Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My run-in with the police today

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Hammersmith Gyratory completely jammed up at 5:15 this evening.

The same all the way down over Hammersmith Bridge.

The reason ... a police checkpoint immediately south of the bridge.

As a normal reb-blooded frustrated driver I blasted the group of police standing at the checkpoint with my horn as I (finally) drove past.

I was immediately pulled over by two officers who ran down the road after my car ... funny to watch!

What did I think I was doing?

I'm mad at the delay you're causing to traffic.

We're catching burglars.

Do it somewhere else where it doesn't cause such chaos.

This is the best place to catch people.

No it's not. It's making drivers mad.

I'm going to give you a £30 ticket for sounding your horn without a good reason.

You're what!

It's illlegal to blah, blah, blah.

I suggest you go back to catching burglars. Is this really good use of your time?

This discussion is getting childish, I'll not waste time giving you a ticket.

Good luck with your burglar-catching.

Is that a Brighton sticker in your back window?

Yes, we've got a chance of making the playoffs.

I know.

And we've got our stadium approved.

The police can be such idiots. I love baiting them. Imagine chasing a driver to give him a ticket for sounding his horn when you're in the middle of a very important burglar-catching exercise. The whole thing was the most fun I've had all week!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
103-112: Signals : Directgov - Travel and transport

Police stopping procedures. If the police want to stop your vehicle they will, where possible, attract your attention by

flashing blue lights, headlights or sounding their siren or horn, usually from behind

directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator

You MUST then pull over and stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Then switch off your engine.

[Law RTA 1988 sect 163]

The horn.

"Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

while stationary on the road

when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.

[Law CUR reg 99]"

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
1st day in long trousers? is a comment always guranteed to wind up a young over zealous copper

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
"Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn...

blah blah blah

except when another road user poses a danger.

[Law CUR reg 99]"

Which is exactly what he was doing, warning them that he was there and not to jump in front of the car.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The Police have a hard enough job to do without tossers winding them up just for fun, what is the frigging point?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Taste of they're own medicine?

In my 42 years I have only met one copper who was a knob cheese, he was at Elm Park and took delight in going through our wallets before letting us go into the ground, just because he could...that didn't make me at all anti Police. I have a number of friends who are boys in blue and they are all top blokes for whom I have the greatest respect, I can't think of many people who I would rather see keeping our streets safe.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
In my 42 years I have only met one copper who was a knob cheese, he was at Elm Park and took delight in going through our wallets before letting us go into the ground, just because he could...that didn't make me at all anti Police. I have a number of friends who are boys in blue and they are all top blokes for whom I have the greatest respect, I can't think of many people who I would rather see keeping our streets safe.

I've met quite a few wanker coppers (including the one's i've had to work with and the one's who have cuffed me) And the conclusion I draw is most of them seem to think they are the law as opposed to being the people who are paid to impose it, And a hell of a lot of them seem to forget the part of they're job where they're paid to help people.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've met quite a few wanker coppers (including the one's i've had to work with and the one's who have cuffed me) And the conclusion I draw is most of them seem to think they are the law as opposed to being the people who are paid to impose it, And a hell of a lot of them seem to forget the part of they're job where they're paid to help people.

Maybe because they're sick of people sounding their horns and being aggressive towards them when they're trying to do their job?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe because they're sick of people sounding their horns and being aggressive towards them when they're trying to do their job?

Thats the path they chose in life so they'll get no sympathy from me.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am guessing that you have been either completely unlucky in your dealings with the police or have some sort of magnetism that brings out the worst in human nature...yes, somewhat controversially, my view is that they are human like the rest of us. The majority of cops I have met have seen their role as being a service to their community, whilst still being their job, but that they are there to uphold the law and not to enforce it...that is the job of the courts.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I am guessing that you have been either completely unlucky in your dealings with the police or have some sort of magnetism that brings out the worst in human nature...yes, somewhat controversially, my view is that they are human like the rest of us. The majority of cops I have met have seen their role as being a service to their community, whilst still being their job, but that they are there to uphold the law and not to enforce it...that is the job of the courts.

I've had dealings with coppers from all angle's and on the whole most of them these days just look for an agressive approach and a quick arrest, The days of being able to work with them have gone. Thankfully I work in an industry where we can still overrule them in certain circumstances.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have had a fair few dealings with the cops over the years in many different situations, my experience appears to be the complete opposite to yours, perhaps I am just lucky...or maybe it is just that I am not the sort of person that makes people anti the minute they meet me, a cheeky smile and a bit of charm can still work wonders and diffuse even the most trying of situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here