Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Southampton

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It would be daft to pay murray silly money and for all we know poyet may have far superior players for that position in mind.

Can't see murray scoring more than ten next season if he stays:D

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
It would be daft to pay murray silly money and for all we know poyet may have far superior players for that position in mind.

Can't see murray scoring more than ten next season if he stays:D

So how many superior players can you think off who would cost less than £1m or 2? And in any case they would still want the going rate for a Championship striker. If we look at league 1 or 2 players, who might cost a bit less than that, name one that is a better player tham GM who you think we could pick up for say £500k and who would play for peanuts. At the moment, we only have 1 forward for next season in Barnes, so if GM doesn't stay, we really need 3 new forwards so that we have real strength in depth to cover injuries, suspensions, loss in form etc, if we are looking at anything above mid table.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So how many superior players can you think off who would cost less than £1m or 2? And in any case they would still want the going rate for a Championship striker. If we look at league 1 or 2 players, who might cost a bit less than that, name one that is a better player tham GM who you think we could pick up for say £500k and who would play for peanuts. At the moment, we only have 1 forward for next season in Barnes, so if GM doesn't stay, we really need 3 new forwards so that we have real strength in depth to cover injuries, suspensions, loss in form etc, if we are looking at anything above mid table.
Im sure there is plenty of quality spanish strikers around on a freebie:wink:

Plenty of quality around europe so open your eyes as we all know british players are well over priced:clap:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Im sure there is plenty of quality spanish strikers around on a freebie:wink:

I misread that - thought it said frisbee.

The image it brought to mind made me laugh

(gets coat)

anyway - just a hunch but I think we might be looking to eastern europe more

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Trouble is it is not just about Glenn Murray.
If we pay him what he wants then we smash the wages ceiling and it will lead to other players demanding more.
Bloom is sensible and will not overstretch the budget - even if this does mean losing a quality player.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I want Murray to stay, reckon he can bang in 15+ at Champ level if we retain Bennett and maybe get Lua Lua and others.

But as I've always stated, if a Player wants out and Gus cant pursuade him to stay then let him go, no point keeping him here under his contract if he has no desire to play with us.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we pay him what he wants then we smash the wages ceiling and it will lead to other players demanding more.
Bloom is sensible and will not overstretch the budget - even if this does mean losing a quality player.

This a million times. It would snowball and we would end up like Portsmouth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What other players do we have in the same poisition as him ie a top player for us but out of contract. I cant think of anyone who hasnt signed a new contract who falls into this category, Dicker and Bridcutt have signed already.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely if we are going to sign better players they will want better wages and will either sign or not based on the discussion at the time not after speaking to other players.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Look, our wage limit would have increased, we will sign players on high wages next year yes, but if Murray wants even more then that, well it's not worth breaking that limt for. All suggestions point to the fact that he wants A LOT of money, even gus said so himself, believe the quote was 'the boy wants a lot of money', add that to the fact that an ESTABLISHED Championship side, yes struggling, but have managed to stay in the Championship a damn sight longer then we ever have, can't afford his wages, points towards the fact that maybe he's just asking for a bit too much and we shouldn't break our budget for it because we know where that path leads.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Look, our wage limit would have increased, we will sign players on high wages next year yes, but if Murray wants even more then that, well it's not worth breaking that limt for. All suggestions point to the fact that he wants A LOT of money, even gus said so himself, believe the quote was 'the boy wants a lot of money', add that to the fact that an ESTABLISHED Championship side, yes struggling, but have managed to stay in the Championship a damn sight longer then we ever have, can't afford his wages, points towards the fact that maybe he's just asking for a bit too much and we shouldn't break our budget for it because we know where that path leads.

I get the impression that Gus does not rate him highly enough to offer him too much anyway. Put another way, maybe he thinks "the greedy bastard is not that good - he can f*** off if he wants that much!"

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I get the impression that Gus does not rate him highly enough to offer him too much anyway. Put another way, maybe he thinks "the greedy bastard is not that good - he can f*** off if he wants that much!"

What a load of cobblers, Gus always talks Murray up and how could he not rate him, top scorer, probably the best forward since BZ, without him over the last couple of games he has been massively missed. Also he's not just a goal scorer but holds to ball up, brings other players into the game, works hard tracking back and is excellent in defence at set peices.

All players are greedy, it's a short career so cash in while it is there, Murray or probably his agent are no different to anyone else, remember the Bennett / Norwich saga!

Sadly you don't get smoke without fire so my guess is that he has played his last game. Shame he's quality.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
The Murray-Lambert combination would be too similar with no blinding-pace and two forwards who hold the ball up for a pacey partner.

If it happened, tryer-Lambert would lose his place eventually, as Murray has in addition, instinctive abilites and can also create goals out of nothing.

I hope BHA make it would his while to stay. He's class, and after being nomadic, has found a place where is adored.

Even before this season, a senior Director at the club told me "It was the best £300k the club's ever spent!"

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The Murray-Lambert combination would be too similar with no blinding-pace and two forwards who hold the ball up for a pacey partner.

If it happened, tryer-Lambert would lose his place eventually, as Murray has in addition, instinctive abilites and can also create goals out of nothing.

I hope BHA make it would his while to stay. He's class, and after being nomadic, has found a place where is adored.

Even before this season, a senior Director at the club told me "It was the best £300k the club's ever spent!"

Clearly the "Senior Director" has forgotten that BZ only cost £100K. Is he safe to have on the Board?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here