Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Overrated Films Of All Time

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Go watch the end again. They were super advaned robots , the end product of the evolution of AI from the 2000 since David lay at the bottom of the ocean after the apocalypse. The ending was hardly feel good to me, bitter sweet. The boy only had his mother for 24 hours.

The super advanced robots at the end could finally bring the boy what he wanted and what he wanted to hear after 2000 years of AI development.

The ending wrapped up the 2 hours before perfectly. I say again if you thought they were Aliens you didn't get it.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
looney said:
American Beauty.

Total mindless Wank.

Avoided Titanic as it had a "This films sucks" kind of gloss/aura around it.

As a forty-something near-divorcee I totally connect with American Beauty - not at all mindless.

Titanic, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

My nomination - Matrix Re-loaded, I'm still grumpy about the rental fee. £3.75!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Go watch the end again. They were super advaned robots , the end product of the evolution of AI from the 2000 since David lay at the bottom of the ocean after the apocalypse. The ending was hardly feel good to me, bitter sweet. The boy only had his mother for 24 hours.

The super advanced robots at the end could finally bring the boy what he wanted and what he wanted to hear after 2000 years of AI development.

The ending wrapped up the 2 hours before perfectly. I say again if you thought they were Aliens you didn't get it.

i'll watch it later. But being robots is just dumb and makes the ending even crapper as far as im concerned. Why would an AI bother to evolve physically, and if so why end up looking like aliens and not somthing more practical?

My interpretation of the end was that its the boys imagination - his AI had developed to the point where he was able to dream and create his own idea of reality.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They didn't look like aliens to me. They were his evolved family. After sinking to the bottom of the ocean, the earth was destroyed, or at least all humanity by the apocalypse. These robots discovered David, brought him to life and read his mind as he was the last AI contact with humans.

They in turn could grant him his wish with the lock of hair and there you have the ending.

I don't think it was his imagination.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The '83 cup final replay was well overated, although Manure don't seem to agree.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Gareth Glover said:
They didn't look like aliens to me. They were his evolved family. After sinking to the bottom of the ocean, the earth was destroyed, or at least all humanity by the apocalypse. These robots discovered David, brought him to life and read his mind as he was the last AI contact with humans.

They in turn could grant him his wish with the lock of hair and there you have the ending.

I don't think it was his imagination.

Exactly how I read it too. Don't see why that makes it crap though? Thought it was a fairly good development of the plot and the old, robots evolving idea.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
All this stuff about AI is missing the point.

The film was self indulgent beyond belief
The plot was dull as f***
The ending dragged on and on, could have wrapped it up an hour previously with ease.

It was one of the most pretentious films I have ever seen - I studied film and media studies at Uni a few years ago so I have seen a few..

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
The '83 cup final replay was well overated, although Manure don't seem to agree.

Agree, I totally ignore that one now

The first game was so much better.

We ended up sharing the Cup after that one, didn't we? :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh well if you studied films that must mean your right. I suppose students lambast Spielberg because he is the most successful director of all time. I suppose he has not made a good film has he.

And surely if it was the most pretentious film you have seen he must have got pretty close to how Kubrick would have directed it !.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Gareth Glover said:
Saving Private Ryan ???

The first 25 minutes of that film is the greatest cinema in the history of cinema , fact. Nothing has come close since or before. The rest as a whole is a 8.5 / 10 with an incredible finish as well.

The first 25 minutes is possibly the most realistic portrayal of war Hollywood has ever placed on screen the remainder of the film is the usual sentimental rubbish that has been associated with every war film ever made. Band of Brothers was much better because they had to stick to the real life story of the battalion rather than a story contrived by a Hollywood director.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is unbelievably shite and responsible for thousands of piss poor British imitators.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All the Lord of the Rings films

*dives for cover*

Not the worst films ever, just the most overrated.

In terms of completely shit films, anyone who's ever seen Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls will have trouble finding anything to top it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh I don't know I found it quite funny when Jim Carrey came out of the Rhino's arse.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suspect 2001: A Space Odyssey is probably the film equivalent of Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time, in that nobody particularly enjoyed it or understood it, but watched it just so they could say they had, and sound like an expert at dinner parties.

Incidentally, do people still have dinner parties other than in Nescafe ads?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a complete fraud. Crap plot, fake dialogue, patent cockernee cash-in. Cynical in the extreme.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Gareth Glover said:
Oh well if you studied films that must mean your right. I suppose students lambast Spielberg because he is the most successful director of all time. I suppose he has not made a good film has he.

And surely if it was the most pretentious film you have seen he must have got pretty close to how Kubrick would have directed it !.

steady on china, all I'm saying is that I've seen a lot of 'arty' 'well made' films.

I've got nothing against spielberg and think he does what he does very well. Kubrick is also one of my favourite directors - however i would say the last couple of films that kubrick did ie eyes wide shut and AI were bloody awful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here