Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micropubs - will this catch on in Brighton?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Where is the Kemptown brewery anyway? Is it above the Hand in Hand?

They seem to advertise it in there but I rarely ever see any Kemptown ales on the taps

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, yes, yes - you and your taste buds hate each other.

I think we've got that now.

What the hell is it with you? This isn't a comment about the quality or taste of the pies at all. Wherever you go in the Amex there is a sickly smell of microwaved lard and loads of people complain about it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

They seem to advertise it in there but I rarely ever see any Kemptown ales on the taps

It was; I thought it closed about a year ago? They used to have around 5 of their own plus one guest.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

According to Brighton & South Downs CAMRA
"Over the last few months (May 2012) Matt and the new brewer Gary Sillence have been rebuilding and updating the brewery. Gary will be brewing beers under the Kemptown name for sale exclusively on the premises. Separately, he will have a new Brighton-based 'gypsy' or 'cuckoo' brewery which is the Brighton Bier Co. These beers will be sold both at The Hand in Hand and elsewhere in the Brighton & Hove area."
So the Brighton Bier Co. output sounds ideal for this sort of venture

Sussex Breweries

Another very good shout for a local micro-brewery is Rectory Ales at East Street. Also detailed on the link above
"Founded 1995 by Rev. Godfrey Broster, the Rector of Plumpton, to generate funds for the maintenance of three parish churches, with 107 parishioners as shareholders."

Adur Brewery at Steyning are quality too. Their Black William Stout went down very well at Yapton beer festival last weekend.

Best Brewery in Sussex outside of Dark Star and Harveys in my opinion are Langham Brewery - Beers: Hip Hop, Florale, Festivale, Langham Special Dark, but they're a touch further from Brighton at Lodsworth near Petworth.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Hove does need some new pubs. It's a complete wasteland for boozers. Good luck with this venture.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I spoke to someone connected to the venue when it closed and BarFly were temporarily closing it for a refurbishment and were still totally committed to the venue. One can only imagine how lavish this now 5 year overhaul will be. Or maybe the owners were bullshitting?

Or maybe my info is incorrect! Something is certainly being done inside the venue. It would be great if a micro brewery set up shop as it would add a lot to the area.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What the hell is it with you? This isn't a comment about the quality or taste of the pies at all. Wherever you go in the Amex there is a sickly smell of microwaved lard and loads of people complain about it.

Well, I've had plenty - and never has a microwaved one, or one that tasted or smelled of lard. Is that going to be next season's new flavour?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I spoke to someone connected to the venue when it closed and BarFly were temporarily closing it for a refurbishment and were still totally committed to the venue. One can only imagine how lavish this now 5 year overhaul will be. Or maybe the owners were bullshitting?

Defo BS by the Barfly. There were 10 Barflys (I think) nationwide, now there is one, the Camden one. The company effectively does not exist anymore. My understanding of the Gloucester (having worked there for a while) is that the original owner, who had it for years and years (until C-side bought him out) lives in the flat above. While he owned it the noise the club made was not a problem, as he was at work. Once he sold it he kicked up a fuss about the noise levels coming from downstairs. To reopen it as a venue serious money would need to be spent on sound proofing, so it is just not viable anymore.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well, I've had plenty - and never has a microwaved one, or one that tasted or smelled of lard. Is that going to be next season's new flavour?

I thought they were all microwaved? that's why the pastry tends to be soft, rather than crisp.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Forgot to say in my earlier post, very good to everyone involved in this. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it and will look forward to sampling at such time as you manage to get up and running.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Went to both The Brewer's in Herne and another 'micro' called the Conqueror in Ramsgate,over the easter weekend this year. Both were absolutely superb - micro is definitely a good description because with about 10 people (and two dogs) inside the Brewers was packed, you really have no option but to talk with everyone around you. In some ways it could be compared to a tube train in London BUT with A) Alcohol and B) everybody realising they can actually talk.

Herne itself is tiny and there is one pub over the road as well, but the brewers has been around for a number of years and inspired others to set up their own micros in exotic places like Hartlepool and Newark as well as three others elsewhere in Thanet. if they'll work there they'll work anywhere.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I was looking at this a year or so ago, but for a number of reasons had fallen off my radar. Give it a year or two and I think I may be in a position to make this a reality!

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Do they? Oh, right.

Sorry.

No idea where the sickly smell of microwaved lard would be coming from though, cause it ain't the pies.

The Falmer West,South and East(havn't been in the north yet) Concourses DO smell of Piglets Pies,aint saying it is a bad thing just that the concouses do have a distinct pie aroma.
It is distinct but not unpleasant.Now,Subway... there is a food outlet that stinks to high gut spewing heaven.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hove does need some new pubs. It's a complete wasteland for boozers. Good luck with this venture.

Is Hove really short of boozers? I seem to have drunk in quite a few over there. The real wasteland is north of the Vogue gyratory - that's a massive area, taking in Lewes Rd, Bevendean, Coombe Rd/Meadowview, Bates Estate, Moulsecoomb, Hollingdean and Coldean. If I can count correctly, there are just three pubs serving the whole area (if you're counting beyond the Bear and the White Crow). Hove is a boozer's paradise compared to that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Falmer West,South and East(havn't been in the north yet) Concourses DO smell of Piglets Pies,aint saying it is a bad thing just that the concouses do have a distinct pie aroma.
It is distinct but not unpleasant.Now,Subway... there is a food outlet that stinks to high gut spewing heaven.

The whole stadium smells of the pies, I agree - and it's wonderful. In fact, for me, it's the over-riding olfactory sensation associated with the ground - in the same way you had burger fat and piss at The Goldstone, and curry sauce at Withdean.

I'm just wondering where the 'microwaved lard' bit comes in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is Hove really short of boozers? I seem to have drunk in quite a few over there. The real wasteland is north of the Vogue gyratory - that's a massive area, taking in Lewes Rd, Bevendean, Coombe Rd/Meadowview, Bates Estate, Moulsecoomb, Hollingdean and Coldean. If I can count correctly, there are just three pubs serving the whole area (if you're counting beyond the Bear and the White Crow). Hove is a boozer's paradise compared to that.

You can thank urban planning for that.

Any estate (you hardly ever get straight roads and streets built these days) built in Brighton after 1910 - after DoRA, in fact - is unlikely to have a boozer nearby. Almost everything before that did have one. Indeed, think of how many pubs have gone in central Brighton over the past 50 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here