Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New public enquiry

CrabtreeBHA said:
Hope that was'nt aimed at me as my questions are genuine, if the others wanna lambast him all the time thats their problem :)

Its a similar problem to the BNP, do you ignore them and hope they go away or counteract their agruments.

Being in London we see a lot of fruitcakes or people missing "one stand from their stadium". Its best to ignore the single people on a crusade. Though, being a hypocrite I have agrued with him in the past!

:glare:

LC

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Even though I've been campaining for Falmer I have only done so on the notion that the club says its the only site and that there is no other, yes I have followed blindly like a sheep, mainly because I just want us to get a stadium...which could be a bad thing as has been stated by Southampton & Pompey who both followed ideals that their site was "the best" and they both end up going elsewhere (Pompey still pending but it counts for Southampton)

This is something I'm worried about to some extent. When the referendum was carried out, the question was about Falmer.

If the question had been about an alternative site, such as Brighton station (or the one being discussed in this thread), I think the result would have been the same.

I know someone who objects strongly to the stadium at Falmer, and they consider the referendum to be a case of manipulation of public opinion by those who had a vested interest in getting the stadium at Falmer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The referendum included Village Way South.

If we are banging as the top of the Championship and the new stadium is full up at 22,500 every Saturday, Falmer Village Way North will not be capable of expansion. (You can, if you want, kid yourself it will be).

Falmer will not allow the purchase of tickets on the day under the Planning Application. (You are meant to be able to buy them at railway ticket offices which is a good idea, but I have my doubts of whether this will actually happen?) Falmer has Park 'n Ride which would not be necessary at Pende.

Problem or opportunity, make up you own mind. The new thing that came out of the discussion was I thought that Pende could be stopped quite easily. Now, it could be delayed, but I cannot actually think up any reason why it could be stopped.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To put this all ina nutshell I would ask Lord B is it a case of we will get either FALMER or an alternative site if one is offered or suggested at the enquiry.

Would the planning application for any newly proposed site be 'just a formality' as it had been reccomended by the government i.e JP?

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
This is a fasinating thread, have read it with great interest but it is now too late for us to suggest any other sites, if Pende was that good why was it not looked at back in 1999 when the original survey took place of all potential sites for the new Stadium and Falmer came out as the best available site.

I suspect Pende was not considered because it was in WSCC, and anyway I cannot see WSCC giving planning permission even if the Club did submit a planning application !

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To reply to Crabtree:

Pende is approx. 6.4 miles as the seagull flies from Brighton Pavilion. (Falmer is 3 miles, the Goldstone was 2.2 miles, Newhaven is 8 miles, Burgess Hill is 9 miles approx.)

The site is 120 acres in the main area. If this is not enough, their is limited room for expansion.

Aerial photograph:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/NMF3a.jpg

A railway station would not be built unless passengers of 250,000 a year were expected.

A larger stadium is not only possible, but desirable. (The stadium could be refused because at 22,500 it could be considered too small.)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
perseus said:
To reply to Crabtree:

Pende is approx. 6.4 miles as the seagull flies from Brighton Pavilion.

The site is 120 acres in the main area. If this is not enough, their is limited room for expansion.

A railway station would not be built unless passengers of 250,000 a year were expected.

A larger stadium is not only possible, but desirable. (The stadium could be refused because at 22,500 it could be considered too small.)

So if my theory of the FA/FL rules are correct then this site does fall into JPs essentials and therefore could be a challenger to Falmer.

Whats to say in 15years here on NSC we have threads moaning about the fact that we cant expand Falmer and have to play Arsenal at home with 22,000 instead of the 44,000 we could've sold! (presuming we get Falmer that is)

I want to know first hand from the club why they turned down Pende in the first place & what those implications are like now (presuming they turned it down years ago).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hadlee said:
This is a fasinating thread, have read it with great interest but it is now too late for us to suggest any other sites, if Pende was that good why was it not looked at back in 1999 when the original survey took place of all potential sites for the new Stadium and Falmer came out as the best available site.

I suspect Pende was not considered because it was in WSCC, and anyway I cannot see WSCC giving planning permission even if the Club did submit a planning application !

It was. Falmer was preferred for POLITICAL reasons. Pende was not rejected (fact). It was just that the Falmer was in the Labour area controlled by Brighton Council (this is surmise).

Basically, the Albion did NOT turn down Pende. They had to choose and they were promised (surmise again) political backing for Falmer.

They could also have been misled over details (do not forget that back then Martin Perry was new to the area).

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have always believed that the distance from Brighton is so marginal that the FA would never object to any proposal within reason. i.e If I had the money and offered to build a Stadium on the A23 near the Burgess Hill turn off do you think that the FA would object, I do not think so.

Having said that we have to stick with Falmer and put ALL of our efforts into Falmer until such time as it is rejected as the club has spent so much time and money on it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
CrabtreeBHA said:
Whats to say in 15years here on NSC we have threads moaning about the fact that we cant expand Falmer and have to play Arsenal at home with 22,000 instead of the 44,000 we could've sold! (presuming we get Falmer that is)

Don't run before you can walk. I mean, what the hell is our fight all about?! We are in a situation where getting (or not) a new stadium is life or death for us - not whether it is big enough to accomodate Arsenal in a championship decider in god knows when.

I will however agree that there will be moaning on NSC from here until the end of time.

and a special :salute: to you Perseus

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Question for LB.

If, as you suggest, Pende is suggested, will that inevitably bring Adur and West Sussex councils into the process, and the whole thing will have to be adjourned to give them time to prepare their rebuttals (or whatever they decide to do)?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Adur received outline Planning Permission for building a stadium complex on Pende, I would anticipate one or more of the following things by the Council or Councillors to happen:

1) Hold two public meetings to inform the public and sound out the local views
2) Faff about and delay making a decision until the Albion (or outside developers footing the bill) would have to appeal (after six months or so) on the grounds of no decision
3) Consult with the relevant Planning Officers and highway authorities to see if there were any grounds for turning down the Planning Application, and negotiating a Planning Gain* (instead of going to a Public Inquiry). (* e.g. an area of public open space and a Sustrans link between Lancing and Shoreham and a contribution towards the Tollbridge repairs. )

The only process will take about a year at the minimum (with public support). Without public support, it is not worth the bother.

The prognosis for Falmer is:

Public Inquiry addenda ends February 2005
General Election May 2005
Result of the Public Inquiry July 2005
Judical Review Application August 2005
Judical Review grounds rejected September 2005
Building commences January 2006
Completion July 2007

First season 2007-8

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
CrabtreeBHA said:

I want to know first hand from the club why they turned down Pende in the first place & what those implications are like now (presuming they turned it down years ago).

FOR f*** SAKE

YOU HAVE FALLEN HEADLONG INTO ANDY HORTON ( WHO IS A MARINE BIOLOGIST BTW) LITTLE FANTASY.

IF FALMER IS REJECTED BECAUSE SOME NIMBY ORGANISATION PRESENTS PENDE AS A VIABLE SOLUTION AND THE ALBION ARE ASKED TO FUND ANOTHER INVESTIGATION INTO THIS SITE AND THAT PUTS PAID TO ANY FURTHER MONEY BEING AVAILABLE THEN GREAT

I DESPAIR SOMETIMES

HAVE PEOPLE FORGOT THAT BRIGHTON AND HOVE COUNCIL IDENTIFIED FALMER...THEY f***ing WELL ADDED IT TO THE LOCAL PLAN...THEY f***ing WELL GAVE US THE LAND FOR NOTHING...THEY f***ing WELL GAVE US PLANNING PERMISSION TO BUILD A STADIUM ON THE f***ing SITE

I BET TOM CARR IS LAUGHING IN HIS f***ing HORLICKS AT HOW STUPID WE ARE ALL BEING OVER THIS f***ing PENDE CRAP.

WE SHOULD ALL BE BACKING OUR CLUB AT THIS TIME ITS FALMER NOT f***ing PENDE

GET A f***ing GRIP

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dave the gaffer said:
FOR f*** SAKE

YOU HAVE FALLEN HEADLONG INTO ANDY HORTON ( WHO IS A MARINE BIOLOGIST BTW) LITTLE FANTASY.

IF FALMER IS REJECTED BECAUSE SOME NIMBY ORGANISATION PRESENTS PENDE AS A VIABLE SOLUTION AND THE ALBION ARE ASKED TO FUND ANOTHER INVESTIGATION INTO THIS SITE AND THAT PUTS PAID TO ANY FURTHER MONEY BEING AVAILABLE THEN GREAT

I DESPAIR SOMETIMES

HAVE PEOPLE FORGOT THAT BRIGHTON AND HOVE COUNCIL IDENTIFIED FALMER...THEY f***ing WELL ADDED IT TO THE LOCAL PLAN...THEY f***ing WELL GAVE US THE LAND FOR NOTHING...THEY f***ing WELL GAVE US PLANNING PERMISSION TO BUILD A STADIUM ON THE f***ing SITE

I BET TOM CARR IS LAUGHING IN HIS f***ing HORLICKS AT HOW STUPID WE ARE ALL BEING OVER THIS f***ing PENDE CRAP.

GET A f***ing GRIP

:eek:
As soon as I saw your name as the last poster I thought I'd best take cover before opening it :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Dave, I asked a legitimate question that I want to know the answer too....It certainly did'nt warrant a response like yours.

CrabtreeBHA said:
Dave, I asked a legitimate question that I want to know the answer too....It certainly did'nt warrant a response like yours.

dave the gaffer said:
FOR f*** SAKE

I DESPAIR SOMETIMES

GET A f***ing GRIP

And your point is?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :D :ohmy: :angry: :lolol: :lolol: :lol: :ohmy:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
There is a simple reason why Pende wasn't considered as a site :

because Dick Knight made a promise to the fans that he would not take the club out of Brighton & Hove.

Pende is NOT in Brighton or Hove, it's in Lancing.

The club is called Brighton & Hove Albion, therefore the only acceptable sites for a ground are to be situated within either Brighton, or Hove. All the sites looked at by the club, & the council, had this basic premise.

Perseus says this is a ' political ' reason. No, it's got nothing to do with politics, it's about making sure the club remains within the community which it forms part of, Brighton, & Hove, not become part of some ' out of town ' sports / recreational development.

Falmer PC have argued that Football is an ' urban ' sport ( clearly this is complete nonsense when you consider that just about every village in the country has a football club of some size or description ), but by their own reasoning, Pende, which is pretty much a rural area forming the green gap between Shoreham & Lancing, fails for exactly the same reasons as Falmer, i.e. the destruction of the ' green belt ' gap between two communities.

If Pende was such a wonderful site, why has there been no development yet on the site ?

Because it lies on a FLOOD PLAIN. Any development on flood plains will have a negative impact - ask Shrewsbury Town what it's like having Gay Meadow flooded by the River Severn ( which happens on a regular basis ) ? It's why Shoreham Airport has never seen ( nor is ever likely to see ) the kind of development at other regional airports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here