Votes: 34 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ian Wright , others and professional football players may understand the difference but it escapes me . When exactly did the meme start ? Genuinely interested to learn

The Black Lives Matter hashtag came to prominence after the acquittal of Trayvon Martin's killer. That was about 7 years ago. Since then a large network of activists and groups have united behind the slogan. It's a movement, not a single organisation. No single group owns the rights to the slogan or wields power over the global movement.

Happy to be corrected but the above is true to the best if my knowledge.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would hazard an uneducated guess that there is a correlation between the people who boo taking the knee and those who get all het up about black people being shown celebrating Christmas on a TV advert. They don't actually know that much about the real issues, they just know it's "PC gone mad" and it's just the latest thing their echo chamber has told them to be angry about. I just don't get why they can't just be happy to back watching their team. I am also pessimistic that we may hear the same nonsense on Monday evening.

Do people genuinely get offended about Black People Celebrating Christmas ?

I wasn't too aware that happens much.

Most Black people throughout history actually had Christianity forced upon them by their Slave Owners hundreds of years ago and are actually more " God Fearing " than the people who forced it upon them.

The others were introduced to Christianity by the Catholic Church via Missionaries from Colonial Catholic Countries like France Spain Portugal and Britain to their Colonial Lands in Africa.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wont be taking the knee.

Yes of course I would not boo it, but I do not back the BLM movement. There are better ways to address racism than defunding the police and introducing the far left of the political spectrum into our lives.

At the risk of derailing the thread, if you want to look at who is responsible to defunding the police in England, we have lost 20,000 officers since 2010 due to a decision called austerity. The whole Criminal Justice System has been defunded.

BLM in the U.K. simply means Black Lives Matter and is nothing to do with the Americans. It is not a movement here, so don’t lump every gesture good or bad, in with the description.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Do people genuinely get offended about Black People Celebrating Christmas ?

I wasn't too aware that happens much.

There was some online backlash against the Sainsbury's add. A few viewers seemed upset that something, God knows what, was being rammed down their throats. Embarrassingly, my attention was drawn to this by a Spanish guy who wanted to know why British people were angry about a black family appearing in an advert.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No, but it’s potentially time to stop it now due to it losing its impact.

I was thinking that may be why some were booing - had to be part of it at least..? And yes I’m sure some were just horrible racists.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tell you what, I'll consider it time to end the panto when you can use an apostrophe properly.

Errm .. he did (in 'let's'. I missed the missing one in Marxists though, although better still would have been to omit the 's'!)

Could have done without the space before the comma though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I HAD TO WITNESS PEOPLE TAKING THE KNEE FOR TEN SECONDS.. I'M OUTRAGED! !

Fecking ridiculous or racist intent? It's fairly obvious really.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Only bothered to read a few pages of this thread. God it’s so boring. Same sanctimonious pricks and antagonists who appear everytime. Wishing you covid this Christmas...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Did you boo MA Mark 2? :wink:

I guess Jeff Wood and Hinshelwood and maybe Mark McGhee in his last couple of months were on the receiving end?

No I was on the wireless for all four of those, plus Mark McGhee went and sat with the family of a Junior Seagull on Christmas Eve in 2004 who had been killed in a road accident 3 days before, so he could have shot Dick Knight or Liz Costa in the back and I still wouldn’t have turned on him.

Booed Barry, Jimmy (sadly) and Hypia.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was thinking that may be why some were booing - had to be part of it at least..? And yes I’m sure some were just horrible racists.

Absolutely some horrible racists.

Some Colchester fans Booed as well

I think there is more to it than all fans that booed are racist, the Millwall fan defence is that they don’t agree with elements of BLM and some of the actions in the summer - flag burning in London etc.

I think what Stonewall laces/kick it out do and have a whole weekend of actions and promotion has more of an impact, I don’t think anyone really pays attention to the knee anymore.

Whilst completely different, QPR and Coventry got loads of a shit for stopping, I get the feeling clubs would like to move away from it and do there own thing

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There was some online backlash against the Sainsbury's add. A few viewers seemed upset that something, God knows what, was being rammed down their throats. Embarrassingly, my attention was drawn to this by a Spanish guy who wanted to know why British people were angry about a black family appearing in an advert.

Weird what offends people eh 🤐

I have a friend who is Pakistani. She is one of 6 daughters. Her whole family love Christmas. They all exchange Christmas presents with each other and have a big family Christmas Dinner together.

All of them are Muslim but as they all get Christmas holiday off from work they love getting that time together to have all their family back together.

They love it and her Christmas card to me is always the first card to arrive through my door every year.

So daft that people getting offended at people being happy in life. Each to their own I suppose. They no doubt would prefer to see them fit their own Muslim stereotype.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Only bothered to read a few pages of this thread. God it’s so boring. Same sanctimonious pricks and antagonists who appear everytime. Wishing you covid this Christmas...

oh! Can't I have that new lego I wanted then?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Weird what offends people eh 🤐

I have a friend who is Pakistani. She is one of 6 daughters. Her whole family love Christmas. They all exchange Christmas presents with each other and have a big family Christmas Dinner together.

All of them are Muslim but as they all get Christmas holiday off from work they love getting that time together to have all their family back together.

They love it and her Christmas card to me is always the first card to arrive through my door every year.

So daft that people getting offended at people being happy in life. Each to their own I suppose. They no doubt would prefer to see them fit their own Muslim stereotype.

I have posted this before, but when I lived up north, our Muslim neighbours always gave us a card, and also gave us a bottle of wine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Errm .. he did (in 'let's'. I missed the missing one in Marxists though, although better still would have been to omit the 's'!)

Could have done without the space before the comma though.

Look out for another poster with the same views who also posts a space before the comma. Quite a coincidence eh?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Look out for another poster with the same views who also posts a space before the comma. Quite a coincidence eh?
I've noticed posts with spaces before the comma, but never really connected them with any particular individuals - and had no idea they were an indication of political persuasion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here