Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New public enquiry

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is hardly rocket science. If the South Downs lobby had not invented a series of falacious arguments over Falmer, and if Brighton Council had not gone along with the Countryside Commission (or whatever it is called) over the arbitary AONB boundary, the stadium could have been built at Village Way South.

I wouldn't worry too much (if you are the worrying type). The A27 at Lancing is more congested than the comparative road at Falmer (by about 12% to 20% at a guess: I could not obtain the comparative figures). A railway station will not get built unless there are quarter of million passengers a year. Say gates at 18,000 x 24 games = 432,000 x 40% (maximum train supporters) = 172,800. So they will not build a railway station for a stadium on its own.

I am in the business of deceving anybody. Certain facts cannot be glossed over. At the present juncture, Falmer has better road arrangements. It already has a train station.

Tha advantage of Pende, is that it is bigger, there would be no need for park 'n ride, there could be room for pay-at-the gate, and the accountants could cost account whether or not it was better value for money.

If the downs lobby were not so instrangient, Village Way South could have been turned into a landscaped area and it could be much better.

Unlike a certain Planning Inspector, I am not mad enough to think that Sheepcote (public open land) could accomodate the extra traffic without spoiling the quality of life for local people.

If anybody has a notion, that any of the other sites could comply with the transport requirements and the other criteria, they are either deluding themselves, making up the figures or a genius.

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
town8.html
[/IMG]

This is what happens to pitches in flood plains.

This is why we're moving to a new stadium...

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Staly, I see that the council have agreed to allow development on the Meadow meaning you can move to a new stadium. How long did it take to get that sorted? Think it was 8 years wasn't it?

How long until the new ground is built? Seems a pity to lose such an atmospheric ground as the Meadow, think it's one of my favourite away grounds. I guess the poor facilities outweigh any nostalgia though. Will the New Meadow look like another Sixfields/Deva/4 equal sized stands around the pitch job?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
southwickseagull said:
Is this bloke an idiot or what! All His arguements are ridiculous. A lake now at Pende, why not a swimming pool instead (there's plenty of water). Relocate Lancing FC and Sussex FA HQ, They'll be r eally pleased.

Does anybody know the current position on Lancing Football Club redevelopment? The stand is falling down and due to be replaced. The Sussex FA offices are in a dilapidated state. Which just leaves the pitch and concrete surrounding wall (which might get blown down in a strong wind). There is nothing left worth saving.

http://www.nomad-online.co.uk/html/lancing.html

It is a town centre site with the land probably worth in the region of £3 million. How much does a state of the art County League ground cost to build? (with an athletics track around the edge).

Would the Sussex FA like to be based at a prestigious ground? (Could they go to Falmer?).

The Shropshire FA are (or were) based at Gay Meadow.

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ex- Shelton.

Yes it was years and years. The last remaining problem was that the Gay Meadow site has a covenant on it restricting it to sporting use so that we couldn't sell it for housing. That has now been removed after loads of prevarication from the Council meaning that we can now go ahead. Couple of years I think.

Be a pity to leave the Meadow, especially if we get one of those souless modern stadiums (eg kidderminster), but you can't stay somewhere that flooods every year leaving you with 5 games in hand at the end of a season that you never win...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Staly said:
Ex- Shelton.

Yes it was years and years. The last remaining problem was that the Gay Meadow site has a covenant on it restricting it to sporting use so that we couldn't sell it for housing. That has now been removed after loads of prevarication from the Council meaning that we can now go ahead. Couple of years I think.

Be a pity to leave the Meadow, especially if we get one of those souless modern stadiums (eg kidderminster), but you can't stay somewhere that flooods every year leaving you with 5 games in hand at the end of a season that you never win...

Are the houses going to be on stilts?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why not give us Falmer and let Sussex County FA move to Withdean.

As far as I can recall I think that they are the only FA to have offices at a ground most have their offices away from football clubs.

I give up. Dave the gaffer has got it right.

The more Percy says, the more he demonstrates that any planning application for a stadium at Pende would be a long drawn out business, taking years before all the issues could be resolved. In the meantime, the Albion would be thrown out of Withdean and go bust.

That might please the Falmer NIMBYs. It would probably please Percy, whose ONLY agenda is himself and his potty, obsessive idea.

But it sure as hell wouldn''t please any Albion supporters.

If and when Falmer Parish Council come forward with Pende as their preferred alternative site, the treachery of Andy Horton will be exposed for what it is.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Shrews Plan.

The plan might be on a little bit dodgy ground ???

In the book "Muck 'n Brass" that was a basis for the TV series in the early eighties, the devious developer managed to get Planning Permission for a piece of land that was actually underwater which he used as collaterel to borrow money which his other schemes were meant to be coming to fruition. This was found out by an investigative journalist. The plan was to keep her quiet long enough so it did not matter any more.

In football terms, I think the upshot is that the clubs borrow money not at the value of the ground as a going concern, but at the value of the ground if Planning Permission is given for redevelopment.

In the Albion terms, I would not have been surprised if some of the difficulties arose because a loan was secured on the value of the Goldstone in the late seventies and then with the property recession the value of the land fell in the early eighties, and the bankers got concerned. I have no way of knowing this.

This was under the "boom and bust" Tory economics. When Archer was in control, he was worried that the same "boom and bust" would apply to the Goldstone site (and that Planning Permission runs out after five years or so), and instead of doing the sensible thing and holding on to the Goldstone site as property values increased they panicked and sold out. Gross mismanagement. Not hindsight because it was pointed out to him, but he was too arrogant to take any notice.

In short, if I was a Shrewsbury supporter, I would watch out what your Directors are up to. You want to keep hold of your current ground until the building contracts and finance is settled for a new ground ??? Could you end up like Wrexham?

Last edited:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Whilst the Directors of our club have a poor track record of appointing managers (and not sacking managers in time), they are responsible for keeping the club going financially. One thing we can be reasonably sure about is that they are not asset strippers.

The timelines for sale of the old ground/ building the new one seem to be properly worked out...

That article's a bit out of date- obviously we're back in the League now, and the "last obstacles" have been overcome.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here