Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York City to ban smoking in parks, beaches and boardwalks

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I smoke. I will not argue that it is not bad for you. I cannot argue with the smoking inside public places ban, even though I believe it is a vehicle to destroy social relationships. However, if I am outside and I want to smoke I frankly dont give a toss if someone finds it offensive. Move you silly sod.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If im outside, I will smoke...
Non smokers can get their knickers in a twist about it, but I dont give a f***. If you dont like it.....move....bwah, I was here first doesnt cut it.
Please even threaten me, I find these sort of people even funnier.
Anybody who drives a car and complains about smokers are fecking hypocrits as well.

Some of these non smoking comments now are bordering on the fecking ridiculous, and seem to be from some of the people who whinge about personal freedoms and freedom of speech in other threads.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its all done with the veil of " stop you are giving me cancer ". That is BOLLOCKS. The odds of someone getting cancer from someone smoking outside with the odd waft of smoke going in their direction is about 10000000000000000000000000-1.

But its not about the facts, its about I am holier than you, I am better than you, I am superior to you. Next time just ask them to move by saying " would you care to move as I don't wish to breath in your body odour anymore ".

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This.

Im still not sure how smoking on a station such as Hassocks if done at the end of the station is classed as smoking inside.

It's not they banned smoking from platforms under health and safety as they did'nt want people congregating at the end of platforms, What makes it any more dangerous than people congregating in the middle of a platform while they wait for a train is beyond me but there you go.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems pretty clear to me.

Either a goverment wants the tax raised from cigarettes, in which case society has to be reasonable and find sensible places for people to smoke, or it decides it doesn't want smoking allowed in any public place, in which case you may as well ban it.

Personally, I'd ban smoking on any premises licensed to serve food, but would allow it anywhere else, as long as there is provision for a non smoking area which is at least as big as the smoking area.

D

Deleted User X18H

I saw two guys having a row about smoking on Preston Park Station a while ago, then when I got to the platform a few others had joined in. The smoker was being lectured by about 4 different people about how his smoking was effecting them and of course pointing out it was illegal for him to be smoking on the platform. It didn't bother me as I was a little way from it. But I thought why not make your point and move along it's a big platform. But I also thought, how weak willed someone has to be, to deliberately lit up in what they know is a non smoking area, just so you can have a quick fix prior to the train turning up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The smoking ban in pubs was one of the best things that ever happened.

I'm not getting all moral about health or anything, it's just that it stinks, it makes you and your clothes reek even if it's not you smoking, and it makes it difficult and unpleasant to breathe.

It must also have made a lot of people think about giving up, which has to be a good thing.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Been given up near enough 7 years to the day but not really bothered by other ppl smoking. Only thing with banning smoking in pubs is that every half hour your sat there like billy no mates while all your mates piss off outside lol.
Seems really weird now that 15 years ago or so you could smoke on busses, trains, cinemas, planes etc. Is there a reduction in smoking related illnesses now after its been banned from everywhere???? I doubt it. Thats taking it a bit far in New York tho.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The smoking ban in pubs was one of the best things that ever happened.

I'm not getting all moral about health or anything, it's just that it stinks, it makes you and your clothes reek even if it's not you smoking, and it makes it difficult and unpleasant to breathe.

It must also have made a lot of people think about giving up, which has to be a good thing.

yes i agree it is good to go home from the pub and not be stinking of other ppl's smoking.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
How many of you smokers would be addicted now if the bans were in place when you were younger? I used to go clubbing 2/3 times a week and would always have a few cigarettes (not saying 'fag') whilst out, since the ban I never smoke, cant be bothered to stand outside.

Surely the less convenient it is to smoke, the less people that will START to smoke? Has to be a good thing surely?

I spent a couple of days in Helston, Cornwall, last week. There is a famous pub there called The Blue Anchor (oldest established home-brew pub in the country), where the smoking arrangement was a huge marquee in what used to be the pub's garden. There were gaps in the marquee walls that apparently met the local council's understanding of what falls within the limits of a legal, under-cover smoking area. The marquee had a dozen or so tables and a permanent bar set up inside it. Room for about 100 people. And ashtrays.

The marquee was packed with customers, a good number of them non-smokers. The indoor bars in the pub had practically no-one in them (just a few real-ale bores, soaking up the experience of being inside a historic building).

The other pubs in Helston were almost empty.

Lesson?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No idea why they came up with the blanket ban?.. Seems that most Euro countries have smoking and non smoking establishments....

The holier than thou crew in UK seem to be running the issue. I found many pubs in Brighton totally dull the last time I went home, with less people in them than I remember.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if you are a property developer keen on getting hold of some nice solid victorian buildings on the cheap.
Or alternatively, if you are a perfectly normal person who doesn't like the idea of smelling like an ash tray after a night out, thanks to other people smoking.

Which I suspect is what she is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or alternatively, if you are a perfectly normal person who doesn't like the idea of smelling like an ash tray after a night out, thanks to other people smoking.

The only down side to the smoking ban is clubs and gigs now smell of body odour and farts. No too disimilar to real ale pubs in fact. But given the choice of fags or farts I'll plump for farts I think.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

well thats alright then as smoking in pubs is banned.

their general emptiness is testimony to how many people are enjoying it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here