Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Middle East conflict

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Golan is simply occupied as a spoil of war, you know, when Syria attempted to invade Israel, then Israel fought back and now maintain Golan as a buffer zone.
Yes, in much the same way as the Germans occupied Alsace and Lorraine after the war of 1871, a move which eventually led to the grievances which caused the Great War.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
The irony being you’d get a far right coalition instead who only listened to itself. Much like the Israeli government.

We've got a far right coalition (Labour) with an authoritarian Leadership who are puppets at the very least (more totally embroiled in through historical colonialism) and supportive of a Genocidal maniac. Farage wouldn't be so far away.

Still, I'm sure Starmer and Lammy have had a nice dinner with Trump.

It depends on perspective.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That’s actually a pretty sensible statement given the tension in the region. I doubt they’ll stop their own war in Yemen though. And for a truly unified Arab / Muslim front Iran and Iraq will have to have a cuddle and Syria will need to unite.

Actual physical resistance to Israel is still likely to only come from terrorist organisations rather than national armies. That’s why Iran didn’t want to escalate and it’s what Netanyahu has gambled on.
I think it may be more for domestic consumption? The general population of other Arab countries are as outraged as the rest of us. Israel has to be very cautious. My opinion obviously.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If Israel want peace, why do they occupy the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights? Who do they think they are, Russia?
Certainly a question mark over the ongoing status of the West Bank, but Gaza has not been "occupied" since 2005, and the Golan Heights is a spoil of war when Syria and others attempted to invade and destroy Israel, Israel maintains it as a buffer zone to ensure Syria, and others, cannot easily get access to murder more Israeli citizens.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I think it may be more for domestic consumption? The general population of other Arab countries are as outraged as the rest of us. Israel has to be very cautious. My opinion obviously.
You’ve obviously not seen the numerous images and videos of Syrians & Iranians celebrating Israel’s victories. I’d share but it would cause outrage amongst the gang

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Welcome to imo, all for this thread being updated with news, thoughts and perceptions globally if relevant.
Yep and they can be as mental as you like, without any basis in fact.

For example, it seems fine to suggest the UK Government, elected in a democratic landslide, are actually an authoritarian, fascist coalition 😂😂😂😂😂

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gaza has not been "occupied" since 2005

It's still considered to be occupied under international law.

and the Golan Heights is a spoil of war

Spoil of war? What is this, the middle ages?

Israel maintains it as a buffer zone to ensure Syria, and others, cannot easily get access to murder more Israeli citizens.

It's not a buffer zone, Israel use the land as their own.

Israel's inability to see things from the another point of view may well be their downfall.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It's still considered to be occupied under international law.

It's not a buffer zone, Israel use the land as their own.

Israel's inability to see things from the another point of view may well be their downfall.
The irony in that last sentence is epic

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
In large swathes of the ME, Islam certainly keeps cultural progression supressed somewhat.... people living as aligned to a dogma born out of a mythical person of dubious reputation within medieval parameters for life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here