Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice new BNP branch in Brighton...

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe I didn't make it clear on my original post. I concur that Labours policies have a hand in the current situation, it was more a comment on the position we are presently in, not an apportioning of blame.

Oh, righto, so those race riots that occured in 2001 weren't the baby eating parties fault then. Thats cleared up then.

I think you have left of one teensy weensy thing concerning our position and problems we as a country face, someone has to get us out of the dire financial situation we are in after the previous governement that took over in 1997 left office in May 2010.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The common tactic of these so called "anti-fascists" is to put pressure on the landlord of the premises using all manner of threats and abuse and then as they did here, mobilise a thirty strong mob to as I said if necessary physically prevent the meeting take place.

"Tonight in Brighton, 30 people turned up outside the Branch Tavern Pub in London Road to protest, forcing the BNP to scuttle off elsewhere". Quote.

Apparently the fascists moved off elsewhere although where the BNP supporters went is not clear.

and I repeat.
How were they physically prevented?
Nobody prevented the meeting.
There was a protest..ok...how is that preventing their meeting?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh, righto, so those race riots that occured in 2001 weren't the baby eating parties fault then. Thats cleared up then.

I think you have left of one teensy weensy thing concerning our position and problems we as a country face, someone has to get us out of the dire financial situation we are in after the previous governement that took over in 1997 left office in May 2010.

I think we may be arguing the same point here. I was drawing similarities to the 80's not blaming one party or another.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Is the Branch Tavern the one with tables and chairs outside the back? If so I was sat outside there in the summer, must of seen at least 5 drug deals taking place and people selling bottles of methadone, horrible part of town.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

surely you mean "the previous government" AND THE BANKS

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Fascists typically use fear and intimidation as a political tactic.
Protest one of their meetings, and people suddenly get all
sensitive and precious about it. Give me a break.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I think we may be arguing the same point here. I was drawing similarities to the 80's not blaming one party or another.

and worst of all a bloody conservative govmt. It's like Thatcher never went away.

That quote does not suggest this. It seemed like a political point to me and seemed to be correlating a rise of the BNP with the fact that we now have a Tory govt.

Two points

1) maybe it is isn't the worst thing to have a Con (+Lib) government, seeing what a wretched state the previous government left our country in and 2) for goodness sake get over Thatcher she went 20 flipping years ago, Cameron is in charge now a different person with different ideas. Move on, you don't ever hear right wingers banging on about Wilson or Callaghan causing all the problems of this country do you.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
and worst of all a bloody conservative govmt. It's like Thatcher never went away.

That quote does not suggest this. It seemed like a political point to me and seemed to be correlating a rise of the BNP with the fact that we now have a Tory govt.

Two points

1) maybe it is isn't the worst thing to have a Con (+Lib) government, seeing what a wretched state the previous government left our country in and 2) for goodness sake get over Thatcher she went 20 flipping years ago, Cameron is in charge now a different person with different ideas. Move on, you don't ever hear right wingers banging on about Wilson or Callaghan causing all the problems of this country do you.

well, however badly I made my point that was my intention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Part of the blame lies with both on the main parties moving to the middle ground. Labour are perceived to have left their working class roots (apparently a lot of disaffected people go straight from Labour to the BNP without going through the Lib Dems and/or Conservatives) and the Conservatives don't have any right wing big beasts like Tebitt for right minded people to rally round.

While I certainly don't agree with joining the BNP, one can perhaps understand the reasoning for some.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Fascists typically use fear and intimidation as a political tactic.
Protest one of their meetings, and people suddenly get all
sensitive and precious about it. Give me a break.

I know the far left are fascistic thugs of the worst kind, but I think they should still be allowed to demonstrate, they just shouldn't be allowed to interfere in the democratic process.:wink:

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I know the far left are fascistic thugs of the worst kind, but I think they should still be allowed to demonstrate, they just shouldn't be allowed to interefre in the democratic process.:wink:

Nobody interfered with any BNP meeting.
There was a protest outside...big fecking deal....

Which far left fascistic thugs are you referring to exactly, or are you just
being theatrical?

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
i was in berlin the other week and had an apartment in the nice and leafy prenzlauerberg district.

i noticed however that at a jewsih school on the main street they had to have 24 hour police protection.

always thought berlin to be a very tolerant city but they must have much bigger issues than us!

I was stationed in Berlin a month after the wall came down, it was full of headbangers due to the fact West Berlin escaped the national service that the rest of W Germany had as compulsory; hence all the right and left wing oddballs moving there to avoid the draft.

Full of nazi skins rucking with Turks as I remember, many of the skins newly released from the now non-existent East Germany. Hertha Berlin had an influx of about 10,000 new Eastern fans, a large proportion of which were neo-nazis.

Roughest city I've ever been in, and I've hung out in some rough 'uns in my time. I had to endure the 1990 World Cup there, we were confined to barracks as the Germans (mostly seig heiling skins) turned up outside our camp after the semi-final defeat, waving flags and offering us all out from the tops of their cars. Two scousers scaled a wall round the back armed with a bass broom and got nicked for attacking a bar full of boxheads with it.

Marvellous scenes

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The Jewish quarter here is guarded since a thwarted attempt 4 years ago by Al Qaeda to blow up the oldest synagogue in Europe (nazis didnt destroy it as they wanted it as a museum) here in Prague simultaneously as an attack on a Synagogue in Amsterdam.

It was supposed to have occurred on my first weekend here in Prague...didnt find out the details about it until 5 or 6 months later when talking to some woman from the American Embassy...

Freaked me out my first time in Wenceslas Square seeing very heavily armed police wearing balaclavas and cradling the sort of machine gun that you have to lay down with to fire. Wondered if id made a big mistake moving here haha.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I was stationed in Berlin a month after the wall came down, it was full of headbangers due to the fact West Berlin escaped the national service that the rest of W Germany had as compulsory; hence all the right and left wing oddballs moving there to avoid the draft.

Full of nazi skins rucking with Turks as I remember, many of the skins newly released from the now non-existent East Germany. Hertha Berlin had an influx of about 10,000 new Eastern fans, a large proportion of which were neo-nazis.

Roughest city I've ever been in, and I've hung out in some rough 'uns in my time. I had to endure the 1990 World Cup there, we were confined to barracks as the Germans (mostly seig heiling skins) turned up outside our camp after the semi-final defeat, waving flags and offering us all out from the tops of their cars. Two scousers scaled a wall round the back armed with a bass broom and got nicked for attacking a bar full of boxheads with it.

Marvellous scenes

I imagine you have seen a diffarant side to Belin given your job there but in my experience it is one of my favourite cities I have visited. Obviously it has changed a lot since you were posted there. Have you been back since, if not I think you would be pleasently surprised at the change.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I imagine you have seen a diffarant side to Belin given your job there but in my experience it is one of my favourite cities I have visited. Obviously it has changed a lot since you were posted there. Have you been back since, if not I think you would be pleasently surprised at the change.

Actually I'd say it's the reverse. I've been going to Berlin regularly since the 80s and have noticed that the far-right skinheads seem to be growing in number. Don't get me wrong, I love the place, but it does have more than its far share of meatheads.

I'll be there on Tuesday so will check out for myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here