• No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ian Wright , others and professional football players may understand the difference but it escapes me . When exactly did the meme start ? Genuinely interested to learn

OK, I'll accept that. It can be confusing.

The meme started when that American athlete took the knee. But it didn't really become a thing in the UK till the captains of the EPL teams has a chat and agreed to do it, after a spate of horrible incidents in the US. If you recall NSC at he time when .

(I was unaware of the American organisation until someone on NSC helpfully sent me a link. It shouldn't mitigate against the meme any more than the existence of a few dumb commies should mitigate against Starmer's labour party, or indeed a few hangem and floggem old tossers, or its present leadership - which is an aberration and won't last forever - should mitigate against the Conservative party).

People like Wright, and the journalist Dotun Adebayo have spoken (all part of the meme as it is now) eloquently about the issue (of racism) and the knee taking without once referring to the American organization. It seems the only people who bother with the latter (like Fox News, who appear to see the BLM gang as the go-to people whenever race comes up) are people wanting to stir things up. (A bit like how other seek interviews with the oaf Corbyn every time antisemitism comes up in the labour party - the interviewers simply want Corbyn to put his foot in it, and he obliges every time).

Likewise 'Antifa' which has been used by the malicious to imply that opposing fascism is itself a form of terrorism and treachery. They should go back to 1939 (in their mind's eye, if they can muster one) and tell that to Winston Churchill

It was Adebayo who really caught my attention when he spoke at length during an interview on radio 5. It has been easy for me to distance myself from the racism experienced by some of my fellow Brits - it doesn't affect me and my normal reaction was that I didn't want to think about it. I reached a point where I though I should oppose it always and not just shrug my shoulders and jog on. So I do.

I have, thankfully, not slipped into the 'they bring it on themselves' rabbit hole, either, I hope, not since I was a teen in the 70s (I'd never spoken to a black person till I went to university, so they were easy to disregard). So to see some folk (one now banned from NSC) responding to conversations about racism by posting links to stories about black people doing bad things, has made me quite cross.

These days I think of racism as just a form of bullying. Personally I struggle with attitudes I consider to be fundamentally wrong. Ironically my reaction can itself be one of bullying. I'm trying to be better, but it can be a struggle.

I hope that makes sense :thumbsup:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
As compelling and in-depth as this argument is I thought I might try and dig just a little deeper.

I found this article from The Conversation that unpacks a number of different studies into racism in the UK.

https://theconversation.com/how-racist-is-britain-today-what-the-evidence-tells-us-141657

It's findings are that, in fact, no people are not all treated equally.

[MENTION=33983]BeHereNow[/MENTION] I would be very interested in where you have gathered your data from to reach your conclusion?

‘Evidence’. I think you’ll find it’s more to do with class than race.

So, no, I don’t think Britain is racist, as much as you want it to be :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Defund the police' is (was) right up there with Global Warning as misleading catch all soundbites.

Many, many American police forces are rebranded Army divisions.

They have been able to buy themselves state of the arm weapons, body armour even armoured personal carriers:-

Wheels-of-Justice.png

swat-3.si.jpg

Defund the police is/was:-

'If your budget can afford this shite, how about having less spending money and 'we' collectively spend more money on the root causes of crime, instead'.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
How do you explain the systemic racism in this country. And what the bloody hell are you blathering on about Japan and north africa for!?

I don’t believe there is systematic racism is this country anymore. We are currently living in the best time for a black person to be alive in this country, or any other minority in fact.

You brought up the past and how ‘we’ have to make up for it, even though we had nothing to do with it. So, I’m wondering if you think the North Africans and Japanese need to make up for what they did to our people in the past. Pretty simple really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seemingly, once again, it's time for Jane Elliot to step into the conversation

Jan 30, 2008
At the risk of derailing the thread, if you want to look at who is responsible to defunding the police in England, we have lost 20,000 officers since 2010 due to a decision called austerity. The whole Criminal Justice System has been defunded.

BLM in the U.K. simply means Black Lives Matter and is nothing to do with the Americans. It is not a movement here, so don’t lump every gesture good or bad, in with the description.

Yet we had people parading around in Brixton in para military style clothing in the name of BLM, give your head a wobble
Regards
DF

10 per cent of this messageboard are closet racists, which to be fair is slightly lower than I would have guessed

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
You can believe what you want. But, just like believing the earth is flat, you can be spectacularly wrong.
Make up is the wrong phrase really. Undo the systemic oppression that is a result of those past behaviours. We should be fixing them. And yes, that applied to other countries as well.

Fixing what exactly? Where are your stats? You can’t just say ‘systemic racism’ is real just because the BBC and other leftie media tell you it is.

I don’t subscribe to your race-baiting, victimhood kind of politics.

Race relations were the best they’d ever been in this country up until ‘BLM’ marched through our streets desecrating our statues, and you think people should be applauding them in the name of ‘progression’.

And obviously you didn’t read one of my previous posts pointing out out how black people have never had it as good as now. If we were under ‘systematic racism’ none of that stuff would’ve happened. You need to open your eyes and stop pretending there is some kind of conspiracy holding black people back, because it’s pretty evident that the opposite is happening.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it really a question of who is in favour? The players and the game are collective making a stand. Whether you, I or anyone else is in favour or not is irrelevant if they feel they want to continue with their action. If they collectively decide to stop, so be it. I’m not sure why people are worried about it. It’s not even 10secs of time taken up before KO.

At the end of the day it’s a stand about equality. How can anyone be against equality? :shrug:

Those who are more equals than others

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weird, this post now looks like an expunged CIA document as nearly all the most recent posts are hidden, due to the posters being on my ignore list - strange that!

:lolol:

Same for me, too.

proper_redaction_matters.jpg

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Fixing what exactly? Where are your stats? You can’t just say ‘systemic racism’ is real just because the BBC and other leftie media tell you it is.

Race relations were the best they’d ever been in this country up until ‘BLM’ marched through our streets desecrating our statues, and you think people should be applauding them in the name of ‘progression’.

And obviously you didn’t read one of my previous posts pointing out out how black people have never had it as good as now. If we were under ‘systematic racism’ none of that stuff would’ve happened. You need to open your eyes and stop pretending there is some kind of conspiracy holding black people back, because it’s pretty evident that the opposite is happening.

Jesus wept. There’s just so much wrong with all of this I don’t even know where to start. However, I’m not sure it’s possible to have a sensible discussion with anyone who thinks the BBC is ‘leftie’ and that systematic racism doesn’t exist because ‘it isn’t as bad to be black now’ as it was, say, 20 years ago.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Worth noting that BeHereNow used their NSC profile to push alt-right/white supremacist propaganda, didn't like being called out as a racist and then went on to suggest there's some nefarious agenda in showing mixed race couples on TV.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Do you genuinely believe that ethnic minorities are treated exactly the same as whites in the UK? That people don't harbour preconceptions about ethnic groups? I infer from your comments that you accept that discrimination exists but they should suck it up. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be interested to know more about the conspiracy promoting the advancement of Blacks.

You mentioned class earlier, and I fully agree that the entrenched system in Britain needs dismantling. The class system affects minorities too though.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yet we had people parading around in Brixton in para military style clothing in the name of BLM, give your head a wobble
Regards
DF

What para-military clothing was that...black jeans from GAP? Just as an observation, it seems like the majority of people who comment "give your head a wobble" are dim.

Regards

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

So I presume that you are a black person and therefore qualified to say "black people have never had it as good as now". Are you talking about black people in Britain who are mainly descended from enslaved Africans? If so, yeah I suppose things are better for them, but it's pretty flippin' obvious that there still isn't a level playing field, apart from ironically on the playing field.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Worth noting that BeHereNow used their NSC profile to push alt-right/white supremacist propaganda, didn't like being called out as a racist and then went on to suggest there's some nefarious agenda in showing mixed race couples on TV.

Thanks for the heads up. I do like to keep abreast of the impact being made on NSC by the jokers I have on ignore. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here