Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I have always been a bit meh re the Greens. However my wife recently had a real hassle getting her NHS pension. It got to the point where we thought let's write to our MP. I wasn't convinced it would achieve anything but Caroline Lucas was brilliant and we sorted the issue, with her help (it felt like she gave it a lot of her attention). I know she is standing down but I will voting for them this time around as I like the idea of an MP serving their constituants. As opposed to certain people saying "I wouldn't want to spend every Friday in Clacton for the next 5 years" before they changed their minds - allegedly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
They held a mock election at my daughter's school:
Labour 145 votes
Green 122
Reform 94
Libs 54
Con 41
Plaid Cymru 21
Monster Raving 12
Abolish the Welsh Assembly 8

The youth are really latching on to Reform, I'm sure it's through TikToc, I find it quite an eye opener as to how much influence social media has on the minds of youngsters.
That's shocking.

21 kids thought Plaid worthy of a vote

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
My 13 year old son came up to me the other day asking why this bloke 'Farage' and his party reform keep popping up on his tic toc feed. He asked me if it was true that rapists are not being sent to prison because the prisons are full with immigrants which was one of the things he had seen on there.

I suspect there is a targeted effort to influence kids through social media platforms like tic toc as part of a wider long term strategy to shift the views of the population in this country to the right.
I've been of the opinion that this the Reform plan. Target the next cohort of voters who will be of voting age at the next GE.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And guess what Reform's flagship tax policy actually means

reform.jpg

Well who would have thunk it ? Certainly not the majority of Reform voters who think he represents them "'cause he's a man of the people" :dunce:

Reform UK's tax plans disproportionately benefit high earners​

When challenged, Mr Farage maintained that people on lower incomes would benefit more than those on higher incomes when the tax cuts were viewed as a proportion of their total salary. However, that is not the case.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...1&cvid=3a3893ca29b64753a7709ea971929289&ei=33

Last edited:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I am so angry about what Farage said. He doesn't understand anything. The reason Ukraine was invaded is because they didn't have the protection of NATO/EU.
And there is nothing to admire about Putin, he's a monster who only cares about himself not even his own people. That's why he thinks nothing of sending more and more people into the mincer.
Farage is just a populist creating division in the UK.

Why are you angry?

Take a look at what the US Ambassador to the Soviet Union when the Berlin Wall came down has written recently on the Ukraine crisis.

The meddling involvement of the EU in Ukraine and Russia has been going on for years, it’s not been a part of the solution.

As you can see from the comments on this BBC article in 2015 there are plenty of British people that could see the way ahead for Ukraine, and they understood how Russia would react to the west continuing to provoke Russia with expansionism.

Here we are 9 years on and the matter is essentially a political closed shop, Labour and the Tories aligned with continuing military and financial support for Ukraine in a war it cannot win.

It’s a unpalatable truth for some but a long lasting peaceful settlement is only likely if Ukraine gives up its territory occupied by its pro Russian population and the West denies Ukraine’s membership to NATO.

I don’t know if that is Farage’s view, if it is I would wager it would be more popular with British electorate than the current policies of Labour and Tory to deepen the crisis.

For that you should be angry.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder if this'll make certain parties think hard about their policy of reducing the voting age to 16?
I’m hoping that certain parties will follow Farage’s methods of reaching out to youngsters on social media to dilute his effect, for a certain demographic it’s how they get their information.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m hoping that certain parties will follow Farage’s methods of reaching out to youngsters on social media to dilute his effect, for a certain demographic it’s how they get their information.
Yes, but not by telling lies. I hope.

It would be better if this platform were properly regulated. How can you claim rapists are not being sent to jail because the jails are all full of immigrants?

Meanwhile on mainstream media, the first news item on the 9.30 news on R5 this morning was that Farage is blaming the EU for the war in Ukraine and claims that Putin has justifiably responded to provocation. Not sure this is likely to win him a huge number of votes, especially among the younger generation he's grooming.

But what do I know. It isn't me that's the hugely successful politician with a string of victories under his belt..

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
That's appalling.

Nothing to do with the criminal justice system being chronically underfunded by the (party of law and order) Conservatives...

I have to admit, I know nothing about TikTok - is there any equivalent to the Twitter community notes so posts can be rebutted with facts?
I don’t know enough about Tik Tok and how it works except that it’s Chinese owned, which is why in the US they are proposing to Ban it if they don’t diversify the ownership. Presumably worried about this sort of thing and the influence it could have.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My cousin’s daughter did in America. In her 40s of liver cancer.

Aaron Banks is the health insurance mogul.

edit. I now realise you meant the health charges on Guernsey. The snswer is I don’t know, but the Channel Islands don’t not use the NHS.
Tories have been in power for 14 years, if they wanted to move to a USA model they could have.

No one except a handful of people is pushing for the USA model.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
It’s a culture war two completely different outlooks. Social media promotes the extremes of both sides. The problem is there is no understanding for the other side it’s a black and white for both sides. Nothing will change about that, it’s only going to get worse. English politics is going to look very similar to the democrat v republican war. Reform if they don’t implode will grow, then implode like UKIP did.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Why are you angry?

Take a look at what the US Ambassador to the Soviet Union when the Berlin Wall came down has written recently on the Ukraine crisis.

The meddling involvement of the EU in Ukraine and Russia has been going on for years, it’s not been a part of the solution.

As you can see from the comments on this BBC article in 2015 there are plenty of British people that could see the way ahead for Ukraine, and they understood how Russia would react to the west continuing to provoke Russia with expansionism.

Here we are 9 years on and the matter is essentially a political closed shop, Labour and the Tories aligned with continuing military and financial support for Ukraine in a war it cannot win.

It’s a unpalatable truth for some but a long lasting peaceful settlement is only likely if Ukraine gives up its territory occupied by its pro Russian population and the West denies Ukraine’s membership to NATO.

I don’t know if that is Farage’s view, if it is I would wager it would be more popular with British electorate than the current policies of Labour and Tory to deepen the crisis.

Traitor

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s an unpalatable truth for some but a long lasting peaceful settlement is only likely if Ukraine gives up its territory occupied by its pro Russian population and the West denies Ukraine’s membership to NATO.
You never EVER appease a dictator. This is profoundly and deeply embedded in to the British psyche thanks to Neville Chamberlain and the rise of Hitler.

If you trust and respect Putin to keep the peace if he is appeased by being given Ukrainian territory, you have the wretched judgement of Nigel Farage. The lowest of the low.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If I was 15 years old at the moment and was flooded with stories that everything is wrong because of immigrants and that I would never own a home and would never be happy it would appeal.

Farage isn’t “just that harmless bloke in the golf clubhouse”, something I’ve been told before by non-UKIP voters.

My 13 year old son came up to me the other day asking why this bloke 'Farage' and his party reform keep popping up on his tic toc feed. He asked me if it was true that rapists are not being sent to prison because the prisons are full with immigrants which was one of the things he had seen on there.

I suspect there is a targeted effort to influence kids through social media platforms like tic toc as part of a wider long term strategy to shift the views of the population in this country to the right.
This is the more insidious aspect of what is going on. My main concern is not necessarily Reform in this election, but that a generation are being indoctrinated into hate and mistrust of others which really doesn't bode well for 20-30 years down the line.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Why are you angry?

How about if Russia invaded your house? Killed you, raped your wife, abducted your children? Would you still be of the opinion that the only chance of a long lasting peaceful settlement would be to let them keep the house?

Membership of NATO and EU isn't like some compulsory creeping paralysis.
Nations have to apply to join them. Membership of both organisations is up to the country applying for membership.

It is up to Ukraine whether it joins them.
Just as importantly, Russia doesn't have a veto on Ukraine's membership of either organisation.

Just because Russia demands a veto, and wages war on a peaceful sovereign nation that doesn't agree, it does not mean that Russia's course of action is the correct one.
The fault lies with Russia's view of the world. Not everyone else's.

Your judgement is way, way off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How about if Russia invaded your house? Killed you, raped your wife, abducted your children? Would you still be of the opinion that the only chance of a long lasting peaceful settlement would be to let them keep the house?

Membership of NATO and EU isn't like some compulsory creeping paralysis.
Nations have to apply to join them. Membership of both organisations is up to the country applying for membership.

It is up to Ukraine whether it joins them.
Just as importantly, Russia doesn't have a veto on Ukraine's membership of either organisation.

Just because Russia demands a veto, and wages war on a peaceful sovereign nation that doesn't agree, it does not mean that Russia's course of action is the correct one.
The fault lies with Russia's view of the world. Not everyone else's.

Your judgement is way, way off.
This.

It will come as no surprise that I have the person to whom you replied on ignore.

Life is too short to have to wade through a load of old bollocks every day.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I have always been a bit meh re the Greens. However my wife recently had a real hassle getting her NHS pension. It got to the point where we thought let's write to our MP. I wasn't convinced it would achieve anything but Caroline Lucas was brilliant and we sorted the issue, with her help (it felt like she gave it a lot of her attention). I know she is standing down but I will voting for them this time around as I like the idea of an MP serving their constituants. As opposed to certain people saying "I wouldn't want to spend every Friday in Clacton for the next 5 years" before they changed their minds - allegedly.
She's absolutely the exception.
Not indicative of the chaotic & often bizarre party she happens to be in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here