Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Southampton

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
He's not officially allowed to be offered anything by a domestic club until one month before his contract expires anyway, if my understanding of the rules is spot on. Foreign clubs can offer pre-contract terms in the last 6 months of a player's contract (i.e. January onwards) but I don't think anyone is allowed to make a solid offer (certainly in legal, paperwork terms - there may be a 'gentleman's agreement' in place) until June 1st. Hence the wait. I too am growing intensely bored of the palava over his contract - I understand his reluctance to commit given this has to be the most lucrative contract of his career. But I'm beginning to not give a f***, Bloom and Poyet will have set a strict cap and won't offer a penny over regardless of who his wanker of an agent links him with. If the offer isn't good enough then he's welcome to go, I don't blame him. But god help him if it was to Palace, or Southampton. Would make the games a little more tasty next season when El-Abd welcomed him to the Amex by kicking him into the West Stand Upper.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He's not officially allowed to be offered anything by a domestic club until one month before his contract expires anyway, if my understanding of the rules is spot on. Foreign clubs can offer pre-contract terms in the last 6 months of a player's contract (i.e. January onwards) but I don't think anyone is allowed to make a solid offer (certainly in legal, paperwork terms - there may be a 'gentleman's agreement' in place) until June 1st. Hence the wait. I too am growing intensely bored of the palava over his contract - I understand his reluctance to commit given this has to be the most lucrative contract of his career. But I'm beginning to not give a f***, Bloom and Poyet will have set a strict cap and won't offer a penny over regardless of who his wanker of an agent links him with. If the offer isn't good enough then he's welcome to go, I don't blame him. But god help him if it was to Palace, or Southampton. Would make the games a little more tasty next season when El-Abd welcomed him to the Amex by kicking him into the West Stand Upper.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm of the mind that the ONLY indispensable person at BHAFC - and I include our esteemed Uruguayan manager as dispensable - is Tony Bloom.

He chose Gus after all. If Murray goes, so be it. Gus - and more importantly Tony - will make sure we're ok.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I didn't say with us.

He said (and it's from the horses mouth) he 'will be staying down south'.

He wasn't prepared to go into any more details, and this news doesn't rule out the possibility he will stay with us.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm of the mind that the ONLY indispensable person at BHAFC - and I include our esteemed Uruguayan manager as dispensable - is Tony Bloom.

He chose Gus after all. If Murray goes, so be it. Gus - and more importantly Tony - will make sure we're ok.

I get the impression, maybe wrongly, that GP and TB are not prepared to offer too much of the playing budget to him.

They must be keeping their cash to pay for a more lethal finisher, which is what Gus has wanted for a long time. Murray is unlikely to score the number of goals we will require next year and at best would play second fiddle to a better quality striker if he stays. We should not pay too much for his services.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I get the impression, maybe wrongly, that GP and TB are not prepared to offer too much of the playing budget to him.

They must be keeping their cash to pay for a more lethal finisher, which is what Gus has wanted for a long time. Murray is unlikely to score the number of goals we will require next year and at best would play second fiddle to a better quality striker if he stays. We should not pay too much for his services.

I disagree.

His overall, all round contribution has been huge.

Our worst performances this season - away to S'ton, and away to B'muff. Until he came on we were shocking - on come Glenn and we start to play.

In addition, his defensive work shouldn't be underestimated either.

By all means get in another striker - but keep Glenn too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I disagree.

Our worst performances this season - away to S'ton, and away to B'muff. Until he came on we were shocking - on come Glenn and we start to play.

100% spot on. The way Glenn wins the ball in the air is nothing short of miraculous - he will be incredibly difficult to replace. Sorting him out with a decent signing on fee should be much cheaper than buying someone to replace him. The thing is, if we let Glenn go we will need TWO new classy forwards. Barnes is excellent, but very inconsistent, Wood is cr*p, Sandaza is at best an impact sub, and Holroyd couldn't even make it in League 1, let alone the Championship.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I would be annoyed if Murray left he has got such a good future here at the albion. But I think he's only in it for money and not the club.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I disagree.

His contribution around the park may have been "huge". There is not dispute that he has been a good player at League 1 level for us this season.

However, the primary role of a striker is to score goals. Murray's strike rate to chances is not good enough to enable us to challenge for the Premiership if he is our main striker. Hopefully the need for Murray to make up for the lack of height in our defense will be sorted out for next season. Murray should be kept at the right price, but only at the right price. He is no Bobby Zamora or Peter Ward. If he stays, we will have to buy a more lethal finisher anyway - and that will cost a lot of money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
His contribution around the park may have been "huge". There is not dispute that he has been a good player at League 1 level for us this season.

However, the primary role of a striker is to score goals. Murray's strike rate to chances is not good enough to enable us to challenge for the Premiership if he is our main striker. Hopefully the need for Murray to make up for the lack of height in our defense will be sorted out for next season. Murray should be kept at the right price, but only at the right price. He is no Bobby Zamora or Peter Ward. If he stays, we will have to buy a more lethal finisher anyway - and that will cost a lot of money.

I'm not sure I agree with much of that. I think you are getting ahead of yourself in terms of needing certain players to challenge for the top flight.

You talk about the primary role of a striker being to score goals. That depends entirely on the make-up of the team and how they play. Murray isn't just a goalscorer, he is our lynchpin. Look at someone like Kevin Davies - he has never been prolific, but he is one of the most important players to Bolton.

Murray's strike rate is reasonable, certainly at this level. There is no reason why it should deteriorate in the league above. Grant Holt being a decent example. If we got rid of Murray, we would not be solely taking away his finishing.

Shooting stats - On / Off / Goals

Lambert - 83/57/21/15%
Hoskins - 59/49/17/15.7%
CMS - 63/35/26/26.5%
Murray - 47/45/22/23.9%
BWP - 56/27/21/25.3%

Now, he is not too far behind CMS and streets ahead of Lambert. I don't know if either of those take free kicks or penalties - I'm pretty sure Lambert takes penalties and free kicks. That can be given to another player if Murray is not suitable.

I'm interested to know who you think scores more than 1 in 4 chances. Holt is scoring at a rate of 17%, I think he takes penalties. Bellamy, 11%. Sinclair, 18% and so on.

It doesn't just have to be about scoring goals. There are only 8 players with over 15 goals this season, in the Championship. There is little to suggest, at the moment, that Murray would be incapable of scoring in the league above.

Of course, no player is worth breaking the bank over and disrupting the playing budget.

How will our lack of height at the back be sorted out next season? Are we able to afford/is there someone available to us/and so on that can play football as opposed to jsut being a big hulk at the back and heading the ball away?

If anything, this season has proven that it is a team game and players are/should not be restricted to a primary role.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm not sure I agree with much of that. I think you are getting ahead of yourself in terms of needing certain players to challenge for the top flight.

You talk about the primary role of a striker being to score goals. That depends entirely on the make-up of the team and how they play. Murray isn't just a goalscorer, he is our lynchpin. Look at someone like Kevin Davies - he has never been prolific, but he is one of the most important players to Bolton.

Murray's strike rate is reasonable, certainly at this level. There is no reason why it should deteriorate in the league above. Grant Holt being a decent example. If we got rid of Murray, we would not be solely taking away his finishing.

Shooting stats - On / Off / Goals

Lambert - 83/57/21/15%
Hoskins - 59/49/17/15.7%
CMS - 63/35/26/26.5%
Murray - 47/45/22/23.9%
BWP - 56/27/21/25.3%

Now, he is not too far behind CMS and streets ahead of Lambert. I don't know if either of those take free kicks or penalties - I'm pretty sure Lambert takes penalties and free kicks. That can be given to another player if Murray is not suitable.

I'm interested to know who you think scores more than 1 in 4 chances. Holt is scoring at a rate of 17%, I think he takes penalties. Bellamy, 11%. Sinclair, 18% and so on.

It doesn't just have to be about scoring goals. There are only 8 players with over 15 goals this season, in the Championship. There is little to suggest, at the moment, that Murray would be incapable of scoring in the league above.

Of course, no player is worth breaking the bank over and disrupting the playing budget.

How will our lack of height at the back be sorted out next season? Are we able to afford/is there someone available to us/and so on that can play football as opposed to jsut being a big hulk at the back and heading the ball away?

If anything, this season has proven that it is a team game and players are/should not be restricted to a primary role.

My point is that we should not break the bank to keep him. If he wants to go - then so be it. The stats are not really the whole picture are they? Murray does not get enough shots away - on or off target, to be as lethal we need.

Gus has already highlighted our need for bigger stronger players for next year. That must surely deal with our lack of height?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt it Brian Clough who said if you have 20 shots you may score anything from 0 up to 20 goals. If you have 1 shot the most you can score is 1 goal so on that assumtion the more shots Glen has the better, even if he misses them. The problem is like Chris Holroyd and many before him, not getting in the position in the first place to have the shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here