Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don’t think anyone is “asking for it”.

I just like to keep a bit of perspective.

And whilst I take your point about copycatting, from a legal standpoint we can’t judge this individual on what others might go on to do.

As I say, perspective.
Just to be clear because there seems to be some misconceptions about my approach to this.

I have not laughed, I said it wasn’t funny, I said it was a criminal offence and absolutely did not say he deserved it.

However, this is a Nigel Farage thread - his politics are significant - people should maybe read some of the earlier comments on this thread before assuming anyone that highlights them now are doing so because they think Farage deserved a face full of milkshake.

What I dont understand is why people think this is going to start a whole string of Copycats.

Nigel Farage had milkshake thrown in his face at a Brexit rally in Glasgow in 2022.

Did that one start a load of copy cats in Tik Tok? I think not but it has been a traditional way of protesting against fascism -across Europe and in the UK - does that make it legal, no - it is entirely possible to recognise that and say it without condoning it - I just don’t know why some folk on here find that so hard to understand without getting all moralising.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Do you believe that nett migration of +800,000 a year is sustainable - and as a Green Party supporter (if you are) where would you house everyone?

I don't understand how huge population increases (that's a city the size of Leeds every year) and preservation of the countryside is compatible.
We have birth rate of 1.56 we need 2.1 to avoid de-population. We are going to need some net migration, the current level is a bit high.

It doesn't help the fact our FOM has been curtailed, harder to escape

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Do you believe it because "fairly reliable sources" quoting "alleged" connections can be trusted? Or do you believe it because you don't like Farage and would believe anything even if the source was a pink elephant on LSD?
Does that pink elephant have any connections in the field of football managers? (asking for a friend).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Just to be clear because there seems to be some misconceptions about my approach to this.

I have not laughed, I said it wasn’t funny, I said it was a criminal offence and absolutely did not say he deserved it.

However, this is a Nigel Farage thread - his politics are significant - people should maybe read some of the earlier comments on this thread before assuming anyone that highlights them now are doing so because they think Farage deserved a face full of milkshake.

What I dont understand is why people think this is going to start a whole string of Copycats.

Nigel Farage had milkshake thrown in his face at a Brexit rally in Glasgow in 2022.

Did that one start a load of copy cats in Tik Tok? I think not but it has been a traditional way of protesting against fascism -across Europe and in the UK - does that make it legal, no - it is entirely possible to recognise that and say it without condoning it - I just don’t know why some folk on here find that so hard to understand without getting all moralising.
Question for you, yes it was only a milkshake, and ignoring the escalation paths. Would you have still said "Quite" it was only a milkshake if it was done to Starmer?, or Diane Abbot or Lammy or Rayner etc. I think the fact it was Farage who of course has such polar opinions about him doesn't mean he is fair game. In order to have a democratic society you have to allow people who don't share your views to speak without physical recourse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question for you, yes it was only a milkshake, and ignoring the escalation paths. Would you have still said "Quite" it was only a milkshake if it was done to Starmer?, or Diane Abbot or Lammy or Rayner etc. I think the fact it was Farage who of course has such polar opinions about him doesn't mean he is fair game. In order to have a democratic society you have to allow people who don't share your views to speak without physical recourse.

Life is such that if you go around using inflammatory and divisive language it eventually catches up with you one way or another. I can therefore understand why Farage was “shaked” and would be disappointed if it was Starmer etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From an environmental perspective depopulation is a good thing. There are too many people in this world.
To many of the wrong sort....although when I ponder what constitutes the wrong sort I always start thinking about the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
Life is such that if you go around using inflammatory and divisive language it eventually catches up with you one way or another. I can therefore understand why Farage was “shaked” and would be disappointed if it was Starmer etc.
That's double standards though surely ?. I personally find Rayners comments about wanting to get rid of the nuclear deterrent very divisive but it's not up to me to decide what is and isn't inflammatory so wouldn't ever consider such actions, that's the point of politics isn't it ?.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Surely the part of the point of remaining in the EU was because we didn't want to lose the cheap labour? One of the reasons people in the less affluent north liked the idea of leaving the EU, is because people on low wages don't particularly like the idea of keeping those wages low. If we import fewer immigrants to do the less well paid jobs, those jobs may become better paid.
So racism and personal greed then eh !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's double standards though surely ?. I personally find Rayners comments about wanting to get rid of the nuclear deterrent very divisive but it's not up to me to decide what is and isn't inflammatory so wouldn't ever consider such actions, that's the point of politics isn't it ?.
Whilst you might differ with Rayner she conducts herself in a polite manner. Farage is a gobshite and a shit stirrer. Huge difference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didn't she say Tory Scum ?, that's not very polite. I don't think we will ever agree but nice to debate without having to resort to catcalling.
Or luzzing milkshake! :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didn't she say Tory Scum ?, that's not very polite. I don't think we will ever agree but nice to debate without having to resort to catcalling.
I think she did. I do think there’s a world of difference with Farage and his thinly veiled racism though. There’s Tory MPs I disagree with and some I loath but only a few I’d chuckle at if they got a banana milkshake poured over them. JRM is a prime example as he’s so smug. Boris for sure.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Bit of a silly thing to say - trying to suggest my measured and proportionate response to this is politically motivated 😂

My reaction would be exactly the same, of course it would - havent you understood anything I’ve said? - if it were Starmer ( I don’t like him much btw or Dianne Abbot) or anyone frankly. It’s not funny, it’s infantile and a criminal offence which could get you up to a maximum of 6 mnths imprisonment - all of which I’ve said several times over.

However, a girl throwing a milkshake at a politician it also is NOT the start of a slippery slope of copycat milkshake throwing that will lead to mass insurrection as some folk are suggesting nor is it the beginning of the breakdown of democracy. For that you need to look at the neo-fascist ideology that Farage is linked to and his association with Bannon, Trump, Orban and the rest of his far right chums.

As for copycat actions that could lead to murder that’s ridiculous sorry but it is.

There’s really no hope for any of us if people think it’s such an easy progression from throwing a drink over someone to picking up a weapon and ending their life. Geez 😱

The OTT moralising and outrage on this minor issue in the greater scheme of what’s going on in the world is astonishing - I assume they are Tory or Reform supporters who have been so profoundly triggered.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
I think she did. I do think there’s a world of difference with Farage and his thinly veiled racism though. There’s Tory MPs I disagree with and some I loath but only a few I’d chuckle at if they got a banana milkshake poured over them. JRM is a prime example as he’s so smug. Boris for sure.
Fair enough, I loathe Lammy and John McDonnell but I still wouldn't be cheering a random drenching in public I'd like to think we are above that but know that's incorrect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here