Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New public enquiry

D

Deleted User X18H

But consider this what if we were still at Gillingham and B&H council stated theAlbion could re-develope Withdean into a Stadium then put us into a postion we are in now Nimbys flawed
as we are there now and have been there some time it is possilbe to re-develope Withdean in to a stadium in stages it is a large enough area and has adequate transport links (if the buses turn up as supposed too) it could be a 20000 seater without to much difficulty and am sure the could relax restructions.

perseus said:
No and they, Falmer Parish Council, won't. (To do so would be to admit that the Albion needed a new stadium.)
Amongst all of the ignorant bollox that perseus has posted about the Public Inquiry, this particular statement is possibly the most stupid thing he has ever said.

The whole thrust of Falmer Parish Council's position is that they ARE pressing for an alternative site. They DO admit that the Albion need a permanent stadium.

Unlike perseus, Falmer PC have followed the Public Inquiry closely. They will know that Sheepcote Valley will not be in their interests (because of traffic impact on Falmer village). They reject Waterhall and Toads Hole Valley (because they oppose a stadium in the AONB). They know that Shoreham Harbour is unaffordable and undevelopable, that Corals is too small and that Brighton Station isn't available. They know that Withdean will be bitterly opposed by NIMBYs like themselves.

All of which will leave them desperate to identify another site to put up at the resumed Public Inquiry.

I am almost certain that - thanks to perseus and his single handed promotion of his ridiculous idea, not just on NSC, but elsewhere - it will be Pende.

As dave the gaffer says, with typical understatement, people will be very cross indeed. Particularly since the Club will now have to spend a fortune on consultants' time preparing a case to rebut this idiotic proposal that will NOT deliver a secure future for the Football Club.

:salute:

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hove, Born and Bred.

That is what the Falmer NIMBYs are going to suggest.

To do otherwise, would admit that Albion need a new stadium and undermine their argument. Or their small minds cannot see any further than that.

Generally, The councillors will go along with the planning zones and rules. There is no way that anybody can pretend that Shoreham Harbour or Beeding Cement Works or Sheepcote Valley (despite the Inspector) could actually work. It is a fact of geography and transport routes they cannot.

They cannot pretend that a 20,000 stadium could be built at Withdean. There was enough fuss over 2,000 extra seats. The only thing that they can do is persuade the Inspector/Prescott that we do not need the proper stadium.

When I first got keen on watching the Albion in 1971, we thought that 35,000 capacity at the Goldstone was too small in the old Division 3.

perseus said:
Hove, Born and Bred.

That is what the Falmer NIMBYs are going to suggest.

To do otherwise, would admit that Albion need a new stadium and undermine their argument. Or their small minds cannot see any further than that.
perseus ... you were wrong yesterday when you said that.

You're still wrong.

See my earlier post.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lord Bracknell, I would not rest on your laurels and not expect the Falmer NIMBYs not to propose Withdean as their alternative. They would not be capable of anything else, and I am not sure they would be capable of that either.

To be on the safe side, I would tend to make sure knew exactly what the catchment area (Brighton, Hove, Portslade, Adur, Lewes, Worthing) of the Albion is and the past attendances. I do not think this came across strongly enought at the Public Inquiry. This may be because it was understated because of possible traffic congestion?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Fact is that Pende is outside the conurbation that is Brighton & Hove - it's in another county, another planning district and (importantly) the wrong side of the river Adur (which is crossed by only 2 roads and a railway south of the Downs)

That means it falls foul of the first condition laid down by Prescott. Otherwise what's to stop any NIMBY naming any empty piece of land anywhere in East or West Sussex?

If it's suggested, I would hope that the Albion's rebuttal will be the straightforward 'too far away'. End of.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Can I just add the following to all of this Pende-ing?

Percy-SHUT THE f*** UP!

*message ends*

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spiros said:
)

That means it falls foul of the first condition laid down by Prescott. Otherwise what's to stop any NIMBY naming any empty piece of land anywhere in East or West Sussex?

If it's suggested, I would hope that the Albion's rebuttal will be the straightforward 'too far away'. End of.

I asked this earlier and Lord B said it is highly unlikely that anybody would suggest as I had ridiculously, on the A27 somewhere between Newhaven and Eastbourne

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What has catchment area or past attendances got to do with it? It's called Brighton & Hove Albion. Prescott wants the stadium to be in Brighton & Hove. You're putting your own agenda in again. I recall you suggested that the Albion should apply for a 15,000 seater stadium, or that this is what Prescott would suggest.

We are winning the Falmer argument, and all you can do is undermine it. I echo dave the gaffer - who the f*** do you think you are going off at a spurious and dangerous tangent just to suit your own pathetic ego?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
hove born&bred said:
it is possilbe to re-develope Withdean in to a stadium in stages it is a large enough area and has adequate transport links (if the buses turn up as supposed too) it could be a 20000 seater without to much difficulty and am sure the could relax restructions.
Are you mad ?
How on EARTH can you consider Withdean to be "a large enough area" ? We have a pathetic North Stand which goes a grand total of seven, yes SEVEN rows back before it meets the back of The Sportsman, and the South Stand is hemmed in by a nature reserve - in fact, the trees actually overhang the seats at the back. How exactly do you propose to shoe-horn in a main stand capable of housing the clubs offices, executive boxes, hospitality suites and other peripheral needs such as a car park ? Or are we just sticking with portacabins scattered here and there ?

Thats before we even START on the transport links. Park and Ride for 20,000 ? We can't even get Park & Ride for an extra 2,000 seats. In case you hadn't noticed, the A23 gets absolutely CLOGGED with traffic on Saturdays, it often stacks right back to the roundabout by the Q8. And you reckon we can chuck a 20,000 seater stadium down there ?

I genuinly hope the NIMBY lawyer has as firm as grasp on how "workable" Withdean is in the long term as you have.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HB&B

The main over riding issue about Withdean is the bridge. The analysis performed showed that the maximum flow of people in an allowed time scale, ei enough to clear a stadium is approximately 8000 in the minimum and 10k in the maximum. There are government figures.

To build at Withdean, which is a physical impossiblity anyway, you would need to widen the bridge, which would involve huge cost and disruption to a main commuter route.

Its a no goer..full stop

Horton is shit stirring in the extreme here and the more he bangs on about Pende and makes it look like he has a sensible case, the worse it looks to us IMHO

perseus said:
Lord Bracknell, I would not rest on your laurels and not expect the Falmer NIMBYs not to propose Withdean as their alternative. They would not be capable of anything else, and I am not sure they would be capable of that either.

To be on the safe side, I would tend to make sure knew exactly what the catchment area (Brighton, Hove, Portslade, Adur, Lewes, Worthing) of the Albion is and the past attendances. I do not think this came across strongly enought at the Public Inquiry. This may be because it was understated because of possible traffic congestion?
Perseus ... You're lapsing into incoherent drivel now.

You may not think that the catchment area issue came across strongly enough at the first Public Inquiry. Were you there? In particular were you there on the many days that this issue was discussed in very great detail?

Falmer Parish Council have already put their case for Withdean - it was based on an assertion that a 22,000 seater stadium wasn't needed. Even they are sensible enough to know that Prescott has specified that the resumed Inquiry is intended to consider only those sites that can accommodate 22,000.

If Falmer PC say that you can't get 22,000 at Withdean, that's good enough for me. And that's why I know that they will be looking for somewhere else to put forward.

As I said above, I have a very nasty feeling it will be Pende. If that happens, I'm sure I won't be the only Albion fan who will blame you personally for the fact that the Albion will have to spend a lot of money demonstrating that Pende will not deliver a future home for the Club.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
money that could be spent on players!

And money that myself and thousands of albion fans have paid to save the club.

I think it about time you just f***ed right off Horton

Last edited:

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
Incidentally I am pretty certain Falmer will use Pende at the enquiry. I've also heard they will present the case for another one or two sites that none of us have even thought about.

Anyway - Pende. Personally can't see why everyone is so against it. Easily accesible, cheap, more open to development. And it would be given planning permission easily.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
jonogulls said:
Incidentally I am pretty certain Falmer will use Pende at the enquiry. I've also heard they will present the case for another one or two sites that none of us have even thought about.

Anyway - Pende. Personally can't see why everyone is so against it. Easily accesible, cheap, more open to development. And it would be given planning permission easily.

Wrong town. Wrong county. Unwanted. Land required for an extended runway for a Brighton City Airport. :)

Oh yes, and we're going to Falmer.

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
The Large One said:
Wrong town. Wrong county. Unwanted. Land required for an extended runway for a Brighton City Airport. :)

Oh yes, and we're going to Falmer.

Oh, minor details!

Yes I want Falmer as much as the rest of you. But all perseus has done, in a misguided naive kind of way, is argue for another site that he thinks is better and that we could use if we don't get Falmer.

He's hardly got much influence has he?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
jonogulls said:
Oh, minor details!

Yes I want Falmer as much as the rest of you. But all perseus has done, in a misguided naive kind of way, is argue for another site that he thinks is better and that we could use if we don't get Falmer.

He's hardly got much influence has he?
Don't tell him that - it will crush him.

We'll find out how much his stupid festering trap has got us into grief at the Public Inquiry if and when Falmer PC start yabbering on about Pende. Even if the Albion can quite easily swot the suggestion of Pende away, it has meant that we have had to spend time and resources on doing so; time and resources which could have been put to better use elsewhere if Percy had not started blabbing in order to make himself feel important. Wanker.

No-one else has ever heard of Pende before - let alone suggested it as part of a hair-brained scheme.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Re Pende

Cheers for Your answer BG. So Pende is on the A27 in Lancing eh? Just great, build Our stadium there and what happens? We turn up at 2-00 on a saturday and find its been sold for scrap by the pikeys. Anyway arnt Adur DC building a golf course there?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Adur DC have given Planning Permission to dump hundreds, if not thousands of lorry loads of spoil on Pende. The Planning Permission is ostensibly for a golf course. This is just a ruse, or an excuse, so that they can get tax exemption on the dumping.

When they have finished the allowed dumping they are faced with the prospect of running an unprofitable golf course.

The edge is the land has to be used for sporting uses of some kind. So the way I see it, that could quite conceivably construct football pitches, stadia, cricket pitches, stadia, athletic tracks, stadia, and still have room left over for a public open space.

Sooner rather than later, somebody has got to decide what they are really going to do with the land?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here