Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on today at the PARADE

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Complete Badger said:
What a load of turd.

1) Any comments had EVERYTHING to do with today's performance - have you not noticed the numerous references to the Bradford right winger (Jermaine Johnson I believe) having the better of Mayo throughout, yet suddenly disappearing once Lynch appeared. Coincidence? Also, you admit you did not go to today's game, yet from what I can see, everyone else who has commented DID! Even the thread title is my review of TODAY'S game!

2) This thread is nothing to do with whatever Munkfish may have said - allow me to remind you my original post was very much a POSITIVE one, and not even directed at Mayo!
I wasn't referring specifically to YOUR posts nor specifically to today's game, but my response was to those who also were not talking specifcally talking about today's game, but to others who were talking about Kerry Mayo in general. So Kerry may or may not hae been skinned, that's vastly different to saying that he is shit and has no place at the club?

3) You think the other 3 defenders give the ball away as much as Mayo? Surely that has to be a joke. Even if it is not, have you not realised that Whing, Butters, and Hinshelwood can actually DEFEND, and even Butters who is obviously slow is rarely exposed and out of position like Mayo.
Yes, the other defenders do give the ball away. I can't help it if you cannot or will not see that. Of course Mayo can defend, nor is Mayo all that often out of position. He is slow, and he does get beaten, I acknowledge that, but also I appreciate it is hard for many people to acknowledge that Kerry Mayo is a major contributor to Brighton's progress principally because they have a pre-determined opinion on each match.

Lynch, still clearly very young, has a habit of dithering on the ball - too casual. It will be knocked out of his game soon enough, but it does happen now.

4) Joel Lynch is a better left-back, but you would rather see him in the CENTRE? As in the centre where Butters and Hinsh are currently performing out of their skins? Er, right.....
Oh, Jesus. I meant although Joel Lynch my be a better left-back than Mayo, he is also a better centre-back than he is left-back. The fact that Hinsh and Butters are playing very well would give Wilkins a 'nice' problem when choosing the best centre-half pairing.

5) What has age got to do with anything?...then I will stick with youtful stupidity thanks. Your constant sniping about age, now that really is PATHETIC.
CONSTANT sniping? Oh dear, you really must have a pessimistic conscience. What makes you think the whole load of my opinion was weighted at you? My opinion was not aimed at Mayo's performance at today's game - I wasn't there, I couldn't tell. It was more at my exasperation about some people thinking Kerry Mayo is shit, when clearly he isn't.

Also, as I have said time and again, you have to have a certain mentality to feel patronised.

Last edited:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Been told Kerry was made well aware he could be in for torrid time from the winger and was told to play a 60 minute match, for me he done his job. Obviosuly Lynch is the better long term player but Kerry deserves his place at the moment.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Could make sense, as Johnson was clearly their best player. I just have to wonder what the sense of playing Mayo at all in this game was, when we knew damn well that Johnson was lightning quick and likely to cause us problems. Don't get me wrong, I am not writing Mayo off and saying he has no place (and as TLO said, some people do), but there are certain opposition he just will not cope with - Jermaine Johnson is one of them!

Probably a case of him being chosen to give a few early whacks and get to grips with a tricky customer. Mayo, while not pacy is supposed to have the squads best stamina and endurance, probably a good asset against a teams main outlet?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Quite possibly. I also suspect it is because, in theory, the manager shouldn't really change a winning team. I just think Mayo, for all his good points, does have a few serious weaknesses, and as such he should be used more specifically rather than regularly.

Agree about the winning side approach, Wilkins has also said Lynch needs to be brought in and out of the side to really develop... Personally I'm more worried about right back should we lose Whing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
y2dave said:
Personally I'm more worried about right back should we lose Whing.
we shall have to worry about thatn if and when her returns to Coventry.

I prefer Lynch at left back at the moment rather than as a central defender but feel that he should be used sparingly taking into account his age.

The fact that he is being looked at by Premership clubs means nothing as I am looking at buying a newer car but I haven't yet decided if it is worth the expected cost or should I stick with my old reliable one which hasn't let me down.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There are some really good points on this thread, I just had to check I was on the right messageboard. I just hope this is Kerry's last season with us, he's been a great servant to the club but if we want to progress we need to leave him behind. Along with Carpenter, Frutos, Santos, etc.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Awesome were we :bowdown:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
El Presidente said:
Yikes, Beach Hut clearly had a dodgy FELCH with Ernest last night and has turned into YODA:ohmy:

The big man did not travel yesterday

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
y2dave said:
Been told Kerry was made well aware he could be in for torrid time from the winger and was told to play a 60 minute match, for me he done his job. Obviosuly Lynch is the better long term player but Kerry deserves his place at the moment.

Yea right.What a funny post

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
OK, so Bradford have one of the fastest players in the Division in Jermaine Johnson, can I point out just one little thing here...we won...regardless of how well he played, it wasn't enough for Bradford to get the better of Brighton.

Jeez, I think I preferred it on NSC when we were losing week in, week out.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Zebedee, it does sadly warrant an answer. For me, and obviously you, Lynch is simply on a different planet to someone like Mayo, and who to choose shouldn't even be an issue. It's Lynch EVERY time.

However, if JRB disagrees, fair enough. It's only an opinion, I would like to know WHY though? I'm not being critical, but I find it absolutely unbelievable that anyone could choose Mayo over Lynch for ANYTHING, let alone a place in our team!!

So it's cut and dry then? Lynch EVERY time? So answer me this - why does Wilkins play Mayo? While you're at it - why did McGhee, Coppell, Taylor, Adams etc all play him fairly consistently over other squad members? After all in your expert opinion, he's rubbish, yeah?

Is there not a small part of you that says maybe the football managers are more qualified than you to make judgements and that maybe you might just be wrong?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
A guy who lives near me supports Bradford, and he said that Johnson was their best player by a mile. So it was obvious that Mayo was gonna have a difficult afternoon

To be honest I thought Mayo had a very decent first half. He easily controlled Johnson then.

But Bradford as a whole stepped up a gear in the second and so did Johnson. I didn't think Mayo did too bad then either. The penalty was really ball to hand (so technically not a penalty), but Mayo can hardly bee blamed for that. For the second I cant remember if Mayo was on the pitch, but even if he was it wasn't his fault.

Why do certain fans want to destroy the bloke. Yes he isn't the best, but he is by no means the worst either.

I bet if Mayo wasn't in the team another scapegoat would be in place. Hammond, Hinsh anyone?

Come on, bloomin eck we have won again against a decent side. Lets just enjoy that cant we.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
TLO hasn't got a clue when it comes to individual players or infact the team as a whole.Best ignored altogether really.There's a small list of posters on here who know sod all about football.Makes me laugh as he has hes opinions about yesterday and yet he was 400 or so miles away in Brighton potting plants in his greenhouse

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here