Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Southampton

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Evidence of £300,000.

1. "Murray then left Rochdale in the January transfer window to join League One side Brighton & Hove Albion for a reported fee of around £300,000. He made 42 league appearances scoring 21 goals in 2006 and 2007, giving him an average of one goal every two games in his Rochdale career."

2. The person that signed the telegraphic transfer to Rochdale for £300,000 stated it was that. You would know as having good character, so truthful.

Other than illegally producing confidential papers, rest assured it was £300,000. But still a bargain. Class player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my sons has just phoned and speaking about Murray said that it is in The Star today that Millwall and Southampton are battling for him at £10k per week also they havea depot near Southampton and he says that it is common talk that he will replace Barnard as it is thought of by a lot of people that he is going inside, when he gets found guilty of the assault that her is up for.

It may be unorthodox but if we pay him that we are on a winner, either he scores goals and we get our monies worth or if not we will sell him for a large fee to somebody like Huddersfield if they dont go up or another team hoping for promotion from Div 1 as he is proven at that level.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I get the impression that Gus does not rate him highly enough to offer him too much anyway. Put another way, maybe he thinks "the greedy bastard is not that good - he can f*** off if he wants that much!"
This:clap:
Fact is poyet stated he wanted 20+ goals this season from murray and that he achieved,so obviously poyet had his doubts.This makes things very awkward now as 10kish for a unproven striker in the championship who could easily flop???
Im sure poyet has many targets for strikers so its his call and blooms,but to be honest i think better players at this level are out there.If you don't have quality strikers in the championship you're in trouble.

I say release murray as i've had enough of his stupid celebration and his misrable face:D

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
10K a week is WAY over our wages ceiling.
If we pay that for a player every other player in the squad will start asking for a pay rise. Every player we sign will be aware that we are paying up to 10K a week and will be demanding the same (especially players with championship experience).
Paying wages over and above our budget is the way to financial ruin.
For the record though the 10k a week figure is inaccurate.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Evidence of £300,000.

1. "Murray then left Rochdale in the January transfer window to join League One side Brighton & Hove Albion for a reported fee of around £300,000. He made 42 league appearances scoring 21 goals in 2006 and 2007, giving him an average of one goal every two games in his Rochdale career."

2. The person that signed the telegraphic transfer to Rochdale for £300,000 stated it was that. You would know as having good character, so truthful.

Other than illegally producing confidential papers, rest assured it was £300,000. But still a bargain. Class player.

We all know he cost £300k from Rochdale. What is your point? Mine was that £100k for Bobby Zamora was a MUCH better buy than £300K for Murray.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
On a free transfer I would imagine his agent will be starting around the 20K plus a week mark with clubs he was approaching.

Gus had already stated many clubs will be able to out spend us, however 10K a week must be average for a lot of championship players, I imagine Gus and Tony will have to sell the pacakage and the club aspirations over the multi millionare wages.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
This has been dragging on so long now, I can't help but feel he's leaving. Hope I'm wrong.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
10K a week is WAY over our wages ceiling.
If we pay that for a player every other player in the squad will start asking for a pay rise. Every player we sign will be aware that we are paying up to 10K a week and will be demanding the same (especially players with championship experience).
Paying wages over and above our budget is the way to financial ruin.
For the record though the 10k a week figure is inaccurate.

But if for the sake of argument £10k is about average for a half decent championship striker, then whether we sign GM or not, we are still going to have to pay around that to get a replacement and a similar amount for the 3rd striker we need because atm, we only have Barnes. Obviously we don't want to be held to ransom on wages, but the agents out there will be looking at our expensive shiny new stadium and think that BHA have cash to play with so of course negotiations will start at the top end. On the whole, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, Baz, Batti, Holdroyd etc, so either we pay the sort of money that will hopefully put in the top half of the table, which is what Bloom seems to expect, or we take a gamble on the cheaper end of the market, and end up in a relegation fight. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Oh, and without GM this season, probably apart from Swindon away, we have been pretty dire and imo we certainly wouldn't have won the league without him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
We all know he cost £300k from Rochdale. What is your point? Mine was that £100k for Bobby Zamora was a MUCH better buy than £300K for Murray.

How can you compare the two when the signings were years apart and fees and wages rocketed in that time?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Well Bobby actually cost 520k after the sell on % we paid Rovers after his move to Spurs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The average salary in the Championship is £275,000 a year.

If CCC teams were that keen on Murray they might have signed him in January for a knockdown fee and taken their chances on promotion.

I think we will offer a reasonable salary, if someone however offers SILLY money (and £10k a week is a lot for a 27 year old who has only played in the bottom two divisions), then good luck to them, and to Glenn.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But if for the sake of argument £10k is about average for a half decent championship striker, then whether we sign GM or not, we are still going to have to pay around that to get a replacement and a similar amount for the 3rd striker we need because atm, we only have Barnes. Obviously we don't want to be held to ransom on wages, but the agents out there will be looking at our expensive shiny new stadium and think that BHA have cash to play with so of course negotiations will start at the top end. On the whole, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, Baz, Batti, Holdroyd etc, so either we pay the sort of money that will hopefully put in the top half of the table, which is what Bloom seems to expect, or we take a gamble on the cheaper end of the market, and end up in a relegation fight. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Oh, and without GM this season, probably apart from Swindon away, we have been pretty dire and imo we certainly wouldn't have won the league without him.

Have to agree with that!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I disagree.

His overall, all round contribution has been huge.

Our worst performances this season - away to S'ton, and away to B'muff. Until he came on we were shocking - on come Glenn and we start to play.

In addition, his defensive work shouldn't be underestimated either.

By all means get in another striker - but keep Glenn too.

Would agree with this assessment, similar in many ways to Eric Cantona's at United. Of all the goals that Cantona scored, I still remember best one game when he ran back and cleared off the line when Schmeichel had been beaten. You can't buy that talent easily.

But it seems Murray's agent wants to get a good deal out of his present standing, so I think he'll go.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
On a completely side note to all of this, El Pres has just brought something to my attention. We all talk about 10k a week etc, but does that mean £10k a week for the whole of the year, or just the season? The average of £275,000 for the year works out as just over £5k a week if it is worked out over 12 months. Interesting to know? Or am I being a complete spanner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here