Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News Of The World- RIP

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Somehow this thread has gone from a debate on the NOTW, to saving animals :/

I have just rescued a number of items from a kitchen cupboard, plus several more from the fridge and a lemon...they have all been mixed together and in about fourty minutes should re-appear as a lemon and almond bakewell tart. Do I win today's prize for human kindness?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I have just rescued a number of items from a kitchen cupboard, plus several more from the fridge and a lemon...they have all been mixed together and in about fourty minutes should re-appear as a lemon and almond bakewell tart. Do I win today's prize for human kindness?

You have won yourself a paper hat.

Lopster

Nov 26, 2008
sad day for a Free British Press
exposing villains - asking the questions that others were afraid to - leading edge of the gutter press maybe but also the sharp edge! - along with a certain amount of dirt the NOTW has exposed hundreds of truly nasty individuals and practices over the years - their techniques will not have been uniquely theirs I am sure - now their is no paper left that will question the unquestionable - as I say - a sad day for our free press

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
exposing villains - asking the questions that others were afraid to - leading edge of the gutter press maybe but also the sharp edge! - along with a certain amount of dirt the NOTW has exposed hundreds of truly nasty individuals and practices over the years - their techniques will not have been uniquely theirs I am sure - now their is no paper left that will question the unquestionable - as I say - a sad day for our free press

Well said

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Well for the sake of a free press thank God they were exposed by the Guardian - an exceptional piece of (legal and legitimate) investigative journalism.

Just been shopping and the supermarket had a mountain of unsold copies of the NOTW. Ditto the garage when I pulled in for petrol. If that mini straw poll is anything to go by it seems that in overprinting they miscalculated their continuing popularity

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always seemed to me that NoTW was BY FAR more of a force for good than evil. There's some damn fine reportage going down the pan for reasons that have nothing to do with the reporters. Apart from anything else, their football coverage was immense.

Absolutely tragic that 150 years of history should be sacrificed on the altar of protecting that ginger bitch and whatever sway she holds over the Murdoch empire.

If he can do it to the NoTW then he can do it to the Premier League. Now THAT would be funny - the whole thing would crumble like a pack of cards overnight :lol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Well for the sake of a free press thank God they were exposed by the Guardian - an exceptional piece of (legal and legitimate) investigative journalism.

Indeed, it is fine to have a gutter press, but once they stoop lower than that some serious questions need to be asked. Investigative journalism is one thing, but in the case of the NoTW several laws of the land have been broken in the most heinous of manners, thanks to the Guardian for exposing them.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

I actually disagree with that. I don't often like Steve Coogan but his comments on Tuesdays Newsnight have been reported in todays guardian and I have to agree with him, the NOTW too often hide behind a smoke screen of freedom of press......

Excerpt first:

"In an angry appearance on BBC2's Newsnight, Coogan, who has been the repeated target of tabloid stings about his personal life, accused Paul McMullan, a former News of the World deputy features editor, of being a "risible" and "morally bankrupt" individual who merely peddled "tittle-tattle" while hiding behind a "smokescreen" of phony support for the freedom of the press in Britain.

"People keep saying it is a very bad day for the press," said Coogan. "It is a wonderful day for the press: a small victory for decency and humanity." Railing against a complacent acceptance in Britain that media intrusion was simply "part of the landscape", the performer who became famous as the fictional failing media star Alan Partridge said he did not believe there were only a few rotten apples working in News International. "People talk as if they have fallen below their usual high standards. They were already in the gutter, it is just that they have sunk lower than anyone thought they could," he said."

Full article here :

Hugh Grant and Steve Coogan join war on red tops | Media | The Observer

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Indeed, it is fine to have a gutter press, but once they stoop lower than that some serious questions need to be asked. Investigative journalism is one thing, but in the case of the NoTW several laws of the land have been broken in the most heinous of manners, thanks to the Guardian for exposing them.

I completely understand what your saying. But the people involved in this were all former editors, reporters etc. I just feel bad for the decent law abiding reporters who went about their job the right way. I know i said it before but every apple tree, has rotten apples. The NOTW had its fair share of rotten 1s. Lets not forget the good 1s

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
the people involved in this were all former editors, reporters

Is that unquestionably true or is it perfectly reasonable to suggest that the practices which have brought this paper down may well have continued to the present day (many of their better known "celebrity" targets are adamant that this is the case) and indeed that they may well be rife elsewhere in the group which has a unified management structure?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
bit perturbed this morning to listen to the apologists saying how unfair that the current journalists are suffering for what their predecessors did wrong. Does anyone seriously think that Murdoch would close the paper down so quickly if the malfeasance wasn't still ongoing?

Murdoch believes it will affect his ability to buy the remaining 60% stock in BSkyB. Newspapers are a dying industry, whereas Sky and such companies are a growth industry. We all have less money to spend so home entertainment is an important part of our lives.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Murdoch believes it will affect his ability to buy the remaining 60% stock in BSkyB. Newspapers are a dying industry, whereas Sky and such companies are a growth industry. We all have less money to spend so home entertainment is an important part of our lives.

In which case, more power to Vince Cable's elbow :D
Perhaps Cameroon should listen to him?

I know i said it before but every apple tree, has rotten apples. The NOTW had its fair share of rotten 1s.
And I know I've said this before ... the point is that NO newspaper outside the News International stable has sunk to the level of the NOTW. Trying to spread the blame ("We're all in this together" - © Call Me Dave) is an unacceptable defence of the Murdochs.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Trying to spread the blame ("We're all in this together" - © Call Me Dave) is an unacceptable defence of the Murdochs.

In a corporation with a unified management structure it could prove to be an extremely dangerous defence in the longer term

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here