Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray Gone - Official Text

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"Murray added, "Unfortunately we have been unable to reach agreement, but I want to leave on amicable terms, after what has been a very successful and enjoyable part of my career." "

And you will do Glenn ..... right up to the moment you sign for one of our arch rivals. At that point, "amicable" is not how it will be.

To be honest, I'd take him joining anyone but Palace. I wouldn't even be that fussed if he went to Southampton or Pompey. Just don't join Palace Glenn!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To be fair to Murray, he always refused to declare his undying love for the club this season. It seems likely he already thought that moving on would be the only way to maximise his earnings from what's likely to be the biggest move of his career.

Some fans will slate him for that attitude. Personally, I think it showed some integrity. He could have been two-faced about it and spouted the usual footballers' clap-trap. Not really his fault either that Palace appear to be the one club prepared to pay what GP and TB obviously believe is too much money.

Much as Albion have massive potential, it's unlikely Murray would ever have got the benefit of that. Promotion to the Premier League within the next couple of years would almost certainly have seen him binned anyway so, from his personal point of view, it's probably a good decision.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Perhaps not.

But the fact I kept getting shot down for being some sort of Rumour Mental for passing on that Palace were definitely in the driving seat despite Freedman's comments seems a little premature now doesn't it?
People have short memories. You were the first person to break news about Liam Dickinson going to Barnsley.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
People have short memories. You were the first person to break news about Liam Dickinson going to Barnsley.

Exactly, and a few others.

Anyhow, NSC binners aside, I am GUTTED Murray is leaving. Gutted.

One of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen wear the stripes.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The needs of the team outweigh the needs of the individual. Time to sign a replacement and move on.

Good striker for us and will probably cope at Championship level, but he was never on a par with Robert Lester Zamora.

At 10K a week, I doubt he's worth it.

And unlike other players who have moved on, he's burned his bridges. A sad way to go.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Palace are offering 'between 8k and 10k'. Even if he does sign for them, he won't necessarily be on £10k a week. Most likely somewhere between the two figures with bonuses etc taking it up to the £10k.

I love everyone lecturing about loyalty. If he was loyal he'd still be up north and have never signed for us...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I love everyone lecturing about loyalty. If he was loyal he'd still be up north and have never signed for us...

Hmm

Not quite. I understand that the £300,000 we paid was too good for Carlisle to turn down. He didnt want to sign for us but effectively Carlisle told him he had to.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

More than slightly inaccurate since he his heart wasn't on coming here in the first place now was it ?

.. and Carlisle needed the transfer money.

But do carry on....

I'm happy he's gone. Didn't want to come here in the first place and only started to play when he knew he had a chance to get out. I'm sorry your favourite player had gone, but the feeling was never reciprocated.

We will buy better.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Palace are offering 'between 8k and 10k'. Even if he does sign for them, he won't necessarily be on £10k a week. Most likely somewhere between the two figures with bonuses etc taking it up to the £10k.

Fair play. Heard anything from anybody about realistic replacements/targets from these same sources?

As for Murray, meh, he was a cracking player last season and took us up, undoubtedly without him we would'nt have been and during injuries etc weren't the same team. If he goes to Palace, yes, it's a pain in the arse for us as fans, but if that's the best deal on the table then i don't blame him one bit for taking it. He owes nothing (IMO) to the club, you could say Gus turned him into a better player, but that's not enough to make him stay. End of the day, he's probably only got 5 more years at this level, football isn't a lifelong career for most, and he has a family to support.
Not sure i'll boo him next season, because if, hypathetically I was working in a firm and their closest rivals offered me another £150k on top of my salary, i'd happily move. Loyalty is a thing of the past.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And most people are not lecturing about loyalty. It's about him going to Palace. There wouldn't be all this abuse if he were signing for Coventry or Boro or anyone but Palace. The only people I see lecturing are a couple of sanctimonious old women trying to apply rational thought to a football team - probably the most irrational and one-sided relationship a grown man can have outside of being married to my ex-wife.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Were Carlisle loyal to him when we came dangling the dollar? No - they sold him like a shot. He's just doing the same. Shame he's going but I hope Gus has some likely replacements lined up.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And most people are not lecturing about loyalty. It's about him going to Palace. There wouldn't be all this abuse if he were signing for Coventry or Boro or anyone but Palace. The only people I see lecturing are a couple of sanctimonious old women trying to apply rational thought to a football team - probably the most irrational and one-sided relationship a grown man can have outside of being married to my ex-wife.

True, but if he wants to stay in the south east, he can only go where there are offers and an extra few hundred grand is a lot. Especially to someone from Carlisle...

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

Where has this nugget of info come from?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

And a signing on fee presumably?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here