Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My run-in with the police today

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
There are good and bad coppers (like there is in any walk of life) Both my parents were Old Bill and my Grand father was a Chief Supt and i'd like to think they were normal people..............But I was the black sheep of the family and I liked a scrap when I was younger, so I had a few dealings with the Police and generally if you are fair with them and they'll be fair to you, But if you act the C**T then they will treat you like one !

***I would like to add that I saw the error of my ways and I am now an upstanding member of the community !***

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I think we've done this subject to death several times on here previously with the same people giving more or less the same opinions but for what its worth, If someone acts a twat they get me in their face being a twat back, if they are perfectly reasonable then they get reasonable back. If you drove past beeping your horn and no doubt mouthing obscenities and giving it large what do you expect back, was anyone else driving past doing the same? If it had been me i probably would have reacted similarly, depends what mood i'm in I guess.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Here's a funny thing.

The people most in need of police assistance- like, for example, a pleasant lady who's just got in to find her house ransacked and everything of value stolen, or someone who's just been robbed at knifepoint on the street, are typically the most apologetic about calling 999 for the one and only time in their lives.

They are the ones who stand there in shock saying "I'm so sorry about calling you out for something like this, I'm probably wasting your time" (clearly they're not).

The people, on the other hand, who spend their entire lives moaning about "the f***ing old bill", are almost always the FIRST ones to dial 999, funnily enough, not only that but they dial it far more often than most people, using it as a sort of personal security and/or mediation service. Frequently about the most trivial things, the sort of thing that grown adults with reasonably developed brains should be capable of dealing with themselves.

You think your local police officers should be sorting out disputes between neighbours about which parking space belongs to which person, leading to one of them giving the other a "threatening look"? About some fifteen year old who texted her friend to let her know she's a FKN SLAG and is now demanding action because the "mate" texted back to say she was WELL FKN FAT NEWAY N IM GNA WELL SORT U OUT? Or perhaps you want them to go racing to a "distressed" screaming female outside a pub only to get there and find out she's just pissed and wants a lift home?

If we could choose who we deal with, and tell the time-wasters to take a hike, we would. But sadly, the rules state we have to look out for everyone, and that includes running around after the very people who tell us we're shit.

But like the man says, I chose that path (and I love it) :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The time wasters should be diverted to another number (666 perhaps) which goes through at a non refundable £10 charge on their phone bill.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Most coppers are snide wankers. Cant be bothered to go into my reasons behind it but thats my opinion.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Most coppers are snide wankers. Cant be bothered to go into my reasons behind it but thats my opinion.

I never caught a burglar, drug dealer, thieving smackhead, 15 year old asboy by being anything else. I take that as a compliment!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just to change the subject slightly. How do you become a detective? I've always thought it would be kind of cool to be a detective on the trail of a serial killer or a moriarty-esque evil genius mastermind.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think we've done this subject to death several times on here previously with the same people giving more or less the same opinions but for what its worth, If someone acts a twat they get me in their face being a twat back, if they are perfectly reasonable then they get reasonable back. If you drove past beeping your horn and no doubt mouthing obscenities and giving it large what do you expect back, was anyone else driving past doing the same? If it had been me i probably would have reacted similarly, depends what mood i'm in I guess.

That's the trouble with the British; we don't complain enough.

My reason for sounding my horn was to let them know I was mad as hell at them for creating a massive traffic jam on the evening before the easter weekend when the traffic was bad enough anyway.

If I had sailed by with a pleasant wave they would have had no idea how bloody inconvenient their actions were.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
A copper recently pulled over the taxi I was taking home.

The driver had been a couple of miles over the speed limit, so I suppose it was fair enough.

The problem was, the copper didn't have the courtesy to apologise for incoveniencing us. WE hadn't broken the law, but the traffic cop treated us with as much contempt as the driver.

That's just one in a long line of experiences I've had with police, (none of them criminal on my part) that have led me to the assumption the majority are arrogant, bigotted, arseholes.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I like the police. Everyone hates them but it takes some patience to put up with the shit that goes on and that. Fair play to em I reckon.

Hooray for the police.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The public`s perception of the police has most definetly changed over the last 30 years.
Maybe the public are wrong and the police ARE wonderful.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
That's the traffic division, even normal coppers don't like hem much !!!

Okay, for balance here's a another experience of two police officers with next to no inter-personal skills.

Me and a few friends were lost, looking for a comedy club in London. We'd asked a few people in the street to no avail and were about to stop off in a takeaway to ask there.

Just as we were about to enter a police car pulled over and the two officers got out. My friend seized the opportunity to ask one of the public servants if he knew where said club on said road was. "Try directory enquiries" came the response.
At which point they both entered the takeaway and proceded to queue for food.

Shocking attitude and poor service. And as I say I have several more negative police stories.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Here's a funny thing.

The people most in need of police assistance- like, for example, a pleasant lady who's just got in to find her house ransacked and everything of value stolen, or someone who's just been robbed at knifepoint on the street, are typically the most apologetic about calling 999 for the one and only time in their lives.

They are the ones who stand there in shock saying "I'm so sorry about calling you out for something like this, I'm probably wasting your time" (clearly they're not).

The people, on the other hand, who spend their entire lives moaning about "the f***ing old bill", are almost always the FIRST ones to dial 999, funnily enough, not only that but they dial it far more often than most people, using it as a sort of personal security and/or mediation service. Frequently about the most trivial things, the sort of thing that grown adults with reasonably developed brains should be capable of dealing with themselves.

You think your local police officers should be sorting out disputes between neighbours about which parking space belongs to which person, leading to one of them giving the other a "threatening look"? About some fifteen year old who texted her friend to let her know she's a FKN SLAG and is now demanding action because the "mate" texted back to say she was WELL FKN FAT NEWAY N IM GNA WELL SORT U OUT? Or perhaps you want them to go racing to a "distressed" screaming female outside a pub only to get there and find out she's just pissed and wants a lift home?

If we could choose who we deal with, and tell the time-wasters to take a hike, we would. But sadly, the rules state we have to look out for everyone, and that includes running around after the very people who tell us we're shit.

where did you pick up that bullshit from? been wanking over the police handbook again?

I got elbowed in the face by a copper once after getting arrested for trying to help a pissed mate walk home.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Here's a funny thing.

Well said - and extremely accurate

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
where did you pick up that bullshit from? been wanking over the police handbook again?

I got elbowed in the face by a copper once after getting arrested for trying to help a pissed mate walk home.

The police love heavy handed tactics and the sad thing is they know they can get away with it because they've got a uniform to hide behind.

I remember talking to a woman at Brighton station after one of our demonstrations at a Lib Dem conference and she was close to tears because of police bully boy attitudes. The woman herself would'nt have hurt a fly but it did'nt stop a 6ft+ real man of a copper pushing her around.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's the trouble with the British; we don't complain enough.

My reason for sounding my horn was to let them know I was mad as hell at them for creating a massive traffic jam on the evening before the easter weekend when the traffic was bad enough anyway.

If I had sailed by with a pleasant wave they would have had no idea how bloody inconvenient their actions were.

You make it sound as though the Police were deliberately trying to spoil your day. I can tell you, in a whole lot of other western countries your impatience who have got you spreadeagled over your bonnet with a nightstick across your throat.

They have a job to do and what you were doing was not complaining, just venting. Why don't you write a letter of complaint ?

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I have great respect for the police. It's not a job i would want to do, or could do. The amount of shit they must put up with from some members of the public, plus all the paperwork, it's no suprise some of them might be less than perfect to people.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
The police love heavy handed tactics and the sad thing is they know they can get away with it because they've got a uniform to hide behind.

I remember talking to a woman at Brighton station after one of our demonstrations at a Lib Dem conference and she was close to tears because of police bully boy attitudes. The woman herself would'nt have hurt a fly but it did'nt stop a 6ft+ real man of a copper pushing her around.

Ok, for no reason a Police Officer just started pushing this female (who wouldn't hurt a fly) around... What a load of rubbish.... Do you believe all the stories you are told ?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Ok, everyone's got their views, usually based on personal experience but consider this.

When an old dear isn't seen for a couple of weeks, and someone has to break in to find her, who has to go and do it?

When some cock has decided to cause a multi-fatality car crash, who has to go and clean up the mess?

When everyone goes out and gets twatfaced and starts fights every Friday and Saturday, who's got to deal with it?

If everyone actually stops and realises that these guys do society's dirty work for us, then I'm sure we'd all get on better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here