Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not condoning it, but fascists received far worse in the past. Mosley had bricks thrown at him.
Which is why, perhaps, he drove down Tooley Street, where my dad lived, in 1939, in an armoured car.

My dad, aged 15, was so impressed he joined the communist party the next day. Didn't last, but still....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m not condoning it, but fascists received far worse in the past. Mosley had bricks thrown at him.
Disappointing to know that the UK has softened up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Election dilemma.

Within range are Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Liz Truss, Michael Gove and Boris.

But you only have the one milkshake.......
Truss by a country mile - I get a reminder of her every month when my mortgage payment goes out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely the part of the point of remaining in the EU was because we didn't want to lose the cheap labour? One of the reasons people in the less affluent north liked the idea of leaving the EU, is because people on low wages don't particularly like the idea of keeping those wages low. If we import fewer immigrants to do the less well paid jobs, those jobs may become better paid.
So instead of looking to better yourself and find higher paid employment you take this selfish attitude, whine and point the finger at Johnny Foreigner pushing Brexit and inflation onto the rest of us. It also demonstrates a breathtaking lack of imagination and ambition.

Shocking.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Truss by a country mile - I get a reminder of her every month when my mortgage payment goes out.
Indeed. At an estimated 30 billion, she cost the country 211 times what the Rwanda fiasco has cost us so far. Just like with Brexit, the whole world was telling her she was wrong, but she still believes she was right to borrow money to give it away in tax cuts, and that it was just her presentation she got wrong.

That's proper, sustained incompetence. Everyone else is just playing at it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Surely the part of the point of remaining in the EU was because we didn't want to lose the cheap labour? One of the reasons people in the less affluent north liked the idea of leaving the EU, is because people on low wages don't particularly like the idea of keeping those wages low. If we import fewer immigrants to do the less well paid jobs, those jobs may become better paid.
It’s something of a myth that foreigners are used for “cheap labour”.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So instead of looking to better yourself and find higher paid employment you take this selfish attitude, whine and point the finger at Johnny Foreigner pushing Brexit and inflation onto the rest of us. It also demonstrates a breathtaking lack of imagination and ambition.
Well said.

I used to work in IT. During my career, I lost my job or contract due to outsourcing (being replaced by cheap Indian labour) EIGHT times. Each time it happened, I didn't waste time blaming Indians. I just went out and got another job.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Workers rights have been completely eroded. Many jobs are now zero hours contracts.
It took decades to get a 37 hour week. I can remember when Saturday morning was still part of a working week, and hours were reduced to 40. Sick pay was negligible, and holidays were just two weeks a year. Maternity leave wasn’t allowed in the 70s. The EU helped with many of those rights.

Unions started off as a good thing but got too big for their boots. I still believe in unions, when run properly and not used as political weapons.

The Tory party wants workers, but they want profits more. Greed always wants more.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if fixtures, but do these migration figures take into account the large number of foreign students studying at our schools, colleges and universities?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well said.

I used to work in IT. During my career, I lost my job or contract due to outsourcing (being replaced by cheap Indian labour) EIGHT times. Each time it happened, I didn't waste time blaming Indians. I just went out and got another job.
I remember during the Brexit period a poster said that unqualified Eastern Europeans who could not even speak the language were coming over here and taking jobs. He was told that if he felt challenged by people who had no qualifications and could not even speak English maybe he had to up his game a little.

Whilst I have sympathy for anyone struggling with their work and pay etc I do not have a lot of time for people who start pointing the finger at others who are trying to get on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apologies if fixtures, but do these migration figures take into account the large number of foreign students studying at our schools, colleges and universities?
Yes, the Tories changed it to include students, who, of course, return home when their courses have finished.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That's a very controversial viewpoint, especially on this site. Do you genuinely believe that when a poor man wants more and the rich man won't give it him, it's the poor man who is greedy?
When the rich tell the poor, that its immigrants that are the problem, rather than the rich themselves then you get racism.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Indeed. At an estimated 30 billion, she cost the country 211 times what the Rwanda fiasco has cost us so far. Just like with Brexit, the whole world was telling her she was wrong, but she still believes she was right to borrow money to give it away in tax cuts, and that it was just her presentation she got wrong.

That's proper, sustained incompetence. Everyone else is just playing at it.
I know that Truss was woefully arrogant and incompetent, but whenever this sort of subject comes up, I feel we have been so spoilt for choice over the last 14 years and yet I simply cannot look beyond Boris Johnson.

Johnson is the absolute icon for bullshit populism. The man lacks any moral fibre whatsoever, says only what he thinks people want to hear, and treats other people's money as if it doesn't matter. His time in any office has been riddled with corruption, waste, lack of detail, botch and bodge.

So for all that Truss's crap economic idea shows her up for what she is, don't think for a minute that if Johnson had been advised that cutting taxes for the rich without properly costing them would have saved his Premiership but also might have risked national economic collapse, he wouldn't have given a moment's thought for the latter.

He remains the worst PM I've ever seen, and by some distance. An absolute toad.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I remember during the Brexit period a poster said that unqualified Eastern Europeans who could not even speak the language were coming over here and taking jobs. He was told that if he felt challenged by people who had no qualifications and could not even speak English maybe he had to up his game a little.

Whilst I have sympathy for anyone struggling with their work and pay etc I do not have a lot of time for people who start pointing the finger at others who are trying to get on.
100%. Word for word.

Those who point their fingers at others who are trying to get on, are making a huge mistake. For a start, it's a waste of time. Time they could have spent on doing something useful, like applying for jobs.

But it's much worse than that. By blaming others for your own misfortune, you promote a sense of victimhood. It's someone else's fault. Not your fault. So, in your world, any solution to your problems lies in the kindness of strangers. So you aren't going to help yourself out of your pit. The problem is that strangers don't care about you. You are the one who is by far, the best placed to help you.

My wife comes from Accrington, near to where @dsr-burnley lives. I know the area very well. There is a very strong sense of community up there, but also a very powerful 'groupthink' - conforming to the norm. You think what your neighbour thinks. Except when your neighbour looks a little different to you. When I first visited the town, I was taken aback by the Asian ghettos. There is little or no integration between the whites and the British Asian communities.

Those who 'get it', can clean up. Those who don't, assign themselves, and their children, to a lifetime of victimhood.

There is a link between Brexit, racism and victimhood. They are all related, and they all have a deleterious effect on people's lives.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Do you believe that nett migration of +800,000 a year is sustainable - and as a Green Party supporter (if you are) where would you house everyone?

I don't understand how huge population increases (that's a city the size of Leeds every year) and preservation of the countryside is compatible.
There we go again, believing that immigrants are the cause of our ills, rather than acknowledging them as net contributors to our society.

The NHS is crumbling because of chronic under investment; ditto schools; ditto social care; ditto an overstretched police service...I could go on.

The people to blame are the conservative government and their misuse of public funds, spent subsidising shareholder dividends rather than supporting the public.

I reject the premise that immigration is the main problem, it's just a cheap dogwhistle to attract votes for politicians who have alternative motives for power.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There we go again, believing that immigrants are the cause of our ills, rather than acknowledging them as net contributors to our society.

The NHS is crumbling because of chronic under investment; ditto schools; ditto social care; ditto an overstretched police service...I could go on.

The people to blame are the conservative government and their misuse of public funds, spent subsidising shareholder dividends rather than supporting the public.

I reject the premise that immigration is the main problem, it's just a cheap dogwhistle to attract votes for politicians who have alternative motives for power.
Sorry, but where am I saying that immigrants are the cause of our ills?

I asked a specific question of you with regards to The Green Party, their policy on Housing, their policy on immigration and how it matches with protecting the Countryside.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry, but where am I saying that immigrants are the cause of our ills?

I asked a specific question of you with regards to The Green Party, their policy on Housing, their policy on immigration and how it matches with protecting the Countryside.
The Green Party policy on housing is to build more council houses and end the right to buy and make renting fairer, it's not incompatible with a humane immigration policy.

Immigrants are not trashing the countryside either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here