollins.

Ha! Just looked at all those bands and realised they are all West Coast bands. Perhaps there's something in that, that I need to investigate!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure what or why you're arguing!

Why celebrate a US release date?

CD
(Europe) Monday 23rd September 1991 – on Geffen Records [424 425-2]

As for RHCP, I cant find the text but it would have been the 23rd. I worked in a record shop at the time and all releases were on Monday. If someone is american here then fair enough but I reckon 99% of us are european.

Arguing? Where did that come from?

I'm pretty certain all three albums were released on the same day in the UK. This is all.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Not alone. It's all a question of musical tastes but at that time the American indie stuff I listened to was 10,000 Maniacs, Pixies, Sonic Youth, REM and Henry Rollins.!

Very weird to think that Sonic Youth are still going strong, with them all in their 50's. Kim would still get it. The last album of theirs I bought was Rather Ripped, which was actually very good.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was actually big on Pearl Jam around that era

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here