Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Middle East conflict

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Israel has no intention of backing down from its incursions into Lebanon which is driving the new level of escalation.

The White House has just issued a warning that an attack on Israel will be met with ‘severe consequences’ for Iran.

Iran however, will not sit on the sidelines and see Lebanon be destroyed the way Gaza has been.

Netanyahu has just announced that Israel is in a fight with the ‘axis of evil”.
I think that is the gamble that Netanyahu is taking, he thinks they will stay on the side line while he reduces the threat from Hezbollah.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
With this conflict spreading across the Middle East in many directions, I have merged the various threads together now.
Thanks @Bozza

And a sensible but worrying change of thread title.

It is inevitable that Iran will respond on some kind to Israel’s proposed invasion of Lebanon.

Last time Iran retaliated - Israel had at least 10 minutes warning because the first wave was drones and it was military installations only that were targeted. It is not certain what the targets will be in response to the killing of the Hezbollah leader and incursion of Lebanon in the past day.

If Hezbollah decide to launch the 1000’s of missiles they have buried along the Lebanese border and the Houthis join in, even without a ballistic missiles from Iran, Israel could sustain damage to residential areas.

Then we are caught up in a cycle of retaliation.

Netanyahu has announced today that Israel is at war with the ‘Iran’s axis of evil’ - there is no doubt now that he sees Israel as engaging in a wider ME conflict and will be relying on the US and allied Countries, including the UK to defend her.

Hostages forgotten?

Israel will do what Israel wants and it is obvious now to all international observers that the US and the rest of the international community has been powerless observers in an agenda driven by the political ambitions of one extremist Zionist leader in a far right government.

Netanyahu has had the defeat of Iran on his political radar for decades he built his political career on it - his agenda to provoke a war with Iran is slowly unfolding
. Trump tearing up the Nuclear Deal ( which provide a process to inspect Iran’s Nuclear programme ) and - the 7/10 massacre - has given him his casus belli.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"A report was received a short time ago regarding a shooting incident in Tel Aviv.

There are multiple casualties, according to the police spokesperson unit there.

The initial suspicion of motive is terror, they add."

😔

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A short while ago, missiles were launched from Iran towards Israel, the Israeli military says in a statement.

It adds that sirens have sounded all across Israel.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Iran preparing a missile strike on Israel according to the US. One step closer to blockading the Straights of Hormuz. I believe we are on the brink of war folks.
Brink? It’s been going on for years already.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My bold

So nearly 17K children slaughtered in Gaza since 7/10/23 is "taking care"? Hmmmm. Ok, if you say so.
Your use of the word ‘slaughtered’ indicates bias. Why not “killed” out of interest?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think that is the gamble that Netanyahu is taking, he thinks they will stay on the side line while he reduces the threat from Hezbollah.
Then he called it wrong. Hezbollah are not going to fold and Iran won’t watch from the sidelines - Israel’s actions since October have pushed Hezbollah to an all out war.

I am really not condoning any retaliation from Hezbollah or Iran but in recent months, Israel has all but destroyed Gaza, killing 10s of 1,000s of civilians, destroying mosques, schools, hospitals and refugee camps and 70% of the infrastructure. They have fired 8 times more rockets into Lebanon than Hezbollah, caused 3,000 injuries with the booby trapped pagers, killed the leader of Hamas, leader of Hezbollah and targeted top military Iranian leader in Damascus - all of which might seem like a victory to Israel - unless Hezbollah and Iran retaliate with force.

I suggested this possible scenario nearly a year ago on this thread - it is all very predictable where this is going.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What does Iran hope to achieve by this? It feels like suicide from them. What is their end game?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Can someone answer the below Q's please, honest questions as I don't know the answers on this one Re. Lebanon.
  • Who are Hezbollah, are they mainly Lebanese or a gathering of multi-national fanatics a la ISIS ?
  • Why/How did the Official Lebanese government let them become so powerful on their territory
  • Why does Iran support/arm them?, is it purely because they occupy a land border with Israel ?
  • Are Hezbollah the reason why Christian population has decreased from 50% to 30%
  • WTF are 10k British people doing there ?
There are 10K people with British passports. I’m confident most speak English as a second language. It’s dead easy to get a British passport. Half the world has one. To be truly British these days, or any nationality for that matter, you probably only have one option as to your nationality. One of my mates has 4 different passport nationalities. And no, he’s not a criminal, but he does move around the world like I do the M25!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What does Iran hope to achieve by this? It feels like suicide from them. What is their end game?
They have to do something or they are a laughing stock. Huge kudos amongst the angry anti Israeli groups around the middle East if Iran can land a punch or two.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As with basically the entirety of the last 50 years, it’s all tit-for-tat back-and-forth where Israel does something, so Iran has to be seen to do something to avoid “losing face”, so Israel has to do something, so Iran has to do something and so on and so forth.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There are 10K people with British passports. I’m confident most speak English as a second language. It’s dead easy to get a British passport. Half the world has one. To be truly British these days, or any nationality for that matter, you probably only have one option as to your nationality. One of my mates has 4 different passport nationalities. And no, he’s not a criminal, but he does move around the world like I do the M25!

A lot of those with British passports are likely to be the children of those who fled during the Lebanese civil war (1975-1990). A mate at uni was one such child. He was born in England in 1983 and English was very much his first language. To suggest that people who have been in the country 40-odd years, possibly born in the UK, aren't really British is a bit misguided.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like Iron Dome has been overwhelmed at times, Looks like plenty of missiles got through but no serious injuries reported...could it be they have fired symbolic missiles without the warhead ? or, with a much reduced payload ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here