Most Overrated Films Of All Time

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well I think AI is quality so :salute:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Blair Witch was utter and complete pap, I'll never understand why that was so hyped - oh, and Open Water too ... maybe it's just that sort of film I don't like, but they were total wank. Boring, boring and unsatisfying. And not slightly scary.

m20gull said:
Yes there is, a very simple one. But what's wrong with the gratuitous violence?

Call me squeamish but how are you supposed to enjoy these gangster films when all you see is peoples heads being clamped shut in vices or being given chelsea smiles etc. There's no need for it. Same with graphic sex scenes in films, why do they do it? If I wanna see shagging I'll hire Debbie Does Dallas.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree with Danny, the gratuitous violence is Reservoir Dogs for example with the ear cutting scene was just sick and to appeal to sicko's , it debased the whole film imho. Sick , Sad and Pathetic by a director running out of ideas to keep the viewers interested.

Reservoir Dogs was shit, yes a good call for most overrated film of all time.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He did redeem himself with Pulp Fiction which is one of the top 20 greatest films of all time. Tarantino has not come close before or after to that film. His Citizen Kane.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Titanic: -
Boat sinks, bloke dies, girl lives, Dion sings big and very irritating song. Could have done that in 5 mins and saved a lot of effort.

AI: -
Decent film until that ending. Regardless of whether they're aliens or robots it's still sentimental tosh that spoiled the rest of it.

Forrest Gump: -
Probably not as bad as my memory thinks it is, but stopped Pulp Fiction getting best film Oscar so in the hate list.

Two films I was dragged along to that I hated: - Legends of the Fall and Sweet Home Alabamha.

Magnolia, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty and Moulin Rouge should never be mentioned in the same breath as that lot!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
edna krabappel said:
I suspect 2001: A Space Odyssey is probably the film equivalent of Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time, in that nobody particularly enjoyed it or understood it, but watched it just so they could say they had, and sound like an expert at dinner parties.

Incidentally, do people still have dinner parties other than in Nescafe ads?
You're wrong 2001; A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece in my eyes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth Glover said:
I agree with Danny, the gratuitous violence is Reservoir Dogs for example with the ear cutting scene was just sick and to appeal to sicko's , it debased the whole film imho. Sick , Sad and Pathetic by a director running out of ideas to keep the viewers interested.

Reservoir Dogs was shit, yes a good call for most overrated film of all time.
I think that's harsh. Yes it was shocking but I don't think it was unjustified. If you are one of those people who don't like seeing gratuitous violence then I don't think you'll like any film where this sort of thing takes place.

My nomination as the most overrated film is a British film: Four Weddings & a Funeral. Yawn. But to be fair, Andy McDowall makes my skin crawl and Hugh Grant has since transpired to be a bit of a one trick pony. One Posh Brit saying "fuckity f***" several times and gibbering in front a plastic glazed-eyed american shampoo chick does not a good film make. :nono:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here