Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New public enquiry

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Finally, someone with a certifiable response, thanks 34064 Fighter Command :clap:

albeit not direct from the club but it'll do me...for now :)

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
34064 Fighter Command said:
There is a simple reason why Pende wasn't considered as a site :

because Dick Knight made a promise to the fans that he would not take the club out of Brighton & Hove.

Pende is NOT in Brighton or Hove, it's in Lancing.

The club is called Brighton & Hove Albion, therefore the only acceptable sites for a ground are to be situated within either Brighton, or Hove. All the sites looked at by the club, & the council, had this basic premise.

Perseus says this is a ' political ' reason. No, it's got nothing to do with politics, it's about making sure the club remains within the community which it forms part of, Brighton, & Hove, not become part of some ' out of town ' sports / recreational development.

Falmer PC have argued that Football is an ' urban ' sport ( clearly this is complete nonsense when you consider that just about every village in the country has a football club of some size or description ), but by their own reasoning, Pende, which is pretty much a rural area forming the green gap between Shoreham & Lancing, fails for exactly the same reasons as Falmer, i.e. the destruction of the ' green belt ' gap between two communities.

If Pende was such a wonderful site, why has there been no development yet on the site ?

Because it lies on a FLOOD PLAIN. Any development on flood plains will have a negative impact - ask Shrewsbury Town what it's like having Gay Meadow flooded by the River Severn ( which happens on a regular basis ) ? It's why Shoreham Airport has never seen ( nor is ever likely to see ) the kind of development at other regional airports.

And does anyone on here seriously think we would get planning permission from WSCC even if we wanted it ?

And also there is no Railway station nearby !

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Don't West Sussex County Council oppose Falmer, even though it's nothing to do with them?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its worth keeping in mind that in order for any alternative site to be considered, it has to be proved to be superior to Falmer. Not just "possibly viable", but superior. The fact that Pende has no railway station nearby ALREADY makes it patently inferior to Falmer, before you even start to consider all the other complications in building a stadium there.

If the NIMBYS stand up and say "Pende", then the Albions lawyer can just stand up and say "no rail link", and thats the end of that thankyouverymuch.

Next.

34064 Fighter Command said:
Because it lies on a FLOOD PLAIN. Any development on flood plains will have a negative impact - ask Shrewsbury Town what it's like having Gay Meadow flooded by the River Severn ( which happens on a regular basis ) ? It's why Shoreham Airport has never seen ( nor is ever likely to see ) the kind of development at other regional airports.

Some years ago during the Gillingham years, myself and two others had an in depth converstaion with Barry Lloyd at Woodside Road. He mentioned the regime of his times plans for the development of Beeding cement works and how things were getting to an advanced stage until Archer sabataged the plans. He also mentioned that the so called "Pende" site had been looked at. He said EXACTLY the same thing: That this site (or should it be sight?) was prone to flooding and was therefore a non starter.

I have a mental image of Percy with his mop and bucket frantically trying to dry out the pitch at pende!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have a mental image of Percy being set upon by a rabid group of NIMBY's when they realise he has been leading them on with the biggest con since Archer tried to change the Articles of Association

Zeitgeist said:
Some years ago during the Gillingham years, myself and two others had an in depth converstaion with Barry Lloyd at Woodside Road. He mentioned the regime of his times plans for the development of Beeding cement works and how things were getting to an advanced stage until Archer sabataged the plans. He also mentioned that the so called "Pende" sight had been looked at. He said EXACTLY the same thing: That this site (or should it be sight?) was prone to flooding and was therefore a non starter.

I have a mental image of Percy with his mop and bucket frantically trying to dry out the pitch at pende!

Even if we could build there.

No insurance company would support it!

You can see the headlines.

"Brighton's Pende arena becomes duck pond as tidal waters washes the Perseus stand away"

LC

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Waterworld II is scheduled to start shooting there in the Spring. I saw Kevin Costner in the Red Lion on Sunday. He told me.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bit of a red herring, tho'.

Look at the "Learn more" bit.

"The location you have selected is in an area that has a moderate chance of flooding. The chance of flooding each year is 1.3% (1 in 75) or less, but greater than 0.5% (1 in 200)."

So it might flood once or twice in the lifetime of a stadium. Not a big risk.

.... but why am I continuing this thread? Let's let it drop shall we?

FALMER or BUST is the only choice, I'm afraid.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That plus most of the stuff posted by Perseus on page 6 was pure crap. He just sits there at his computer, having fantasies about forming relationships with lesser-spotted halibuts - then comes on here and writes the first thing he thinks of, whether it makes sense or not.

:angry: :angry: :censored: :angry: :angry:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So Archer could not build a supermarket at Pende. What's that gotta do with football?

Opportunity or problem?

The plan would be to drain the surplus water of into a pond (like a larger version of Brooklands in Worthing). This would be the community plan giving the public a landscaped open space and community area. This is the Planning Gain to get public support to avoid the need for a Public Inquiry. The mighty River Adur is not quite so prone to flooding as the piddly River Severn.

This is design is to set the prestige stadium in a Country Park area along the lines of top class international venues like Munich.
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende.htm

Instead of a Public Inquiry, I would anticipate Adur Council would go for a Scrutiny Committee meeting.

Addenda:

Adur Council will refuse Planning Permission for a new airport runway and they will succeed in stopping it if the proponents appealed. Brighton & Hove Council have a report on the future of Shoreham Airport that excludes the possibility of an extended runway. There is not enough space to comply with safety regulations and to cater for the aircraft needed to justify the huge cost. There is no way around this.

Moving out of Withdean. The Pende plan envisages relocation of Lancing Football Club (and Sussex FA HQ). This would be the shared reserve ground and training and athletics arena which could conceivably be constructed before a major stadium. The major part of the cost of this is envisaged to be recouped by selling the current town centre site for Lancing club and offices for housing. This I would have thought was a good idea before the stand falls down completely of its own accord. This would be better than Withdean. Temporary seating could be installed in the period before the construction of the stadium proper. I wouldn't mind if they rearranged one of the piles of earth into a huge chicken run, but I expect this would not go down so well nowadays.

Advantages:

Local advantages include employment opportunities, creation of a dedicated open space instead of a benign trespass area, and a Sustrans link (yellow lines on the map) between Lancing and Shoreham, which on match days would be a dedicated priority bus route to encourage (not compel) people to attend the games by public transport. There would be no park and ride, because an area of public open space would be used for parking on match days. (There will, of course, be the usual snarl up as the cars try to get out.)

The Albion advantages would be a bigger stadium (needed to justify the railway station), and the ancillary development which would offshot the cost of the stadium, so it will not cost a penny extra than the sporting and other grants (well that is the plan). Also, Albion will get the car parking income.
It would cheaper, bigger and better.

With access roads running at £2million+ a kilometre, should not be sneezed at the cost, but we would have to pay for the new junctions at Falmer and dump some money towards Brighton University. The accountants can cost account and compare.

PS: The Stategic Gap concept is not worth a wank, not underpinned by legislation and everybody knows it.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
The man is completely f***ing mad.

FFS, mods, ban him.

I do not agree with him that Pende is the best available site but it sounds as if you are losing it. If all else fails and you do not have an arguement insult writer personally.

Oh FFS!!! :thud: :thud: :thud: Yep, Percy that's a blinder. Open the sluice gates 2 hours before every home game. That should dry things out eh? :rolleyes: You really are barmy!

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Is this bloke an idiot or what! All His arguements are ridiculous. A lake now at Pende, why not a swimming pool instead (there's plenty of water). Relocate Lancing FC and Sussex FA HQ, They'll be r eally pleased.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
If all else fails and you do not have an arguement insult writer personally.

But he has got an argument. He's laid it out clearly over the past god knows how many posts. It's just that perseus isn't interested in discussing it. He just keeps churning out pre-prepared drivel over and over again.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here