Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He sounds very unsure about it, I don't think he's going.

No manager for the weekend surely if they don't get anyone in today and chances of that look very slim.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is all working out rather nicely isn't it?

More disruption ahead of the game - the players would have been getting their heads around the news and what it might mean for them and now it's back to as they were and no plan for the immediate future...

Plenty of distraction for the coaching staff too - they should be underprepared for the game and hopefully in even more disarray than they have been.

Lovely stuff.

Yup, all true. So it's got 1-0 to Newcastle written all over it.

(Oh come on! We're Brighton! You know it's more than possible).

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yup, all true. So it's got 1-0 to Newcastle written all over it.

(Oh come on! We're Brighton! You know it's more than possible).

Especially since we’ve been in the Prem their record against us is won 0 drawn 4 and lost 4. Hate sequences like this when we come up against someone we should beat.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Do I get the distinct impression that Newcastle are fast becoming the poisoned chalice for prospective managers? Whether it’s because they’re in the relegation zone, or because they have a squad of shit players, or that there seems to be no club structure that’s answerable to, or being tainted with working for seriously dodgy owners (I’ll leave that one there!), or all the above?

One thing is for sure, Mike Ashley will be laughing his socks off. He’s got the monkey off his back and a big fat cheque in return

As for those enthusiastic Geordie fans welcoming the new regime - careful what you wish for.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't think all this uncertainty, unsettling news and confusion around the club bodes well for the Newcastle
players on sat.

So 0-1 final score then! ;)

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Great news, think they'll need some practice at running a football club if these failed appointments are any indication. Perhaps not used to conducting business in an unavoidably public manner.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reports that Emery wasn't entirely sold on the owner's strategy:

"What happens if I succeed?"
"We make you rich beyond your wildest dreams."

"And what happens if I don't succeed?"
>awkward silence

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It must be worrying for Toon fans that one of the reasons for being turned down was that there was no clear plan or direction apparent from the new owners
Given that this takeover was quite a long drawn out affair, you would expect that the owners would have had a structured plan in place and a good idea of what was required to run a football club.
Makes you think that perhaps they aren't that interested in the club or even football in particular

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It must be worrying for Toon fans that one of the reasons for being turned down was that there was no clear plan or direction apparent from the new owners
Given that this takeover was quite a long drawn out affair, you would expect that the owners would have had a structured plan in place and a good idea of what was required to run a football club.
Makes you think that perhaps they aren't that interested in the club or even football in particular

Of course they are not, it is just a commodity to them, a route to acceptability.

I give Newcastle fans 6 months if that, before rumblings of discontent.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Great news, think they'll need some practice at running a football club if these failed appointments are any indication. Perhaps not used to conducting business in an unavoidably public manner.

I thought that when one of their very first statements as new owners, was for fans not to wear dishcloths on their heads in a mock Arabic style.

Only to say that they don't mind a few weeks later when the fans carried on doing it and they didn't have any powers to stop them and realised they can do feck all about it after they were ignored.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But is there the slightest suggestion that Chelsea would be happy to sell? Even if they were, they would probably want way more than we would pay.

Agree ...I guess my main concern would be that he doesn't go to Newcastle as he might help turn them around whereas some of the other big names mentioned probably won't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now you see if I were an ambitious football manager, I'd absolutely love to have a go at managing Newcastle - or I would have before it became Geordie Arabia. A huge fanbase just waiting to get behind a decent team, a very interesting city with a strong identity, and in a beautiful part of the country once you get outside the urban areas. But I'm not sure it's smug Eddie's type of place. A bit far from Bournemouth for his liking.

/massively unrealistic and overinflated expectations from a very demanding (and bizarrely entitled) fan base, with a chairman that won’t back you financially. A horrendous job. IMO.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Steve Bruce is available. He knows the players and has is good enough to just about keep them up with a few additions in January.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a wild card but... anyone else think that Poyet might be tempted to throw his hat in the ring for this one? Computer says he's available again. Big project, big salary, big pay-off. He's worked in the North East before and, well, if the only competition for the job is Smug Eddie...

Apart from anything else would certainly add some spice to Saturday's game :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Indeed. I get the feeling its a bit of a case of 'amateur hour' in the boardroom there. What do Stavely, the Reuben brothers, and a group of arabs in Riyadh know about running a Premier League football club ?

They've already publically naused it up with Emery. Now Smug Eddie knows full well he wasn't first choice as will any other candidate (and look how that turned out at Spurs). Who is the CEO / Director of Football driving the decisions there, and what skills, knowledge and experience are they bringing to the table ?

Throwing money around is not the answer to all the problems there. Its starting to look like a lovely shambles already.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funny thing is - it is clearly Stavely leaking stuff to the press to appease fans, get popularity etc but if you can't get the deals done you shouldn't open your mouth. Proper noddy set up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here