Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York City to ban smoking in parks, beaches and boardwalks

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I had to laugh when I used a public phone box this week with massive gaps, top , bottom and sides when I saw a notice " smoking is prohibited in these premises " how utterly ridiculous.

Oh so you want smoking in public banned but pissing in public places is ok is it?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eh, what ?.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am a non-smoker and to be honest pretty anti-smoking if it is done anywhere near me, but this is taking it a bit too far, as long as smokers dispose of their fag-butts responsibly then why on earth shouldn't they smoke outdoors?

This.

Im still not sure how smoking on a station such as Hassocks if done at the end of the station is classed as smoking inside.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but that smell doesn't damage your health?

potentially. there are carcenogens created in cooking, especially in frying and at very high temperatures.

i wonder if this is the step too far, someone will challange it legally and then might go on to the existing bans.

I sat outside Costa Coffee enjoying a cup of tea last Sunday when some prick of a smoker skins up a dirty old roll up and wafts the smoke over me, told him to eff off and he moved.

Smokers should be made to wear badges saying I STINK.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think smoking should be banned in all public places tbh. During the summer, sitting outside pubs, to have people's fag smoke wafting over me was intrusive. The argument it should be allowed outside pubs is basically flawed if there is a sitting area :(

And it should be banned in the taxi queue at Brighton station..

Oh hold on, it is...

it's just that the selfish tossers can't wait, and the station security / brighton council can't be arsed to enforce the ban...

:tantrum::tantrum:

:amex:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I had a funny thing happen quite shortly after the smoking ban, when people were still flouting it to some degree.

I was at Brixton Academy and cheekily lit a cigarette (there were plenty of others being smoked) when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to put it out - fair enough.

Then I looked at his T Shirt and it depicted Bob Marley smoking what looked like a foot long joint. He was less than impressed when I pointed this out.

I'm a smoker who can see the sense in the current legislation - taking it any further seems ridiculous to me.

And here's one for the 'You Smoke I Choke' brigade. Tax generated from the sale of tobacco is more than the entire budget of the NHS. So the 'drain on the NHS' arguement is bullshit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think smoking should be banned in all public places tbh. During the summer, sitting outside pubs, to have people's fag smoke wafting over me was intrusive. The argument it should be allowed outside pubs is basically flawed if there is a sitting area :(

I find your 'holier-than-f**king-thou- attitude' gets right up my nose too. Maybe you should be barred from public spaces as well?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I sat outside Costa Coffee enjoying a cup of tea last Sunday when some prick of a smoker skins up a dirty old roll up and wafts the smoke over me, told him to eff off and he moved.

Smokers should be made to wear badges saying I STINK.

I find your 'holier-than-f**king-thou- attitude' gets right up my nose too. Maybe you should be barred from public spaces as well?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And it should be banned in the taxi queue at Brighton station..

Oh hold on, it is...

it's just that the selfish tossers can't wait, and the station security / brighton council can't be arsed to enforce the ban...

:tantrum::tantrum:

:amex:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I had a funny thing happen quite shortly after the smoking ban, when people were still flouting it to some degree.

I was at Brixton Academy and cheekily lit a cigarette (there were plenty of others being smoked) when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to put it out - fair enough.

Then I looked at his T Shirt and it depicted Bob Marley smoking what looked like a foot long joint. He was less than impressed when I pointed this out.

I'm a smoker who can see the sense in the current legislation - taking it any further seems ridiculous to me.

And here's one for the 'You Smoke I Choke' brigade. Tax generated from the sale of tobacco is more than the entire budget of the NHS. So the 'drain on the NHS' arguement is bullshit.

Is the correct answer. Smokers pay for the costs to the NHS SIX times over, end.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

My issue was a general one with a certain type of selfish smoker who ignores bans where they are in place.

You replied with a direct attack on me personnally.

Nice.

I'm out of this conversation.

:amex: :amex:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Latest tax figures from tobacco sales: £9 billion per year

you can add to that VAT ( + £1.57 B), corporation tax on those based here ( + £1B). then theres the the contribution of profits to pension funds and the tens of thousands employed directly and indirectly by the industry, of which the treasury grabs a slice too.

while, it is not true that the tobacco taxes are greater than the whole NHS budget, it is true that they more than cover the cost of smoking related illness. which is why they dont outright ban it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here