Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York City to ban smoking in parks, beaches and boardwalks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well thats alright then as smoking in pubs is banned.

their general emptiness is testimony to how many people are enjoying it.

Which pubs are empty? And have many closed down? I tend to frequent mainly city centre pubs and most of these seem as busy as usual. Maybe the further you go out of town it becomes different?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well thats alright then as smoking in pubs is banned.

Maybe the pub clears when the look-out notices you're on your way?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

More tales from Cornwall ...

The delightful town of St Just (in Penwith) used to have five excellent pubs, all clustered around a small square. It now has four. The one that has closed is the one that hasn't been able to construct a permanently sheltered smoking area.

Cornwall Council do seem to have a very liberal interpretation of what a legal smoking area can look like and this seems to be supported by the locals. The smoking area of the Commercial Hotel in St Just got an award this year in the St Just in Bloom competition. When you're in it, it feels like you are totally enclosed - but the 'walls' turn out to be flower and hedge arrangements.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I spent a couple of days in Helston, Cornwall, last week. There is a famous pub there called The Blue Anchor (oldest established home-brew pub in the country), where the smoking arrangement was a huge marquee in what used to be the pub's garden. There were gaps in the marquee walls that apparently met the local council's understanding of what falls within the limits of a legal, under-cover smoking area. The marquee had a dozen or so tables and a permanent bar set up inside it. Room for about 100 people. And ashtrays.

The marquee was packed with customers, a good number of them non-smokers. The indoor bars in the pub had practically no-one in them (just a few real-ale bores, soaking up the experience of being inside a historic building).

The other pubs in Helston were almost empty.

Lesson?

The lesson is ? Wait till it gets cold and then the 'real-ale bores will have some company. That arrangement you detail is fine in summer.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
However, if I am outside and I want to smoke I frankly dont give a toss if someone finds it offensive. Move you silly sod.

If im outside, I will smoke...
Non smokers can get their knickers in a twist about it, but I dont give a f***. If you dont like it.....move....bwah, I was here first doesnt cut it.
Please even threaten me, I find these sort of people even funnier.

I find these sort of people the most obnoxious, they really can ruin places for so many people and they simply don't care. Move where? Another bar because you arrived and everyone should bow to your presence and disperse? Smokers up themselves attitudes are staggering sometimes.

dog shit smells like tobacco?

Just as offensive to a non smoker, smoke is an extremely pungent smell.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I bet you drive car though eh? I dont. Inconsiderate drivers stinking my clothes up in the city, and offering a greater opportunity of taking somebodies life than I will ever be able to achieve smoking cigarettes or joints.

and B)

We are discussing smoking in the open air you doughnut. If it offends you to move
10 yards away from somebody in the open air, then youre the sort of person that I find
obnoxious. Talk about up yourself.

Last edited:

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I bet you drive car though eh? I dont. Stinking my clothes up in the city.

and B)

We are discussing smoking in the open air you doughnut. If it offends you to move
10 yards away from somebody in the open air, then YOURE the sort of person that I find
obnoxious.

No I don't drive a car. If moving 10 yards solved the problem it wouldn't be an issue would it, but the smell is so strong and discusting it often doesn't, and some small cafes only have say 2-3 tables outside.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No I don't drive a car. If moving 10 yards solved the problem it wouldn't be an issue would it, but the smell is so strong and discusting it often doesn't, and some small cafes only have say 2-3 tables outside.

So avoid them, and find somewhere with a larger section outside?
Im being flippant obviously.
I find a lot of strong colognes horrible. Ive had to sit and breathe in
nasal searing chemical tinted odours when eating that certainly didnt add to
the flavour of my meal.
Obviously we will never agree, but I think a blanket ban is ridiculous.
Theres no reason why there are not smoking and non smoking establishments, the same as most places ive seen in mainland europe.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I do agree with you on the overall thread that a blanket ban is over the top.

Smokers and non smokers can co-exist if people are just reasonable. I just don't like people who sit in small bars / cafes, particularly upwind, blowing smoke over everyone else and then being quite rude if anyone points it out.

Anyway I'm off to the farmers market before it gets too busy, I didn't mean to come off brash.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone really believes that a whiff of a cigarette in a park or street in New York or any major city is actually more harmful to their health than actually breathing in New York or London? Anyone supporting this bollocks needs to realise that they are being f***ing precious as well as holier than thou.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I would suspect that the very cheap booze in supermarkets has more to do with the decline of the pub than the smoking ban.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would suspect that the very cheap booze in supermarkets has more to do with the decline of the pub than the smoking ban.

i would suspect that there are a number of factors in reality. having a pop at a law you think excessive and precious by using sweeping statements does not necessarily mean that is the sum total of your assessment of the issue. certain factors have more to do with the decline of some pubs than others. some come together in a perfect storm of pub fuckuperry. i would also suspect that if you you said the sky is blue on here someone would say something else.

i suspect if you asked a pub landlord on his arse if the smoking ban had affected their trade they are unlikely to answer "well i suspect it is more to do with cheap booze in supermarkets."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think smoking should be banned in all public places tbh. During the summer, sitting outside pubs, to have people's fag smoke wafting over me was intrusive. The argument it should be allowed outside pubs is basically flawed if there is a sitting area :(

My view also as it is virtually impossible to sit outside pof apub or coffee shop without being surrounded by smokers and the smell. It is even worse if standing at a bus stop.

If somebody wishes to smoke at home or in their own car so be it as we non smokers have the choice not to go to their home or in their car but we have no choice at pubs etc if we also want to sit outside or is this right confined to smokers only.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here