Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nani, Gomes and THAT Goal

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
How many times do you see in all levels of football games, a clear and obvious foul / infringement happen, and the Ref does NOT blow his whistle, its happened loads of times, and will continue to happen, then the free kick is taken and play just carries on, it happens everyday.
In my opinion Nani is a poor sportsman for doing what he did, he knew he handled the ball, then he carried on and cheated.
Of course all players should play to the whistle, thats the rules, but being a good sportsman is also important in my opinion.
I would like to see the opinions if this had happened against us, I reckon NSC would have crashed :lolol::lolol:

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Like I said, the situation was very confusing

(clear handball/was there an advantage?/was it a free kick?/why not yellow card for nani?/and about 5 other things)

and NEEDED a clear decision from the ref, so everyone understood what was going on.

None was forthcoming. CHAOS ensued.

All of your points end up with the same answer - he didn't give the offence (regardless of advantage). His clear decision was not blowing his whistle and giving a free kick.

How many times, as fans, do we scream and shout at obvious fouls that arn't given? If its not given then play on. Unfortunately for Spurs they cocked up and conceded a goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I've already mentioned earlier, Graham Poll said you can only just wave play on if NO offence has been committed. Clattenburg admitted that an offence was committed (he acknowledged the handball) yet waved play on. He got it wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A reporter has claimed Clattenburg admitted it - that doesn't mean Clattenburg said anything of the sort. And its also worth mentioning that handball is not a mandatory yellow either, so Clattenburg is within his rights to acknowledge it and wave play on anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For the THIRD time...

Graham Poll stated you can only wave play on if NO offence has been committed. Either Clattenburg acknowledged the handball then waved play on - wrong decision. Or he somehow missed the handball yet when prompted by the linesman did not disallow the goal - wrong decision.

It's noble that you don't want to see the ref getting all the blame, he doesnt deserve it. He was however, in the wrong.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've never seen that in the rules, and Graham Poll has a habit of getting the rules wrong in his articles

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never seen that in the rules, and Graham Poll has a habit of getting the rules wrong in his articles

He had a habit of getting the rules wrong on the pitch as well.

Anyhoo, I'm willing to cut Clatters some slack. We've spent half the day arguing what was right, what was wrong, what he should've done, what he shouldn't have done, and still not really reached a concensus. He had one look and about 2 seconds to make the call.

Who'd be a ref eh.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would like to see the opinions if this had happened against us, I reckon NSC would have crashed :lolol::lolol:

Look at it the other way. We had a thread not so long ago about the time that George Parris did what Nani did. I don't recall a single poster on that thread complain that what Parris did was unsporting. Nor do I recall anyone complain when Kit Napier did it against Chesterfield - in fact, I recall us all laughing our socks off about at school and apeing it in our playground games.

To talk about sporting behaviour is hypocritical in the extreme. If a Brighton player did what Nani did, NSC would be full of people saying fair play to him/play to the whistle.

I know that Spurs supporters are getting their knickers in the twist about this but if Peter Crouch had slotted it in at WHL in similar circumstances we wouldn't hear a peep out of them,

The simple fact is that the ref didn't give a foul, didn't blow his whistle and the Spurs keeper was a dickhead. Gomes is 100% to blame and, much as it's 'Arry's favourite ploy, it's nonsense to try to pass the buck elsewhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't Bobby score a rather "unsporting" goal up at Cheaterfield a few years back ?

Delicious irony. He couldn't have picked a better team to do it against at the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've spent half the day arguing what was right, what was wrong, what he should've done, what he shouldn't have done, and still not really reached a concensus

Genius. :laugh:

Reminded me of a Homer Simpson quote. Think I might try this next time I lose a debate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think I lost you about 30 posts ago. Let's move on.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
well at least you both managed to waste a day at work if nothing else :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh I SEE, you've declared yourself "the winner".
Not that I was competing anyway, its just a discussion. I still don't agree with you, but as you say, lets move on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Look at it the other way. We had a thread not so long ago about the time that George Parris did what Nani did. I don't recall a single poster on that thread complain that what Parris did was unsporting. Nor do I recall anyone complain when Kit Napier did it against Chesterfield - in fact, I recall us all laughing our socks off about at school and apeing it in our playground games.

To talk about sporting behaviour is hypocritical in the extreme. If a Brighton player did what Nani did, NSC would be full of people saying fair play to him/play to the whistle.

I know that Spurs supporters are getting their knickers in the twist about this but if Peter Crouch had slotted it in at WHL in similar circumstances we wouldn't hear a peep out of them,

The simple fact is that the ref didn't give a foul, didn't blow his whistle and the Spurs keeper was a dickhead. Gomes is 100% to blame and, much as it's 'Arry's favourite ploy, it's nonsense to try to pass the buck elsewhere.

The difference being, George Paris had not just blatantly handled the ball, and the keeper was in no doubt the ball was in play. He simply was not aware of the player behind him when he rolled the ball out to kick it, as he had done throughout the game.

In this instance Nani had handled, he knew he had handled, he knew Gomes had put the ball down mistakenly thinking he had a free kick.

Totally different.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The difference being, George Paris had not just blatantly handled the ball, and the keeper was in no doubt the ball was in play. He simply was not aware of the player behind him when he rolled the ball out to kick it, as he had done throughout the game.

In this instance Nani had handled, he knew he had handled, he knew Gomes had put the ball down mistakenly thinking he had a free kick.

Totally different.

Fair enough but I notice you don't make reference to the Kit Napier incident which was identical. In that case Stevenson thought a foul had been given (Napier had barged into him) and put the ball down for it to be tapped into the net.

It was discussed at length at school that Monday and no-one thought that Napier had acted unsportingly. And, while I don't know what would the NSC consensus would have been if we'd had the web back then, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority would say the same thing.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Fair enough but I notice you don't make reference to the Kit Napier incident which was identical. In that case Stevenson thought a foul had been given (Napier had barged into him) and put the ball down for it to be tapped into the net.

It was discussed at length at school that Monday and no-one thought that Napier had acted unsportingly. And, while I don't know what would the NSC consensus would have been if we'd had the web back then, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority would say the same thing.

To be fair, I'm not quite old enough to remember the Kit napier incident:angel:
However I doubt that:
1) Kit went down like a sack of s**t when he wasn't touched.
2) Grabbed the ball like a petulant child in a further attempt to fool the referee.
3) Threw himself to the floor again when the keeper retreives the ball & gently taps him with it.(in an attempt to fool the officials that he had been hit)
4) Got up and put the ball in the net, which is ungentlemanly conduct at best.

IMO Nani is a horrible piece of work & whatever the outcome of the incident, If the referee can find nothing in that lot to stop the game and give a free kick and a card, I am mighty relieved that we don't play in the Premier league & have to put up with this circus week after week.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I see Poyet on SSN talking about it as "Former Spurs Player", without any mention towards being Brighton Manager, is it wrong to be a bit annoyed by that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That may well have been before my time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here