Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nani, Gomes and THAT Goal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What, and you think the bit about him admitting he should've made it clearer to Gomes is fabricated as well?

Come on Easy...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The goal was Gomes' fault, unquestionably, and having made his first decision, the ref is right not to overule it to counter Gomes' f***-up.

Unfortunately we all know for a FACT that had the same thing happened at the other end, the goal would NOT have stood. Please don't bother arguing with this - you know it is true.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit of a pointless thing to make up innit?

Its assumptive journalism. There's no direct quote whatsoever from Clattenburg, it just suits the ref-bashing tone of the article to imply that he's going round acknowledging he mucked it up.

Personally, as a rule of thumb, once an article says someone "has told friends" or "has said in private", then I pretty much take it for granted that the rest of whats been written has been made up by the journalist to suit the agenda.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a bit of a stretch to invent the entire "played advantage" aspect of the story though, as that really does change everything.

Do you agree then that IF Clatterburg had indeed "played advantage", he is at least partially to blame?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What, and you think the bit about him admitting he should've made it clearer to Gomes is fabricated as well?

Come on Easy...

How else could he have made it clearer ? What else could he have done. Written him a letter ? Charades ? Semaphore ? A powerpoint presentation ? Express his decision to Gomes through the medium of dance ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How else could he have made it clearer ? What else could he have done. Written him a letter ? Charades ? Semaphore ? A powerpoint presentation ? Express his decision to Gomes through the medium of dance ?

I think he tried semaphore, or charades, there's a shot of the pitch from behind Man U's goal where you see Gomes put the ball down and Clattenberg makes plenty of arm movements indicating that the ball is in play.

He has a pencil and pad, perhaps he could have tried pictionary...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a bit of a stretch to invent the entire "played advantage" aspect of the story though, as that really does change everything.

Do you agree then that IF Clatterburg had indeed "played advantage", he is at least partially to blame?

Yes. If Clatternburg came out and said "I played advantage", then he would have been in the wrong because (a) he never once indicated he was playing an advantage, and (b) if he HAD played advantage, then he could clearly have ruled the goal out and called it back.

When a ref plays an advantage, its so it doesn't spoil a promising attacking move for the fouled team. There IS no advantage to play when that team is in its own penalty box. Hence why I think this whole "advtange" argument is an irrelevence - because Clattenburg didn't play advantage, he simply said "just play on". There IS a difference.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Errr...the old "I'm playing advantage" signal?

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
*sigh*

He didn't play an advantage, he just said "play on".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
According to Graham Poll, Clattenburg shouted "play on", which you can ONLY do if no offence has been committed.

Still Clattenburg's fault for creating the confusion in the first place. Gomes capitalised on that confusion by acting like a thicket.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This moment in a football match needed a clear and obvious decision from the ref.

Apparently he just said "play on" (didn't shout, as it would've been noticed) from about 40 yards away. Brilliant. Really took hold of that one.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
This moment in a football match needed a clear and obvious decision from the ref.

Apparently he just said "play on" (didn't shout, as it would've been noticed) from about 40 yards away. Brilliant. Really took hold of that one.

No whistle! Not hard to understand, it could be the most obvious foul/ offence ever commited, but if the ref doesn't blow his whistle you have to keep playing. I learnt this when I was about 5.

Harry Redknapp has let himself down big time. His players should take the full blame!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The ref had acknowledged the original infringement (handball) already though, and just decided to let play go on as Gomes already had the ball. Between Gomes putting the ball down and Nani putting it in the net, there WERN'T any further infringements to make a call on, so what could he have disallowed the goal for ?

He could've made a "spirit of the game" call I suppose, changed his mind and retrospectively given the free kick for the handball after all, once Gomes had made such a hash of things. But thats not within the rules, so you'd have had Fergie going pink at the gills for disallowing it.

Refs just can't win sometimes.

Its just fortunate that this wasn't a result-changing goal and was at the fag-end of the game, otherwise either 'arry or Fergie would've had the ref hauled over the coals depending on his decision and who it favoured.

Don't quite follow. In some posts you say he didn't play advantage and in this one you say he said play on. A deliberate hand ball had taken place which he had seen and is therefore a free kick. If he is saying play on it is the same as advantage, irrespective of whether he gives the correct 'advantage' signal with his arms.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite. Either way it was far too vague for the situation and created a situation where there shouldn't have been one.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Don't quite follow. In some posts you say he didn't play advantage and in this one you say he said play on. A deliberate hand ball had taken place which he had seen and is therefore a free kick. If he is saying play on it is the same as advantage, irrespective of whether he gives the correct 'advantage' signal with his arms.

Who cares, he didn't blow his f***ing whistle!!! Not hard. These players are paid thousands upon thousands of pounds, they should know that if the ref doesn't blow his whistle then play on!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

There is a difference between playing an advantage and just saying "play on" to keep the flow of the game going. As mentioned earlier, playing an advantage is done so as not to stop a promising break or move from the attacking team, thats why the ref always clearly indicates the decision by continuing to run along with play, arms outstretched in front of him and pointing forwards.

By its very nature, there simply IS no advantage to award when a team is back in its own penalty area, and the ball is at the keepers feet. And he never signalled that he'd awarded an advantage, he was just telling Gomes to get on with it, play on, no need for a free kick.

Playing on is not the same as an advantage though, because unlike playing advantage, he can't call it back if it immediately goes wrong for the fouled team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Like I said, the situation was very confusing

(clear handball/was there an advantage?/was it a free kick?/why not yellow card for nani?/and about 5 other things)

and NEEDED a clear decision from the ref, so everyone understood what was going on.

None was forthcoming. CHAOS ensued.

It's actually IMO a real pity that Gomes messed this up so badly. No-one likes a stop-start game, and no-one likes players diving around dramatically and throwing tantrums. If Man Utd had got caught with Nani out of position because he'd thrown himself over and the ref had allowed play to continue (effectively ruling him out of that phase of play) then it just might have discouraged players from diving quite so readily in the future. As it is now instead we will go the other way, and refs will have to blow up at every single infringement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here