Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

SAC

May 21, 2014
Bit of a wild card but... anyone else think that Poyet might be tempted to throw his hat in the ring for this one? Computer says he's available again. Big project, big salary, big pay-off. He's worked in the North East before and, well, if the only competition for the job is Smug Eddie...

Apart from anything else would certainly add some spice to Saturday's game :lol:

I think he's be a good choice next season. Building a new team from scratch to get out of the Championship.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Do I get the distinct impression that Newcastle are fast becoming the poisoned chalice for prospective managers? Whether it’s because they’re in the relegation zone, or because they have a squad of shit players, or that there seems to be no club structure that’s answerable to, or being tainted with working for seriously dodgy owners (I’ll leave that one there!), or all the above?

One thing is for sure, Mike Ashley will be laughing his socks off. He’s got the monkey off his back and a big fat cheque in return

As for those enthusiastic Geordie fans welcoming the new regime - careful what you wish for.

I think definitely "all of the above".

It'll be a thankless task taking over Newcastle at the point. If you fail, you're reputation will have a pretty significant blot on it. If you succeed, everybody will say it's only because of the Saudi money you had to play with. It's like playing Football Manager where you give yourself millions of pounds to play with.

I think similar dynamics are going to play out with them trying to buy players. I also think there will be reluctance from players to be the first to sign since they will want to be sure that other quality players are joining too, or else they won't stand a chance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I

I think similar dynamics are going to play out with them trying to buy players. I also think there will be reluctance from players to be the first to sign since they will want to be sure that other quality players are joining too, or else they won't stand a chance.

With the very real possibility that they will be kicking off in the Championship next season. Which top class player is going to go for that?

They need a firefighter and squad building that comes nowhere near Champion’s League quality. This has to be a three year project as an absolute minimum imo. Walk before you try running, with some pretty dire football for a year or so. Survival should be the first thing on the agenda.

Obviously I hope they have aspirations much higher than that that end in a car crash

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Indeed. I get the feeling its a bit of a case of 'amateur hour' in the boardroom there. What do Stavely, the Reuben brothers, and a group of arabs in Riyadh know about running a Premier League football club ?

They've already publically naused it up with Emery. Now Smug Eddie knows full well he wasn't first choice as will any other candidate (and look how that turned out at Spurs). Who is the CEO / Director of Football driving the decisions there, and what skills, knowledge and experience are they bringing to the table ?

Throwing money around is not the answer to all the problems there. Its starting to look like a lovely shambles already.

Yes, and hidden in the BBC breaking article from Guillem Balague was this lovely addition that has gone under the radar.

As well as Howe and former Roma boss Fonseca, Balague reports the Magpies have previously made approaches for new Tottenham manager Antonio Conte, Barcelona legend Xavi and ex-Germany manager Joachim Low but all have turned the opportunity down.

Really want us to stuff them on Saturday.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
They need a firefighter, with years in the game, experience of relegation battles. Perhaps someone who has kept a similar prem team up for the last few years despite a poor squad, extensive contacts to use in January and preferably a geordie to keep the crowd onside.

I give you, Steve Bruce.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The new board have clearly decided that they need a 'name' manager, rather than an interim figure. The problems with that strategy is that big managers like Emery do not want to start with a poor squad deep in the relegation mire.

The transfer window opens on 1st January 2021 with 10 Prem matches to be played before then - exactly the same amount that Nuno got before he was sacked at Spurs.

The alternative strategy would have been to appoint a manager on a short-term contract to 'firefight' their way out of the relegation and get them through to the summer, but there's a lack of viable candidates and that would involve playing a pragmatic brand of football the hierarchy probably wouldn't want to see.

Eddie Howe is now odds-on favourite for the job, and if he gets the gig it will be interesting to see the length of contract. He is the sort of manager that has some credibility, Prem nous and plays good football - and he has the advantage of having worked with Wilson, Fraser and Ritchie at Bournemouth. However, I can't see that he would be able to attract the sort of players that could take Newcastle from c. 15th place into the Top 4. I fancy a 2 1/2 year deal might be the compromise they'd reach.

The Qatar World Cup finishes in December 2022 and there will be a number of international managers looking for work at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if Newcastle went with Howe with the intention of paying him off in Dec 22 and bringing in someone post-World Cup. However, even that could be problematic as they'd go straight from a tournament into a transfer window and busy fixture period.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
All this is only temporary .They will eventually be up the top although many top players will not want to live in that part of the world.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Emery saying no is a disaster for Newcastle

Not because Howe is a bad manager (though we don't know if that will happen), but because publicly not getting your first (or second or third choice) manager looks appalling when their best chance of survival is being able to convince players that it's a club people want to go to.

And do you know what, i'd love it if we were the club to put another nail in their relegation coffin.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can understand not having a manager ready for the takeover as they are all going around in a high speed carousel and you never know who might be available, but that they didnt have a CEO or Director of Football ready worrying (for them, that is). Who is making the football related decisions at the club?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If the smugster is in place for Saturday what could possibly go wrong?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You'd think unless Howe is appointed tomorrow they'll stick with Jones for Saturday.

That said I will never forget the freezing cold Tuesday night game at Leicester when they had just sacked Puel, appointed Rodgers that day who was in the stands and got absolutely twonked by a side that had been poor for many games previously...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Emery saying no is a disaster for Newcastle

Not because Howe is a bad manager (though we don't know if that will happen), but because publicly not getting your first (or second or third choice) manager looks appalling when their best chance of survival is being able to convince players that it's a club people want to go to.

And do you know what, i'd love it if we were the club to put another nail in their relegation coffin.

Exactly. Spurs being a prime example and only got Conte in the end after Conte not getting another job and (allegedly) increased wage offer and giving in to transfer pot demands.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Newcastle's big problem is their defence. In that respect, Eddie Howe is a very poor choice of manager....Bournemouth played some decent stuff under him, but defensively they were hopeless (esp in the season they got relegated). And he's been out of work for well over a year.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
All this is only temporary .They will eventually be up the top although many top players will not want to live in that part of the world.

I’ve heard this before - about players not wanting to live in that part of the world. For starters the weather can be awful in winter, and even in summer, and will not go down well with those from more exotic climes. Newcastle, although a smashing city, may not have the continental pull that London, Liverpool and Manchester have.

In truth our lovely little seaside abode of Brighton and Hove has more going for it. The cosmopolitan atmosphere with all its giddy weirdness is an absolute magnet. Chuck in the location, thirty minutes from Gatwick Airport, an hour from London. Superb stadium and training facilities to boot. What’s not to like?
So I’m afraid Newcastle will struggle when it comes to promoting location. More like ‘Homes Under The Hammer’ than ‘A Place In The Sun’.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Bit of a wild card but... anyone else think that Poyet might be tempted to throw his hat in the ring for this one? Computer says he's available again. Big project, big salary, big pay-off. He's worked in the North East before and, well, if the only competition for the job is Smug Eddie...

Apart from anything else would certainly add some spice to Saturday's game :lol:

Ahh yes Mr Poyet! 'Glass Ceilings' and Newcastle are now impossible to use in the same sentence.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Please god don’t appoint Howe before Saturday. Stupid cherubic school boy Bobby Moore wannabe has a hex over us!

The only time Mr. Smug Perfect left his beloved Bournemouth before, (when he went to Burnley), he got a nosebleed, Newcastle is even furfther away from home, heaven knows what would happen to him up there.

Will Eddie Howe really want the job?

After all, wasn't the reported reason for leaving Burnley and returning to Bournemouth is he didn't like working up north and his family are settled on the south coast?

Newcastle is a whole lot further north than Burnley.

If he is appointed before Saturday I'm sure he'll get a warm welcome from us... I remember that Burnley game when we had two sent off in the first half and the atmosphere it generated in the Amex. The result wasn't good but the atmosphere was fantastic with The Great Escape being sung constantly for about an hour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here