Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micropubs - will this catch on in Brighton?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does it work getting a license then? Is it really as simple as it is suggested in link?

Did anyone on here go to the rather wonderful Cask Inn place in Doncaster? I wonder how difficult it would be to open up a bar like this? All this place seemed to be was an old shop, a weekend of handy mates building a bar and a few pumps. The NSC Arms could be a reality (I'm semi-serious)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How does it work getting a license then? Is it really as simple as it is suggested in link?

You sign up to go on the Licensee's day course (through BIIAB) - they do it at City College in Pelham Street, among others - where they run you through the obligations and laws regarding being a licensee. When I did it about five years ago, it was £150. Once you pass that exam (piece of piss), you can then apply to be a Licence Holder, though you then have to be checked by the Police and CRB (another expense).

BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders - BII Awarding Body

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
F*ck the euro-fizzy pop! Joking aside, one would assume that for Lager you need refrigerated basements which need to be on a motored pump and it's all a lot more expensive. Ales can be kept at room temperature and pumped manually by hand, keeping it all simple, no stupid kit like pumps with condensation running down them.

Ahhh, I see - I was all prepared to stand outside HTs new place with a placard against the oppression of lager drinkers!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield

Did anyone on here go to the rather wonderful Cask Inn place in Doncaster? I wonder how difficult it would be to open up a bar like this? All this place seemed to be was an old shop, a weekend of handy mates building a bar and a few pumps. The NSC Arms could be a reality (I'm semi-serious)

I have my license already if you need a hand with anything?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Right, found a nice cheap premises in Kemp Town. Need some fixtures and fittings and a deal with a local microbrewery (most likely Dark Star). Who's in?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Ouch. I'm genuinely gutted reading that. Lindfield sits about halfway between my home and my parents' so The Stand Up has always been the perfect location to catch up with the old man, convenient for both of us. Looks like I'm going to have to do some research into the next best option now

I know its a massive shame to be honest. Since Gerry Ryan sold the Witch it was always my first stop. I've been going in the Red Lion just up the road recently. Not a bad pub really, decent beer garden and its £2.70 for a pint of Harveys but interested to see who takes over the Stand Up. As long as the Landlord drops his rent demands obviously

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I know its a massive shame to be honest. Since Gerry Ryan sold the Witch it was always my first stop. I've been going in the Red Lion just up the road recently. Not a bad pub really, decent beer garden and its £2.70 for a pint of Harveys but interested to see who takes over the Stand Up. As long as the Landlord drops his rent demands obviously

Actually when I last visited Lindfield and found the Stand Up was shut the Red Lion was the pub I visited instead. Very decent price for a Harveys and a pleasant enough boozer but didn't have the ambience of the Stand Up

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its great, but why the "micro-pub" tag? after all this is how public houses started in the first place, serving beer out the front room of someone house. can we just call them pubs please?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Actually when I last visited Lindfield and found the Stand Up was shut the Red Lion was the pub I visited instead. Very decent price for a Harveys and a pleasant enough boozer but didn't have the ambience of the Stand Up

Correct on all accounts. Nothing wrong with it, service can be slow but thats just me being picky.

Certainly beats The Bent Arms and The White Horse............and the Witch will clearly never be the same, especially for an Albion supporter

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I like this,

A local pub for local people: Drink - The Independent

I quite fancy the idea of Herr Tubthumper's Fine Ale, Craft Beer and Crisps Emporium. Plenty of closed shops in Hove as well, not to mention lack of decent boozers.

I've been there. All they had was flippin harveys and dark star! :)

Also the one armed landlord was a little rude to my girlfriend, well she thought so anyway. I did get to see the cellar though on the way through to the toilet.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Ok, I can tell you what I could bring to the table.... A Personal License. I also know the owners of Hammerpot and Beachy Head Breweries and can get barrels off of them at reasonable prices (I bought one for a barbecue last weekend from Hammerpot - 72 pints for £69.80 inc VAT). Helpful? If anyone is serious about giving this a go, let me know, I've run my own twice, and only came out because I was getting raped by the companies I went through

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its great, but why the "micro-pub" tag? after all this is how public houses started in the first place, serving beer out the front room of someone house. can we just call them pubs please?

I agree with your comment about this being how pubs first started but I presume they need this tag to differentiate them from what we currently term a pub. These new micropubs do seem quite different in many ways: quite ramshackle/DIY/personalised by the owner, more a labour of love than a money making empire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok, I can tell you what I could bring to the table.... A Personal License. I also know the owners of Hammerpot and Beachy Head Breweries and can get barrels off of them at reasonable prices (I bought one for a barbecue last weekend from Hammerpot - 72 pints for £69.80 inc VAT). Helpful? If anyone is serious about giving this a go, let me know, I've run my own twice, and only came out because I was getting raped by the companies I went through

I do not want to say I'm serious but this has really got me thinking, especially as Hove has f**k all decent pubs and plenty of empty shops; could a group of us could get hold of an old shop and convert it into a rather ramshackle micropub as a hobby/a bit of fun? I have a day job so I cannot commit to much in the day. Maybe I could be chief taster? It could be a fun investment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do not want to say I'm serious but this has really got me thinking, especially as Hove has f**k all decent pubs and plenty of empty shops; could a group of us could get hold of an old shop and convert it into a rather ramshackle micropub as a hobby/a bit of fun? I have a day job so I cannot commit to much in the day. Maybe I could be chief taster? It could be a fun investment.

When I sold my flat and had a few quid (before spunking it on a poorly though out venture), I considered doing just that.

The idea - or the kernel of one - was to have a bar which served Czech, Belgian and German beer - on draught and in bottles - for consumption on and off the premises, in a small shop unit on a residential street - the sort of place that now hosts estate agents and the like - on my side of town (as opposed to Hove). It would have been the good stuff, sold at what would probably be a premium rate. I only ever got as far as doing the licensing course.

I can see where you're taking this idea. For all that I can offer (not much, admittedly), it's the sort of thing I'd love to be involved in.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield

Financially, I can't offer much, but I can offer a degree of expertise (Casque Marked for EVERY pub I've run), and knowledge. I'll help in any way I can, and I have a bit of time on my hands for the next few months so if anyone is truly interested, then I could help.

Here's one to get everyone thinking though....anyone thought of a NAME yet??

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Also, the easiest way to start is smaller than small - start by buying polypins and bottles where possible -as opposed to barrels. It keeps the wastage to a minimum, and it also helps you to develop a good stock control system - if something doesn't sell well, don't buy it again, but cruicially because you've not bought much, your not going to lose so much. Something sells out in an hour - get it again, maybe in larger quantities.

Also, another thing I would advocate is by learning how to make Sausage Rolls, Scotch Eggs and stuff like that. You'd be amazed at how little it costs to make, but how much you can sell home made stuff like that for.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I am SO in.

Seriously, been scouting about and found an IDEAL premises which would cost under £10,000 a year all in. It's a good location at a great price. I can bring bar experience to the table but perhaps more importantly would take on responsibility for marketing the place through digital campaigns and social media, as is my day job.

Let's make it happen

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
lets meet for a pint after the opening game of the season (anyone thats interested), and discuss this properly. As in over a beer, not a keyboard :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here