Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News of signings from poyet

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Difficult one about Barnes. In a normal situation, considering we paid £60k for him, £1.1 million would be an amazing price. While the lad has potential, it would be a huge risk for Bristol City to pay that amount as he is not worth it just yet, and is an offer we should immeidately accept. Normally.

However, if we really do not need the money and he fits in with Gus' plans, we may not even sell him at that price. You get the impression that at the moment, players will only leave if either we don't want/need them anymore, or the player wants to go. I can't see Ash wanting to leave to Bristol City enough to force it through, unless they were considerably increasing his wage. Would be crazy to see us turn that much money down though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'd like us to keep hold of Barnes as well, I like him. Only thing is I would guess that the starting strike partnership is going to be Hoskins and CMS, so first team opportunities may be few and far between for him.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I was concerned that in trying to aim so high with league position we'd go for quick fixes rather than developing players. I really hope this doesn't happen with Barnes. I believe he has massive potential and deserves a chance at the level, although undoubtedly he will learn from the other strikers. I really hope we hang on to him and he does get the occasional game.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Torbs done really well for the development squad last year, I'd quite like him to go out on loan to get some 1st team experience this season.

Good call on Agdestien, at some point in his development he'll need first team football. If he can go to a League 2 or 1 club and bag some goals it'll be good for everyone.

If Barnes gets game time this season he will score goals and his value will increase exponentially. See how he goes this year and review his position next summer but crazy to let him go now. £1m is his realistic current value based on last season + age + potential for development. In 12 months time it could be three or four times that.

Barnes is a great finisher and will always get goals if given the right service, but last season he didn't look the same player without Murray. He is young though and I'd like to see him stay, if he leaves we'll only need to replace him so whats the point.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
For me, I'd really like to see the influence CMS has on Barnes. In a way, they're very similar types of players- not necessarily the most streamlined, but they harrass and cover a lot of ground, and score when they're in the position to. Barnes can learn a lot from CMS.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
its a joke, why would Charlton sell a player they have just bought who was fancied by a lot of teams?

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
For me, I'd really like to see the influence CMS has on Barnes. In a way, they're very similar types of players- not necessarily the most streamlined, but they harrass and cover a lot of ground, and score when they're in the position to. Barnes can learn a lot from CMS.

Good point

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Good call on Agdestien, at some point in his development he'll need first team football. If he can go to a League 2 or 1 club and bag some goals it'll be good for everyone.

I would rather he stayed with the Albion and continued to be trained in Gus's way of playing football.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think that suggesting Barnes won't get many games next season is exaggerating somewhat. He may well not be a regular starter but if we are to maintain the pace which is Gus' major weapon over a full 90 minutes he will regularly come on as a sub and given that he has good pace and movement it might well be to his advantage to do so against tiring sides.

For that reason I would definitely keep him.

The only reason I could see him leaving is if he were to decide that he wanted to be nearer his and his partner's families in the west country.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I would rather he stayed with the Albion and continued to be trained in Gus's way of playing football.

Hmmm, thats a good point but I think if we have a choice of where he goes we can make sure he goes to a good footballing team. We seem to be basing our set-up around Barcelonas so what do they do with their developing players, send them out on loan or keep them? I honestly don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here