Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can just about forgive the 3rd goal conceded, the 4th was a shocker.
The third was avoidable, all the defenders had stepped up over the HW line, except Van Hecke who tried to do so too late. I dont want to scape goat anyone as all players have good and bad games, but my objective opinion on tonights performance is both Van Hecke and Buonanotte dont look ready yet for this level? acceptin they're thrust in there as squad is paper thin rn.

Van Hecke was great in the FA cup v Stoke, but thats lower half championship oppo, Buonanotte has flashes of brilliance but no fluidity or consistency (like Enciso a few months back), so there's hope for both...... but neither imho look quite up to the rigours of the yet, quality wise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This game was a free-hit but it was frustrating to cave in at the end like that.

Some strange tactical play but De Zerbi knows what he's doing. He's done too well to question throwing the youngsters on into a lion's den. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Onto Sunday and three points hopefully............
The commentators, who were Toon fans for the night, kept talking about how we needed to change our approach. Dickheads the pair of them, they clearly hadn’t done any research

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Full strength side against Southampton and win, rest against Man City and accept defeat, full strength against Villa and win, job done
Its a gamble to 'rest' players and I doubt we can, arguably the 1st 3 subs tonight were 'rested' but still needed. The last 2 cheating dirty northerners goals were when we are chasing an equaliser it happens up until then I could see us getting a draw. Dunky superb tonight some excellent blocks as always giving everything. Gilmour extremely unlucky to come off played well second half. Need a reaction against Saints and I am expecting just that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its a gamble to 'rest' players and I doubt we can, arguably the 1st 3 subs tonight were 'rested' but still needed. The last 2 cheating dirty northerners goals were when we are chasing an equaliser it happens up until then I could see us getting a draw. Dunky superb tonight some excellent blocks as always giving everything. Gilmour extremely unlucky to come off played well second half. Need a reaction against Saints and I am expecting just that.
All of the above.

Full strength team last 3 games

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We don’t
Jesus Christ this forum is depressing when we lose. Football fans are morons. Sorry, yes, a lot of you are morons. No offence, like.

Is it not obvious that we have a half-strength, absolutely knackered side playing in over-congested fixtures, to the extent that we are having to play teenagers, including debuts tonight, against a top 4 team away?

Well, I thought it was obvious, anyway.
We don’t have to be happy about that so we?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
What?

Sorry Smally, one on one, he had absolutely no chance.
Bit harsh I know but as I said to anotehr poster who said the same, thought he left a yard too much on his near post for an easier finish for that diving p**** Wilson. He looked behind him to see he left a bit too much space. You're right though not really his fault.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The commentators, who were Toon fans for the night, kept talking about how we needed to change our approach. Dickheads the pair of them, they clearly hadn’t done any research
Yep, the co-commentator was really miffing me off with all the pro-Newcastle jargon. Must be what it has felt like for the opposition teams the past few months with all the commentators waxing lyrical over us!

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
You don’t save one on one’s or shouldn’t unless the forward fecks it up.

The issue was Van Hecke stepping up to play offside absolutely appalling decision at any level.
Maybe if we had 50 million to spend on PL ready PVH, he wouldn’t have done it. We don’t

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
How the Hecke can you expect a player who has hardly played fit in to a well oiled machine in a cauldron. That’s a management not a player issue.
Are you suggesting RDZ should have played someone else tonight? If so who?
Or are you suggesting van Hecke should have been given more game time across the season?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Clueless, they got on my nerves Toon w8nkers…..

Steele’s save low down was actually very good, as it was so close to his feet. Gave him next to no credit….

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Ah well. A shìt day at the office. My sympathy lies with the poor buggers left to trek back from Newcastle.

See you all on Sunday and let's see if we can put this behind us.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Tiredness, injuries, playing players out of positions because of those injuries, and youth players being thrown in = inconsistency in performance. You start our preferred 11 and you know how we'll play. Without that starting 11 it becomes up and down how we'll perform, thus Arsenal win & lose tonight.
Wolves though? We hammered them 6-0 with the 2nd fiddle.

It’s weird though. Really is. Now becoming stressful. So much at stake and utterly utterly unpredictable regardless of opposition. This team could beat Citeh and be hammered by Soton in same week. It’s completely crazy following us at the moment! :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you suggesting RDZ should have played someone else tonight? If so who?
Or are you suggesting van Hecke should have been given more game time across the season?
Overall I didn’t think he had a bad game, it’s a steep but valuable learning curve. One for the future imo

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Also Gilmour, I was really disappointed when RDZ took him off. i’d have left him on and taken Mitoma off, he offered f*** all tonight
Totally agree. Can only think he’s not fit enough to play 90 mins otherwise it was a bad decision from RDZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here