Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicest place you have visited in Europe (excluding UK)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Squiddy

We go to Korcula this summer, where is the huge colliseum in your pictures?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Formentera, never thought I would find a paradise like this in europe.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Squiddy

We go to Korcula this summer, where is the huge colliseum in your pictures?

Looks like the one in Pula

Dave is correct, Dave.

However Korcula has MUCH to recommend it none the less. And it's easy to use it as a base from which to explore more of the region. There's a weekly hydrofoil service that will take you to Split via Hvar and I'd definitely recommend it if you find the time. You should also go up the road from Korcula town to the wine making village of Lumbarda which makes for a very pleasant day trip. And lastly I'd advise going for a meal across the channel from Korcula, back on the mainland in Orebic, where there is a fantastic little seafood restaurant along the seafront, marked by a big model of a satisfied looking fat chef. I believe Chappers will corroborate this as it was in fact he who recommended said restaurant to me. Be sure to try the local delicacy of black squid risotto.

I envy you. A truly marvellous part of the world

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Antwerp or Seville. Probably Antwerp - amazing city.

Another shout for Antwerp especially when their beer festival is on in the main square.

Kefalonia is the most beautiful I,d say.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Vias Plage in the South Of France, sleepy harbour surrounded by vineyards (obviously not the med side) For winter the view at Val Cenis in the alps over looking the Mont Cenis is simply stunning.

Oh and Antigua and Kefalonia come a very close 2nd.

I'll bag for the Maremma area of Tuscany. Typical tuscan countryside with amazing climate, food and wine. Untouched by foreign tourists and great beaches just a short drive down the hills.
Try a little village called Scansano.
Folk in Montalcino used to warn me about the likelihood of catching malaria in the Maremma. I never did, though, and I guess it was a myth that lost its justification about five generations ago.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
mine would have to be
1 Norrköping but that might have been because of the blonde i met and spent the week with :lolol:
2 Interlaken in switzerland and
3 as previous mentions Dubrovnik

happy days :guitar:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Santorini/Lesbos/Cephelonia

Berwang/ Alpbach in austria

Dubrovnic

Venice/ Sienna / Florence / Rome

barcelona

Dordogne/ Saumur

Boscastle/ Peak district

Saumur is nowhere near the Dordogne. Do you mean Sarlat?

Saumur is in the Loire valley, which is great in its own right.

I love Rouen - more medieval buildings still standing than any other City in France outside Paris.

Beaune and that part of Burgundy.

And then there is Umbria.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The old bit of Rouen is nice - however I believe it was all flattened during the war and rebuilt. The bits around the old nice bit belongs on another thread entitled "which French city do you always manage to get lost in when travelling to the Vendee, how hard would it be to put up some large signs with "Le Mans" on them?". Admittedly it is better than it was in this respect.

My understanding is that, when the Allies were bombing Rouen during the war, they were going for the river, the Port and particularly the bridges. The old part of the city is away from the river and was largely unharmed. One amazing piece of foresight was the removal and storage for safe keeping of some particularly fine stained glass from one city centre church in case it was bombed. The Church was bombed, and the stained glass was rebuilt in to a modern Church - Eglise Jeanne D'Arc, because it is very close to where the she was burnt at the stake by the British. It is one of the most - no, the most stunning Modern Church I have ever been in.

And if you want Churches, Chartres has to be seen.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Porec in Croatia is heaven on earth.

My Honeymoon was 2 weeks in Porec. It was in the eastern block then, nice and hot I remember but had Welsh couple we could not get away from every time we went to the pool, got a wooden carved plate somewhere.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ibiza is rather nice if you stay away from San An.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Ah somebody mentioned Sitges is nice today but because its where we are based when working in Spain its just a normal town, the old banked circuit on the south end is interesting though:angel:

Attachments

• PB300179.JPG
    PB300179.JPG
    794.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0179.jpg
    IMAG0179.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 28

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Saumur is nowhere near the Dordogne. Do you mean Sarlat?

Saumur is in the Loire valley, which is great in its own right.

I love Rouen - more medieval buildings still standing than any other City in France outside Paris.

Beaune and that part of Burgundy.

And then there is Umbria.

I know I was listing out places that we love. Sorry if that wasnt clear for you. I have also been to sarlat many times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here