Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Road 'car and pedestrian sharing' - does it work?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Blimey, that's quite a radical transport manifesto! I love the shared space in New Road and would certainly like to see a few more like it. I'd like to see trams back too, but I can't see that happening for the foreseeable future.

If you want more radical than that, read Anthony Seldon's book on the Past, Present and Future of Brighton & Hove.

He suggests - like Brovion - a giant Park & Ride outside the city, but tied in with a Parkway Station. He also suggests building short piers and jetties along the seafront to form a Water Taxi service which runs from the Marina in the east to Shoreham Airport in the west, including having a Water Taxi station next to the airport on the River Adur.

He has the idea of re-introducing the tram system, with an even greater network than the buses now, including a sub-terranean station under the existing Brighton Station.

Expense notwithstanding, his winning idea for me is to send all seafront traffic underground beneath the existing road, in order for there to be an open space where the road is now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

How do visitors who have a lot of luggage, or who are infirm or elderly get to stay with friends who live in Brighton? Will the tram system cope with every street?

What about people who live in the city who are taking items or shopping to other friends in the city? For instance, I've got to take the REMF Golf boards to Woodingdean Gull. How will I do that?

How do visitors who have a lot of luggage, or who are infirm or elderly get to stay with friends who live in Brighton? Will the tram system cope with every street?

Taxi, presumably.

What about people who live in the city who are taking items or shopping to other friends in the city? For instance, I've got to take the REMF Golf boards to Woodingdean Gull. How will I do that?

Well from what I could tell of Brovian's plan, you would still be able to drive over to see WG, parking would be the issue. If you are just dropping things off then that's not a problem :thumbsup:

This kind of change would have to happen nationally, not just in one city. The problem we have at the moment is the expectation to be able to drive from door-to-door. If, in order to get into the centre of ANY major UK city, you were forced to use park-and-rides of one variety of another then people would adjust their habits and expectations accordingly.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You can still drive, you live in the suburbs! Shopping can be delivered and yes, we need a good public transport system. As Gwylan says we need to have an attitude change.

The alternative is to provide adeqate city-centre parking for residents and visitors, but then that's where we were in the 1960s.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Taxi, presumably.

That presumes affordability.

Well from what I could tell of Brovian's plan, you would still be able to drive over to see WG, parking would be the issue. If you are just dropping things off then that's not a problem :thumbsup:

And if I'm not just 'dropping stuff off'?

This kind of change would have to happen nationally, not just in one city. The problem we have at the moment is the expectation to be able to drive from door-to-door. If, in order to get into the centre of ANY major UK city, you were forced to use park-and-rides of one variety of another then people would adjust their habits and expectations accordingly.

It's this kind of thinking that Brighton & Hove City Council are trying to implement. However, they are doing so without a satisfactory Park & Ride system.

The issue is not so much for the residents of Brighton. Most have cottoned on to it. The issue is with visitors to the city who have the attitude to cars that you refer to, and will drive in anyway.

You see the major queues along London Road/Viaduct Road/Grand Parade coming into Brighton on a hot, sunny Saturday. Two people posing in their giant Chelsea tractor looking like utter chumps while they waste their day fuming in a city centre traffic jam. Why not take the sodding train - you can even have a nice cold beer or two on the seafront (now that's a decent way to spend your sunny afternoon in Brighton)?

The rest of us know to walk or take the bus.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You can still drive, you live in the suburbs! Shopping can be delivered and yes, we need a good public transport system. As Gwylan says we need to have an attitude change.

The alternative is to provide adeqate city-centre parking for residents and visitors, but then that's where we were in the 1960s.

Shopping can be delivered - but not for 24 hours. That might change one day, but not any time soon. The public transport system would have to be massively increased for people to change that attitude. 'Good' won't cut it.

Having said that you're right, we do need an attitude change, and none of this stuff could ever happen without one.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
As has laziness, which IMO is half the problem with people wanting to roll into their cars (preferably parked right outside their house), then roll out again (preferably right next to the shops they want to visit).

Too right. I live about 250m from a local convenience store. I never ever see any of my neighbours in there. In fact I hardly see any of them walking anywhere at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, the answer is simple.

149760-chair-lift-at-patriatamurree-murree-pakistan.jpg

We just need a network of urban CHAIRLIFTS to ferry people into and around the Ciy Centre. People can embark / disembark on designated rooftops and take the stairs back down to ground level. It'd be cheap, eco-friendly, efficient, and slightly dangerous (therefore EXCITING).

There is no downside to this idea. The only limits are our imagination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here