Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on today at the PARADE

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

The Complete Badger said:
To my knowledge, I am still of a fairly reasonable mental state! You know what I have said in the past - in 03/04 and 04/05 Butters was brilliant, an absolute rock alongside Cullip. Last season, he started ok too. Bit of a shame I didn't post on nsc during all this really!

However, for the second half of last season, I thought he was poor, and it looked to me like time had caught up with him. I won't go over it all again now, we weren't short of words at the time!! As a team we were dreadful last season, and I made no secret that for me the three offenders I went for were Butters, Hammond, and Carpenter. I all but wrote them all off.

So, really, it's only fair, 6 months on, to look at that again and say that Guy and Dean have totally proved me wrong. Just as I didn't let the fact you posted on here bother me when things weren't so good, it's just as important now to say that I was wrong regarding what he had left to offer, and to pile on the praise that he (and Hammond) deserve right now. I wasn't in favour of barely ANYONE getting a new contract last season, and on balance I still think we could have been shrewder. But, Guy Butters is one of those who has turned out to be more than worth keeping on.

We have some good young defenders - I'm thinking El Abd and Lynch - but this season, for me, we have only started to look like a professional, solid, and reliable outfit once Butters and Hinshelwood have been paired. It's one area of the team where experience does mean so much, you really need to be organised -and for this they have both been superb. Ok, players like Lynch may be prettier (with the ball I mean, not in appearance!), but you need to stand up and be counted at places like Bradford, and yesterday I thought Butters, Hinsh, and Hammond were the three that did this best. Long may it continue
:clap:

Hope you are a fast typer:D

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Zebedee said:
Kerry was offered a move to a higher placed club than us? Really?
I think someone is pulling your leg TLO.

:D :D

On the other thread (munkfish) Lord Bracknell said exactly the same thing. Are you doubting him too.
Some people think Mayo is shit, some don't. It's all about opinions.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The thing with Mayo currently is he is playing in a winning team and in a defence that has conceeded 5 goals in 5 games (I think) so it is unlikely to that a winning team is going to be changed. He has never had pace, but it is a worry that he looks slower this year and he is only 28, however he is looking solid enough at present.

Lynch is a centre back and is going to get another chance at centre back this season, there will be injuries in there. Do you bring him in out of position on the left, then have to move him into central defence, so have to bring Mayo back in and so causing more changes in defence, whilst the team is doing well.

Also the actual answer to our left back issue is Sonny Cobbs, Rents is not currently playing left back for the reserves, he is playing left midfield, due to Cobbs being a better left back, however it is a case of do you chuck him in now, or let him develop, as the senior left back is doing a job at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here