Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** New striker - Confirmed - Leroy Lita **

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed. I've noticed several since your post saying they're 'happy to be wrong' which is of course a complete cop-out. The bottom line is they WERE wrong. Some (by no means all), might want to think twice before gobbing off in future.

I was happy to be wrong but you've got to admit it was yet another fortnight of mixed messages from the club.

Bloom: We'll get in one, maybe two, strikers

Barber: Er we might not get anyone - it's quite difficult.

I'm paraphrasing of course but even some of the more colourful characters on here are a bit too sophisticated for good cop, bad cop.

The end result is that we got a decent forward in. Who cares about a pissing contest?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm now offended that we didn't get our first choice striker, what a shambles this club is :angry:

:jester:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm now offended that we didn't get our first choice striker, what a shambles this club is :angry:

:jester:

Not me, I am happy to be offended in that way. Lita instead of Obika, I can only think of one way that Obika would have headed Lita on the Burke list and that Burke was holding it upside down

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
F***king Wednesday reject we have signed now. We will soon be challenging the owls for relegation. Poyet wasn't wrong about hitting the ceiling. Last year bridge on loan this year lita.

Poyet was VERY wrong about us 'hitting the ceiling'. In fact it was an insult to Tony's investment and the very core of the club.

You'll see that on the next 2-3 years, when we progress upwards a league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet was VERY wrong about us 'hitting the ceiling'. In fact it was an insult to Tony's investment and the very core of the club.

Agreed, more a case of impatience on Gus' part and frustration born of not being able to compete financially with the parachute payment teams and FFP flouters imo. He had been given a pretty reasonable budget and had done well with it. Having acquired Ulloa after more than a year of chasing him, it seemed it was all coming together. Shame.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm quite enthused by this signing, although he's gonna take a while to get match fit

Yeah that's the worry for me, especially with him only being with us for a dozen games, he may spend the majority of them just getting match fit.

Hope I'm wrong though, he is a player l have always liked, scored plenty of goals before, and will score plenty in the future.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
According to wiki he signed a 3 year deal with Swansea in July 2011, so would be out of contract come the end of the season. If he does well I guess there is a decent chance he could sign for longer come January?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Gus hit the ceiling, not the club.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
According to wiki he signed a 3 year deal with Swansea in July 2011, so would be out of contract come the end of the season. If he does well I guess there is a decent chance he could sign for longer come January?

Wouldn't surprise me if Swansea mutually agreed to terminate his contract to save on his wages, if he had another club lined up..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I am not sure who I expected or hoped for but Leroy Lita didnt figure on my list but I am sure that he is an improvement on Obika.

This. He might not be a nice guy (I don't know him so can hardly judge), he might not offer much to the team, but he does have a knack of scoring goals and that will do for me.

28 now too, so should (theoretically) be more mature and at the peak of his career.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He was at least third choice on the Burke database.
Oscar was reported as turning down a striker last week from that list and we know Burke's top target was Obika.
I would love to know how Obika rated higher than Lita on that database. Perhaps a question TLO can ask DB.

It may have been that we moved up on Lita's list with Ulloa's injury assuring him game time? Better bargaining power?

The order of the list probably changes with different circumastances being a major factor, and it is always fuid.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It may have been that we moved up on Lita's list with Ulloa's injury assuring him game time? Better bargaining power?

The order of the list probably changes with different circumastances being a major factor, and it is always fuid.

Very possible, but I would like to know and hope TLO does cover the subject in his show.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'd imagine once Ulloa AND Obika got injured the list got ripped up and completely rewritten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here