Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Overrated Films Of All Time

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
In no particular order....

2001 A Space Oddysey
Withnail & I (I have traied desperatley to get it, but still don't).
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
Citizen Kane
Wizard Of Oz
Anything with Rowan Atkinson
The Spy Who Shagged Me
Waking Ned

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Voroshilov said:
I thought the sixth sense was overated because the twist was so bloody obvious.

Absolutely - After about 5 minutes I thought "Hang on a minute - Bruce Willis is the ghost", and that was slow !!

Also, Get Shorty. Went to see it becuase it appeared to have a great cast, Danny De Vito, Gene Hackman, John Travolta, but left the cimema trying to remember the plot - There wasn't one !!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saving Private Ryan ???

The first 25 minutes of that film is the greatest cinema in the history of cinema , fact. Nothing has come close since or before. The rest as a whole is a 8.5 / 10 with an incredible finish as well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Agree about the Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes which came out at the same time on a similar theme is vastly superior. People said " wait for the amazing twist at the end ", What that Willis was infact dead, that was obvious after 5 minutes ??? :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
American Beauty.

Total mindless Wank.

Avoided Titanic as it had a "This films sucks" kind of gloss/aura around it.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Gareth Glover said:
Saving Private Ryan ???

The first 25 minutes of that film is the greatest cinema in the history of cinema , fact. Nothing has come close since or before. The rest as a whole is a 8.5 / 10 with an incredible finish as well.

The cinematography in the first 10 mins is appauling. I watch a film to escape. Therefore transportation has to happen very quickly. If I notice bad continuity or photography the film is runied.

Hence I have been known to walk out of a cinema, or room untill the film is finished, as I will just pick holes in it, and make everyone elses life miserable.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its about 5 minutes before you are in the landing craft Looney , you must have a very short attention span :dunce: .

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Gareth Glover said:
The toruble with AI is that a lot of people didn't understand it. I don;t want to sound condescending but lots of people refer to the " aliens " at the end. I would say to them you have totally misunderstood the film and its message for the 2 hours before as the last 20 minutes ( referred to my some as the weakest part but to me it is the strongest part of the film ) is the answer and reconciliation for everything that happened before.

If you thought they were aliens, watch it again and pay attention this time.

I agree. I had the same conversation with a friend recently. They're NOT aliens I said to him (I did)...he didn't look convinced bit i know that I AM RIGHT.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes AP, they are super advanced robots , the final conclusion if you like to David's family of Artificial Intelligence. Evolution took the AI from David to the robots at the end. David was the last AI that could remember humans before the apocalypse , hense their reading his mind and experiences at the end. They also had the power to regenerate living being for 24 hours but only with material help, such as , his " mothers " hair kept by the Teddy.

There being able to bring back his " mother " and tell him what he has wanted for 2000 years was I found very moving indeed at the end.

I don;t think people understood the ending , the certainly didn;t if they thought they were aliens which means they misrepresented the end.

It wrapped the film up wonderfully for me.

I true gem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
GG, why are they evolved robots. Why not aliens, or his imagination? What is in the film to specifically point to them being robots and not something else?

I thought the film was very good, but disappointed by the ending and felt it was Spielberg baggage stuck on the end to appeal to the average american.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
beorhthelm said:
GG, why are they evolved robots. Why not aliens, or his imagination? What is in the film to specifically point to them being robots and not something else?

I thought the film was very good, but disappointed by the ending and felt it was Spielberg baggage stuck on the end to appeal to the average american.

they ARE robots. I'm annoyed cos I can't remember the ending so well, but don't they even SAY they are? and as GG said, are interested in the boy cos he is the closest contact they have with humans.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
God, there are so many:

Forrest Gump - the glorification if imbeciility
Sex, Lies and Videotape - deep and meaningless
Beaches - emotional manipulation of the worst kind (see also Stepmom and Steel Magnolias)
Pretty Woman, in fact anything with Richard Gere
Notting Hill - all life does not revolve around witty people having dinner parties

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here